OT: Car Daytime Running Light Switch

Page 2 of 6
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:02:43 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I think there is a compelling reason to be able to turn off all of this crap. The alternator crapped out on my wife's fairly new Lincoln. I was able to jump start it and put enough juice into the battery to drive it home ... but not with the lights on and all the other stuff that is there whether you want it or not.
On 7/23/2016 3:58 PM, Meanie wrote:

Depending upon the make/model of vehicle, SOME will deactivate the DRLs by merely engaging the parking brake to the FIRST detent while the car is turned off. The theory is that that position is not sufficient to engage the brake but is sufficient to deactivate the DRLs.
Try it

True. A friend did that on his vehicle.

My wife's old Saturn did that which led me to think/hope mine would also do it but when I tried, they stayed on.
Thanks for the suggestion.
On 7/24/2016 8:22 AM, Meanie wrote:

Just for grins, what make/model/year vehicle are we talking about, Meanie?
Unquestionably Confused pretended :

Just for grins? I was hoping that suggestion would come up because if we had a wiring diagram the solution could be as simple as putting a switch on the white wire.
FromTheRafters submitted this idea :

There is probably a red with blue stripe wire going to the daytime running lights resistor unit which you can put a switch on.

2014 Honda Civic Ex Coupe
On 7/24/2016 8:57 AM, Meanie wrote:

Google is your friend (and mine).
Check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teppbWR4yJ4

According to this, the 7.5amp fuse in slot #21 (dash fuse panel) controls ONLY the DRL's. Play around with that and if it is correct, then is should be easy peasy to insert a switch to control it without pulling the fuse.

I already knew that which I stated in my original post. As I stated, I can remove the fuse and the lights will remain off, yet, since the DRL are also used for high beam, they will still work. That's why I thought the easiest solution would be to install a switch within the fuse area.
Thanks for doing some homework.
On 7/24/2016 9:43 AM, Meanie wrote:

No problem. While the DRLs use the high beam lamp, they are on a separate circuit that provides the lamp with 6 volts vs 12.
Pick out the switch of your choice and then hie thee to a good auto parts store. They make an adapter that plugs into that open fuse position that is essentially a fused loop of its own with a integral fuse holder. Take th 7.5 amp fuse out of the car's block, cut the wire loop and insert switch and then plug the adapter back into the fuse block. Switch will turn the DRLs off and on at will and regardless of its position your headlights will function normally.

Thank you much.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Leave the driving to Greyhound...
--
Tekkie

On 7/23/2016 7:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They still stay on.
On 7/24/2016 8:22 AM, Meanie wrote:

Did you engage the first notch with the ignition OFF? On cars where I've found this to work, that is required. If you just move it to the first notch, nothing happens with the DRLs

Just prior to my earlier replies, I wanted to ensure I was accurate and went out to the car and tried several options with the headlight switches. I have an "auto" feature which turns headlights on when ambient light is darker and DRL when it's light out. I can turn that on or off and simply use the DRL or simply turn on the headlights. If I turn off the headlights, the DRL will always stay on. At that point, I lifted the brake all the way and they stayed on. This was with the car running and turned off. Then I did the same with the switch set to auto and same results. I tried it in every position and with vehicle on and off. Also reading the manual doesn't specify using the brake will turn them off.
On 7/24/2016 9:03 AM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

That brake workaround for the DRLs should work regardless of what position the headlight switch is in but obviously will not work when the headlights are on "full bright."
Not surprising that you found nothing about disabling them in the owner's manual. Such tips are rarely provided by the manufacturer's.

Agreed. I even went to the dealer a while back and asked them how I can turn them off if needed. They said it can't be done, but we always know there's a way around things. ; )

On mine the DRLs go out with the hand brake on, and in park on the car. The truck is a standard.