OT, baggers at supermarkets.

Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they all weighed about the same?
Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. Now I can see putting all the frozen food in one bag, but they do it with everything.
If I buy 2 2-liter bottles of soda pop, they put them both in one bag, so that it way outweighs any other bag.
Tonight I bought two 3.2 quart. bottles of clothes detergent, and they put them in one bag, over 12 pounds, more than everything else I bought put together. That's the way they do it now. .
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 20:05:00 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

...or heaven forbid, do the work themselves.

Make sure you add a blog about the paper coming off the wrong way!

Micky is one of your two?

We have a good friend who is a regional grocery store manager. He says the real issue is cross contamination. You don't want chemicals in the bag with your food, You don't want raw meat with produce etc. When you are dealing with entry level workers, it is just easier to tell them to put all similar things together. If the bag ends up heave, they double it.
On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:37:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Very interesting. I'm glad I posted.
One comment. Casheirs, at least, who do most of the bagging around here, have a complicated task with a lot of things they have to do.
Bagging otoh is not as difficult. There is one supermarket around here, the Jewish one I think, which I noticed had hired as baggers a bunch of people with Down Syndrome, etc. I was only there once or twice, but they seemed to do a good job.
wrote:>Have you noticed? People used to talk with each other and

I don't like to bother the cashiers or the baggers. On a couple occasions I've asked for something special, and though it sounded to me like it would be no effort at all, I could see that it took a lot of effort for them to interrupt their routine, which they are in the habit of doung, and I don't want them to have to do that. Even t hough they are all nice about it.

It's also clear that this new techniique was decreed from "above" since it's done at all the supermarket chains, and even the independents I think, and by all those who do bagging.
So I'd have to ask over and over for them to vary their routine, and it's not like I'm so weak I can't carry 12 pouns or more with one hand.
In fact the whole thing was never a complaint. It was a comment on how things are done and r edone, and how there are unforeseen consequences from designing a plan that seems good on paper.

What nonsense is this?
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 20:05:00 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

BTW, you should be the last person to give this kind of advice. Plenty people have asked you politely to add yoru reply at the bottom, in accordance with Usenet etiquette, but you just ignore them.
Remember that when you ask for something to be done the way you want, and befopre you give the kind of advice you give above.

BTW, you should be the last person to give this kind of advice. Plenty people have asked you politely to add yoru reply at the bottom, in accordance with Usenet etiquette, but you just ignore them.
And this time you didn't ignore my request, but you didn't agree to it either. Yet you are the last person to be posting what you did above,
Remember that when you ask for something to be done the way you want, and befopre you give the kind of advice you give above.

On 11/8/2011 1:00 PM, micky wrote:

Amen to that!
You tell him!

;-)
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 15:08:33 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I know! And if a guy is the bagger....forget it. It's all a mess. And they make the bags even heavier.
On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:28:20 -0500, micky wrote:

Andy Rooney...is that you??? I thought you were dead!!!
On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:49:08 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
What is gone but not forgotten?
I'd appreciate it if you would not top-post.

You're right!! Good point. I guess someone has to take up the kudgel
You know what I really don't like? Doors. There are so many of them and so many are closed. Why do we have so many doors>.
And why do they come in different colors?

And when new shoes come with fancy strings but they wear out, you can never find matching replacements. You can't even find fancy, even at shoelaces.com.

Okay. You make a good point . When is your wife free?

I got the best grocery. Baggers are only there if an isle is vacant, then the check out person moves over and becomes a bagger. I hardly never have to wait long in line. No problems with bagging.
Greg
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:35:43 -0800, harry wrote:

I think that was about the hardest culture difference to adjust to when I moved to the US from the UK. I got glared at too many times when I tried to pack my own stuff though, so I eventually gave up. Now I have to stand there and wait while I watch someone else do what I was perfectly capable of doing myself, and it saves me no time and I end up with far more bags than I actually need.

Not the previous poster, but personally it's a cooperative thing - we live eight miles out of town, so whoever happens to be in town when it needs doing tends to do it.
cheers
Jules
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 01:40:37 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

I shop at two stores in the same chain. One is very particular about making sure they do all of the bagging, the other one will let you bag if you want. I am usually in a hurry so I bag while they are ringing things up ... AFTER I run my card.

I buy the food so I can get what I like. My wife works, I cook.
Seems fair to me.

I do the mechanical work but digging in the dirt is wimmins work too.
You would rather dig in the dirt than cook?