OT - Cell phones

Page 1 of 3
My cell phone died. LG VX-5500. A year and a half old, not that old. Took my old backup phone to the cell store, and got the service moved over.
New phone arrives tomorrow, Fed Ex. I'm amazed how essential cell phone is, in my life. Not sure what I did before they were invented.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Here's where you should have gotten your new phone.
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/Home.aspx
That way if you were too lazy to work our great leader in Washington fixed it so you could get a free phone and free service at the expense of the tax paying citizens.

You mean like the near trillion dollars of taxpayer money given to crooked financial institutions?
nb
On 10/6/2010 10:58 PM, notbob wrote:

It is a shame and shows how corrupt both sides are. Congress is the only one who can authorize such payments and the democrat Congress with Pilosi having the gavel in her hand as speaker approved "helping" the pirate organizations.
That is why organizations such as the tea party have sprung up because the average person is tired of politicians who are owned by special interests.

Yet yesterday, the Administration was touting how much of that had already been paid back or would soon be paid back. Which is it?
and name it after the IRS.

You know, it's a curious thing that Obama and the Dems haven't made a point of explaining that 90% of the $787Bil TARP money has either been paid back or is no longer at risk. The last estimate I heard recently was that they think the govt will lose $70bil tops, with the real possibility of it actually being zero or showing a profit. Yet almost everyone keeps acting like the money was just given to the banks and other businesses with no repayment. Instead the Dems just keep taking a beating, which they should for plenty of other reasons, but not for this.
It's also interesting that the TARP plan was initiated under the final months of Bush, was counted towards the Bush deficit that Obama likes to point to that he inherited. But $700 bil of that deficit the govt has or is getting back, hence it did not really increase the national debt. The spending Obama has done after that was the money that was truly handed out, really added to the deficit, and will never be paid back.
On 10/7/2010 6:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Why not? What everyone I know and I think is that the pirates should have been left to fail and more honest institutions should have taken over just like with any other failure.
Its a behavioral thing. Assuming you have children suppose your teenager carelessly wrapped their car around a tree. How much of a lesson do you think it would be if you woke them up the next morning and said "honey, I know you didn't mean it so hear are the keys to a new car I just bought for you" or suppose your brother in law was an irresponsible gambler and came to you for money and you said "OK Bob, let me get my checkbook, will $100,000 be enough?

But the democrat Congress (the division of government that holds the purse strings) was in control for the last two years of the Bush administration. They could have simply said no. They didn't so they bear the lion's share of the responsibility. That includes my congressman who was one of the biggest pimps of the "too big to fail" marketing campaign.

Why are you lying about the actual nature of that free phone program?
On 10/7/2010 12:34 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Especially since they could just use their government "gold card"
http://www.travelagentcentral.com/california/california-cuts-welfare-debit-cards-cruise-ships-23973

There is a TV ad with a woman where a grandmother says she can call her grandkids for free. WTF is that? They make it seem the free program is for emergencies and trying to find jobs. Then they throw in the part about the grandmother. geesh, my prepaid doesn't allow me 200 minutes a month, yet the freeloaders call whoever they want.

If you were only allowed to consult **ONE** news source, which **ONE** would you choose?

Party pooper.<g>
I like the summary; "This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.
Wilson Phones, anyone?"
Jim
RR, the truly great leader. Would have reduced taxes so the economy would stimulate. And then I could get a job with good benefits, and buy my own cell phone.
"Lazy people don't prosper". - Shane, from the Surviving Katrena blog.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:01:41 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've not had one for three years now, and it's a liberating experience. If people need to contact me in an emergecy, they'll find a way. For everything else, I'm either near a land-line, or email, or whatever it is can wait until I get to it. Life just shouldn't be so fast that we have to be at someone's beck and call every waking second of the day :-)
cheers
Jules
I spent the entire day waiting for Fed Ex to drop off my new phone. Usually they are here about 10 AM. The guy arrived 4:37 PM, left a door sticker. I was here, but didn't hear him knock. Musta not knocked very loud.
So, four service calls I could have done today get rescheduled. I'm going to spend tomorrow apologizing to people. See if I can either do the work, reschedule a second time, chase around and try to keep everyone happy. All the time cursing Verizon and Fed Ex.
I called the toll free number. She says if I sign the door sticker, he should leave the package. Lets hope I can get the phone activated. My backup piece of equipment, the battery doen't keep a charge. I did find the emergency charger I bought years ago. Came with the first set of batteries. Which have since corroded, leaked all over the package.
Curses to Verizon and their signature required. Curses to the Fed Ex driver who doesn't pound on doors.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Same here. They're much handier than the business band radios of old. We can leave voice mail for each other with the phone which is a big advantage over the radios. We can call our farmer customers if we need to. They can't call us. Our phones don't broadcast our numbers, a very handy feature. My co worker has a camera phone. It was handy once. He tried to describe an electrical component to me without success. He showed me a picture of it the next day. I bought the first personal ones for my parents. They needed one if they had problems traveling on country roads in Nebraska. A list here of prepaid cell phones if anyone happens to be interested: > http://tinyurl.com/dfyvn
On 10/7/2010 8:34 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The best cellphone I ever had was my 1996 Motorola Nextel push to talk radio/cellphone. It put out a full watt of RF and was stout enough to club a mugger over the head with and still function to call the cops. It was big too, big enough for my big hands and didn't break like all these dinky little inexpensive overly complicated wonders of technology that we have to put up with now. I JUST WANT A CELLPHONE THAT FREAKING MAKES PHONE CALLS AND FITS DARNED HAND!!! Phew! My head hurts.....
TDD
Sadly, the phones of today are miniature, and too complicated. I had a look for "handicap cell phones" and found this: http://etoengineering.com/elderly.htm Big buttons, simple featurees, etc.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I've still got my old Nokia 9100 GSM phone and about 4 batteries for it . Nothing but a phone. No extras, and it just works, and works. Better range than my Blackberry too. I keep it around as a backup/spare.
On 10/8/2010 2:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have a Nokia 2600 TracFone and it's about the simplest cellphone out there. I have actually use the stopwatch function to time a gas fired conveyor oven but I rarely even play with any of the other functions and I have NEVER used the texting function. The fracking buttons are too small.
TDD