OT - AT&T Usenet officialy gone

http://tinyurl.com/n9t4tb
I'm as mad as the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.

Oh - it's from the AT&T Customer *CARE* Team. Your World. Delivered.
I'm as mad as the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.

Why?- there are better servers for free- and plenty of *way* better servers for next to nothing. [I think I pay $15/yr for Usenet service from someone who understands what Usenet is]
Even when it was being Beta tested as Worldnet and the beta testing feedback groups were on Usenet, the PTB hadn't a clue about Usenet.
Jim

Anticipating this, two weeks ago I subscribed to Giganews for $8/mo., with full binaries, unlimited downloads and 365 day retention.

I went for the $3 service and I'm only using a tiny portion of the allowed amount.

AOL is FREE thats what I am using........ to post this here
bob haller wrote:

which is better than nothing, but not by much.
-- aem sends...

so what advantages do other providers have?

Mostly binary support
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

using explorer, your machine is loaded down (and slowed down) with what amounts to popup ad generator. They went free because nobody would pay for it anymore, and depend on ads for their income. I regard the AOL software as a virus, and since it is close to impossible to uninstall, Nuke and Reload is the indicated cure. As to Google Groups- tolerable for reading, but painful to compose a reply or new post with, and many old-school Usenetters will never see your posts, since they block anything coming from Google, due to the amount of spam that comes from there.
-- aem sends...

AOL, politicians, lobbyists, TV wrestling programs, any kind of solicitors and lawyers are banned from my premises. I wouldn't take free water from any of them if my balls were on fire.

The AOL software is not that bad if you run 7. It is not really supported anymore so they don't send the pop ups and other junk. I still like the AOL mail client better than anything I have tried. (Outlook, Express or Thunderbird) My father in law found out the mail client is actually a separate application that will run alone. His AOL is corrupted and posts a message on a black screen with nothing but the top tool bar but mail still works fine. He doesn't want to fix it. It is really pretty slick
My ISP is AT&T and they cut off Usenet services on July 15, 2009. I got a free account from Eternal-September and setup the server in Agent. It works and it's free! I don't see any reason to pay for Usenet service.
Server name: news.eternal-septermber.org You must have a username and password specified in Agent for it to work.

You use any newsreader you want, noob.

1D10T wrote:

but may want something once in a while. I wouldn't be pissed with ATT if they dropped the price, but I am now paying 8 bucks a month for just an ATT emaill address. (I can't get DSL from ATT, so I use my 3rd party DSL to get to them. ) If I could remember all the places where I have that address out as my point of contact, I'd tell ATT to get lost. All these 'powered by Yahoo' home page features are useless noise to me. If I wanted crap like that, I'd sign up for AOL.
-- aem sends...