OT. 12 year old aces Mensa test.

Page 2 of 2
Per Muggles:

One kid has an IQ of 140, the other has an IQ of 85.
One winds up with a Phd in Oceanographics and a tenured position at a major university. The other winds up working in the card-processing room of an IT department.
Seen it firsthand and it's nothing to do with choices - any more than Itzak Pearlman's not being able to play NBA basketball.
People who tell others "You can do anything you put your mind to." have, IMHO, a limited view of life and the world in general.
There can also be a certain arrogance there: "I've got mine and the only reason you don't have yours is that you didn't do the right things."
True sometimes, patently false other times.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 8/9/2015 5:10 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I want to get pregnant. I want to be the Czar of Russia. I want to win the womens figure skating Olympic event.
Anything? Really? Not by me, anyway.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

There's still time....
On 8/9/2015 8:53 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I AM OUTRAGED!!!!! SIMPLY OUTRAGED!!!! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO WITH MY ICE CREAM AND PICKLES YOU WORTHLESS LOUT!
Da, comrade, can do any zing. Now, off to gulag with you useless proletariat scum.
And, did you see me coming off that triple axle? I thought I was going to twist an ankle off, but my calcium and estrogen pills were working that day, sweets. Now get me a water, dear.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Perrier or Evian?
On 8/14/2015 7:07 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

NEITHER! DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING!!!!!!
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I forgot, all your water's been turned into wine.
On 8/9/2015 4:10 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

They both chose to be law abiding citizens with jobs vs. choosing to be criminals.

If someone makes up their mind to do something, then they usually spend the time involved that it takes to learn how to do it. Even short people play NBA basketball, but many people take the easy road that doesn't require as much effort.

I think we all have our own limitations as far as natural talent goes, but we still have choices what we'll do or what we'll settle for, even, don't you think?

Sometimes, that's the truth, other times opportunities just may not be the same for both people. It's still the choices we make that define who we end up becoming.

Agreed.
--
Maggie

On 8/9/2015 5:10 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I've seen a few 140+ IQ doing menial work too. They can't always handle the stress of real jobs with responsibility.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

I worked with one for 10+ years. Not "menial" work - computer application development and User Support... but with the brains he had I would have thought the sky was the limit.... but there were personality issues: deep-down a truly good person, but abrasive on the surface.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 10:13:19 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm in the 140 crowd. My sister is in the 120's. She has her PHD in math and I'm working menial in a pharmacy.
Looking back it was all about choices. She was class Valedictorian and I would rather play with friends than do homework.

True but I don't think this was about how 1 out of 3 kids goes bad but how virtually ALL the kids of certain parts of town turning out to be criminals... where you are lucky if 1 out of 3 kids ISN'T in jail by the time they are 18. Go to a drug users home (I've rented to some unknowingly) and you find that the YOUNG children are just children (unless the parents are out and out abusers of both drugs and the children) but the older ones start to get hardened in a way "normally" raised kids do not. By the time they are 12 they are probably ruined for life from the environment the parents have created around them.
There was a youtube video making the news of some little kid, maybe 2 to 3 who told his mom to "fuck off" or something like that. What environment do you raise a little kid in where they learn that is a "normal" response to being asked to pick up your shoes. Were you raised that way? I doubt it. Would you raise your kids that way? I doubt that too.

I can't be sure. I don't think they are though and my experience suggests they are not. What do you think?

"... she’s always been excellent at math, performing several years ahead of her age group in school,”
I suspect she goes to school like most other kids.
--
Dan Espen