OT a bit - Propane prices

Page 1 of 2
Here in extreme SE Iowa we heat both our newish two story home and our 1,200 sq. ft. shop with propane fired high efficiency furnaces. Normally we contract the winter supply in the fall but this year they wanted $1.699/gallon so we gambled that it would not go up and possibly go down and did not contract.
Well, we just got our first winter fill (approx. 300 gallons) and the price was $1.699 thus so far nothing has changed. OTOH, the real cold weather is not here yet so there is definitely a chance it will go up in the near future. :-(
For some reason unknown to me propane is usually less expensive in this immediate area than it is in other parts of the country. Anyone else got any current prices from around the US?
Happy Holidays,
Don
IGot2P wrote the following:

43.4 gallons. That's $3.249 a gallon.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/OT-a-bit-Propane-prices-609497-.htm DA wrote:
willshak wrote:

Lucky indeed. I paid $3.20 about a month ago and, according to US E.I.A. 1-week old data, average residential propane was at $2.598 on 12/06/2010, 26% up from this time last year ( http://www.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/hopu/hopu.asp ) .
Slightly off-topic though: they delivered only 43.4 gallons?
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
DA wrote the following:

Automatic delivery. They just top it off every other month or so whether I need it or not..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/OT-a-bit-Propane-prices-609497-.htm DA wrote: willshak wrote:

until they are very extra sure they can fill 300+ gallons. Every bill I had so far with this company was for $800+ and edging more towards $1,100 this year ...
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
DA wrote the following:

I only use LP for the counter top range (wall ovens are electric), water heating, and the clothes dryer. I use fuel oil for house heating.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:11:38 +0000, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

I have auto delivery & a 100 gallon tank. They deliver between 32 and 60 gallons every 6 weeks or so.
I've asked for a bigger tank so they didn't have to negotiate my driveway in the winter and for some reason they'd rather stick with this setup.
Jim
On 12/13/2010 3:58 PM, willshak wrote:

We also have automatic delivery (the supplier calls it a "keep full" agreement) but they don't deliver until it gets down pretty low. I actually have two tanks, 1 - 500 gallon for the house and 1 - 250 gallon for the shop. Fortunately in the winter I am not in the shop that often thus the thermostat is normally set on 48 degrees F. In short, the shop does not use much LP.
When the "organized half" gets home I will have her see if you can find what we paid the last few years when we contracted it. I must say that these Midwest prices are great compared to the NE.
Don

The commodity's prices are the same everywhere. Any differences will be due to local taxes (very high in the NE), and delivery policies.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

and transportation and labor and warehousing costs.
and perhaps the company owner's boat payment schedule.

And possibly local safety regulations.
--
Tegger

No, they aren't. Propane prices are influenced by a number of factors, including regional demand (ie crop drying), what the dominate energy source in the region is, how easy it is for industrial users to switch energy sources, whether the propane (actually LPG as the blend varianies depending on the region) comes from LNG tankers or local refineries, domestic wells, etc.

I hadn't considered that. There's a lot more agriculture in the midwest than in NYS.

More I hadn't thought of.
Sounds to me like the price differences between regions are quite legitimate and reasonable.
--
Tegger

Oh- I forgot the taxes and fees-- They bring my $4.19/gal up to $4.56. but who's counting?
And each outfit gets to set it own profit margin. My guy is in the middle for this area- but a couple years ago when I was shopping around, there was over $1.00/gallon difference in price. Same taxes- same automatic delivery. Same 100gallon tank.
Jim

I have automatic delivery too. I had 25 gallons when they stopped by and decided that I had enough (it's just for a gas fireplace, but...). :-( Really strange.

Will is in Hamptonburg, NY. I'm a couple hours north of him, near Schenectady, NY.
My delivery last week was $4.19 - up $.66 from Nov- and up $1.15 from last Dec.
Jim
harry wrote:

Feasible yes. Practical? Probably not for many people. I live in a rural area. Some farmers I know did run their pickups on propane. They also use propane for grain drying and to run irrigation power units. A very few also had propane burning farm tractors years ago. That didn't catch on due in part to the inconvenience of propane compared to gasoline or diesel fuel.

how does an multi-port electronic fuel injected motor convert to propane? Do they have gaseous injectors that can be controlled by a reprogrammed ECU? so they retain the emissions control mandated in the US.
or does the conversion forgo all that electronics and go back to uncontrolled carburetion?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

The engines I mentioned earlier were all carburetored. I haven't paid much attention lately to the propane fueled irrigation engines. They're still using carburetors, I think. I did find this though: http://www.technocarb.com / Farm equipment is pretty much all diesel powered with the exception irrigation engines and the older, smaller equipment. These engines don't have all the pollution control crap that vehicles have.

I was thinking about this recently and realized it's probably a lot hard to do coversions on modern vehicles than it used to be in the days of float carburators.
You used to be able to put a propane "collar" under the carb that would feed the vapor into the intake and all you needed to do was remove power to the fuel pump or close the fuel line.
On modern vehicles with computer controlled direct or throttle body injection, I would think it becomes a huge task to chage fuels.