OT - a neighbor's network name

poo_pee
How stupid is that!
On 12/19/2012 3:27 PM, PeterD wrote:

On 12/19/2012 5:27 PM, PeterD wrote:

I give my test computers horrible profane names so there's no problem finding them in a routing table. Same with wireless AP's. ^_^
TDD
On 12-19-2012 18:48, The Daring Dufas wrote:

And so neighborhood kids won't want their mothers to see them trying to connect to you?
--
Wes Groleau

"What progress we are making! In the Middle Ages, they would have
On 12/19/2012 11:09 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Who wants to connect to "Hemorrhoids", "Penial Implant" or "Hillary Rodham Clinton"? ^_^
TDD
I guess a hacker could be a total pain in the ass, trying to get his connection speed up, or terrified to death?

Who wants to connect to "Hemorrhoids", "Penial Implant" or "Hillary Rodham Clinton"? ^_^
TDD
PeterD wrote:

Nothing better to do this time of the year? Who cares about other's SSID.
On 12/19/2012 8:50 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Sometimes they're a source of cheap entertainment. Especially when they're making wisecracks about their neighbors.

You musta never set up a home network. All the names show. No snooping needed.

Why would I build a fiber optic network?
Per Oren:

Which begs a question: Is Plastic Optical Fiber something new vis-a-vis LANs?
I stumbled upon this Instructables article: http://tinyurl.com/c5gfb26 which may or may not be shilling for the industry.
But it looks interesting for home use - especially the 3-port + WAP wall boxes as in: http://tinyurl.com/d3nncfa and the easier pulling/connecting - if the prices aren't too high.
But when I Google on the subject, very little comes up in the way of available retail-level equipment.
Is anybody familiar with this stuff?
Is this still an emerging technology in the context of retail/home LAN/ sales/use?
Or am I not Googling very well?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/20/2012 11:22 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

There are a number of applications where fiber is useful or the only solution but ask yourself what problems it would solve for a home user. I can't think of any.

We see periodic announcements of scientists and manufacturers coming up with fiber to chip interfaces. So far, none of them have become commercial. (AFAIK).
When they do break the cost barrier, a LOT of things will change. The bandwidth reaching your computer will be enormous.
Right now, FIOS terminates the fiber at the house. From then on everything is copper, the phone, the TV and your computer(s).
Especially for the computer, a computer attached directly to a fibre will be amazing.
Similarly for the TV, a short burst of data could put an hour long show into your TV.
--
Dan Espen