OT: BluRay and Cable Box

Sort of off topic; I'm trying to repair something in my home, but it's an electronic hookup. If anyone knows of a more appropriate place to post, please let me know. Since the regulars on this group have skills in many areas, maybe one of them can solve this one.
I have two devices hooked up to the TV, a BluRay box and a cable box. When I'm watching something from the cable box, a TV volume setting of 20 is about right, but when I switch to BluRay, I have to go up to at least 90. I've tried adjusting the volumes on the BluRay and cable remotes, but those don't do anything. Is there some way to have the same volume setting work for both?
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/ot-bluray-and-cable-box-718148-.htm DA wrote: Pavel314 wrote:

Is the cable box a standard or a high definition one? The problem playing Bluray (or DVDs with good soundtrack for that matter) on a TV is that TV only has two audio channels and the soundtrack of a BluRay movie supports up to 7 (and a subwoofer or two). So, what happens is: when they mix the soundtrack, the music and spatial sound effects go to the front two speakers (which the TV does have) but the dialogue goes to the center one (which is missing in the TV). There's some crossover (intentional) between the channels and therefore you do hear *some* dialogue but not much and so you have to crank the volume up.
You'll need a multi-channel sound receiver or perhaps a "sound bar" - a receiver with some built-in speakers to process the actual BluRay audio output properly. Alternatively, you can go into the sound options of the title you're playing and select 2-channel stereo audio option. You won't have all the great sound effects but the channels will be mixed together enough to be played on two TV speakers only.
--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:44:02 PM UTC-4, DA wrote:
Paul

electronic hookup. If anyone knows of a more appropriate place to post, please let me know. Since the regulars on this group have skills in many areas, maybe one of them can solve this one.

watching something from the cable box, a TV volume setting of 20 is about right, but when I switch to BluRay, I have to go up to at least 90. I've tried adjusting the volumes on the BluRay and cable remotes, but those don't do anything. Is there some way to have the same volume setting work for both?

sci.electronics.repair
There is probably a small sound equalizer you can plug in between the boxes and the TV.
Within a good receiver, they usually have a potentiometer in each tuner output to equalize AM and FM volume, etc.