OT: Auto Shopping

Check history. bought new by? in? and when? Traded in where and when? sent to auction by that dealer? Any insurance history?
The car may have been traded in by a young couple who needed a bigger family car - and bought a non-Honda vehicle. The dealer didn't want it on the lot so sent it to the auction. With a clean car-fax and documented service records (mileage) it could be a fantastic deal
Then again, it could have been a tornado damaged car from Oklahoma that was repaired and sent to auction, or a flood damaged car from Alabama, or a hurricaine damaged Florida car.
It could have been a daily rental car, possibly one that had suffered minor damage. Rental fleets often don't repair damaged vehicles - they sell them off to a used car lot that has them repaired. Some rental fleets self insure, so the damage may not show up on CarFax - but the chain of ownership should.
It may even have been (gasp) a MICHIGAN car!!!!!
On 4/2/2015 9:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Then all bets are off...;)
On 04/02/2015 03:05 PM, Meanie wrote:

That shouldn't be hard to find, particularly a 2012. I don't know how many would show up on an auction lot unless a dealer that took it in trade wasn't interested in used cars at all. Have you tried out of state craigslists?
By special I had more in mind something like a Suzuki X-90. It really isn't that bad a little ride but it's sort of weird looking and there were never too many imported. Compared to it there's a Civic behind every tree.
Good luck! Does the Kissimmee dealer have a CARFAX on it? Quite a few of the local dealers provide one to prove it's not a franken-car from a salvage sale.
On 4/2/2015 9:59 PM, rbowman wrote:

I finally received a carfax update from that dealer and the car was in an accident, front end damage with airbag deployment. He has no idea the extent of the damage but obviously, it wasn't totaled out.
I'm finding more 2012s in closer states. Need to do more research.

a 2011 or 2012 well equipped Civic for under 12000 will be a wreck. Even with the difference between Canadian and American prices and dollar exchange.
Black automatic EX is common as dirt up here - a quick look at Autotrader gave me 5 on the first page. Also one white one. Most have leather interior, and over half have nav as well.
Price range 18,000 to 19,900 with from 16,600km to 83000km except for the white one with 96000km at $13,000 with an $8000 damage history on CarFax
On 4/3/2015 8:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I came across these yesterday with quick glances while at work but didn't view their full stats yet. I just copied the URL and sent to my home email for viewing. I'll get to them shortly and see if there's a small gem.
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/627720619/overview/
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/632294376/overview/
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/627714249/overview/
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/631687805/overview/
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/631881754/overview/
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/627331460/overview/
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/632616316/overview/
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/631753741/overview/
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/626733445/overview/
On 04/03/2015 02:30 PM, Meanie wrote:

A snowplow turned into me a few years ago. It was low speed, maybe 25 mph maximum and the airbags did not deploy. Still the Toyota was a total. Between the plastic and the crush sections doing their job the front clip was a goner even though I could drive the car home.
It was low mileage so I wouldn't be surprised if it was sold under a salvage title.
Meanie posted for all of us...

Look on cable channel Velocity. The have shows such as Dallas Card Sharks & Wheeler Dealers, etc. Dealers buying from auction.
My opinion is that you have to be educated on each brands faults. They all have them. Some people like hoop-ties while others like newer.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*