Options to cool-off hot backroom?

Folks, I am an everyday home owner in a northern Florida city who needs your expert advice. I gets darn hot here in the summer, and here is my problem.

I have a ~12 ft x 17 ft backroom that in the afternoon still gets about 5-6 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. I have tried various options over the past 5 years, each seems to have helped some, but each of these improvements may have been somewhat offset by more powerful and hotter PCs we have put in that room.

The cause of the problem seems to be a combination of the unshaded afternoon sun and 2 PCs in that back room.

So far, we have tried to solve the problem by:

- Adding a 2d AC vent to the room

- Adding a return air vent to the room

- Increasing the size of the duct pipes (it's that foil-coated flexible stuff) to the AC vents and to the return air

- Touching up the blown attic insulation especially above that room

- Piping much of the hot air from the 3.0 ghz PC out through a pipe fitted to a window-inserted pipe (my wife loves the look -- argh!)

I also planted a couple of shade trees, but I might die of old age before they produce dome good shade.

All this has already cost us several hundred dollars (maybe up to about a thousand by now) and the problem persists, tho apparently somewhat less that it would be.

Originally the difference in temperature in this room and the rest of the house was about 5 degrees, and I originally thought it was totally due to the PCs but a couple of weeks ago, I had all the PCs off all day and there was still about a 3-4 degree difference between that room and the rest of the house by late afternoon. After adding the exhaust pipe from the 3.0 ghz PC, the latest PCs (faster and hotter than a few years ago!) seem to add about a 2 degree difference, whereas before the pipe, the difference was more like 4 degrees for Pcs.

Current options that have been presented to us by some locals are the following:

- Adding a fan to inside the duct-piping that branches to this room to force more cool air to it

- Adding a powered ventilator to the attic, which might (?) also help preserve the life of the roof

- Adding a (collection?) box in the attic to the 2 boxes that are already there so that the ducts going to this room have their own box

Restrictive covenants prohibit adding a window AC unit.

Here are some specs on the home: Back room is ~12 ft x 17 ft Home is ~2150 AC'd sq ft Back room has 2 PCs (a 866 ghz and a 3.0 ghz) Home was new in 1996, when we moved in

3-sided brick, with the back-side hardy-board. The brick side that gets afternoon sun is almost 20 ft high (built on hill) Afternoon sun is unshaded and the back room is on that side of the house AC unit is a Carrier heat-pump and cools the rest of the house fine

Your thoughts most appreciated!

Reply to
xxxBogus-email-address

better windows, insulating shades, insulating curtains, another AC duct or 2, awnings fixed or retractable, a portable in room AC that vents with a Flex duct. Close down some other room vents a bit, after you get a good AC man to do a load calculation and direct you to do things right the first time.

Reply to
m Ransley

Feed your shade trees regularly. Studies have shown that a fertilized (deciduous) tree will grow twice as fast as one that is not fertilized. Use nitrogen, monthly, from fall to spring when the leaves are gone. I planted a sugar maple ten years ago, and now my garage stays a lot cooler on those hot summer days. Trees help a lot!

Reply to
Phisherman

Is this back room part of the original home or is it an addition? If original when was the last time your a/c was checked? filters replaced? just adding ducts does not help the air volume. Have you tried increasing the fan speed on the air handler. Most are set to medium and have a high and low speed as well. If addition it is time to buy an in the wall ac unit for the room or replacing the existing unit with one that is large enough for your home. With 2150 sqf I would guess you need a couple of 3 ton units to cool your home. At least in Phoenix you would. I had a 1950 SQF and one 5 ton. With the increased insulation and new doors and windows I had installed it made it. The living room would climb until sun down and then level off. Direct west exposure.

You say you touched up the insulation, How much did you have and how much did you add. My brother and I have homes built in 1996 and just added R19 to the home and R30 to the garage. He has noticed a difference in his home since doing this. We also insulated the garage doors. Last thought sun screens on all the windows in the home.

Reply to
SQLit

Will do, but still years away from height that will do some good.

=====

Reply to
xxxBogus-email-address

Original construction

monthly. helps a tad.

This time last year, increased the speed to high. I forgot to mention that -- sry.

Not positive of unit size, but have had 2 AC companies tell me it is adequate. But on the downside, the ducts have a long run in the attic to get to this side of the house. Have thought about getting a central unit dedicated too this room, but that has to be pricey?

It's heaped up pretty darn high and at least as high on that side of the house as the rest of the attic. I honestly don't have a figure tho.

Our garage is on opposite side of th ehouse.

Hmmm, available at Home Depot?

Thx!

Reply to
xxxBogus-email-address

We're on our 2d AC company now. Gave up on the 1st one after about their 5th visit on this same problem. 2d outfit has now been out 3 Xs on this and I still have a significant temp disparity. Almost every time I have to take off from work -- I don't have time for this but I'm still hot and not rich!

Windows are a double-paned name brand (looked for labels but none obvious) and twindows are he same all around the house, including the cooler side.

Window AC unit not an option -- restrictive covenants.

Have already partially closed some ducts.

What about the attic ventilator fan and the in-duct fan -- decent options?

Thx!

=====

Reply to
xxxBogus-email-address

Oh, forgot to mention that unit was checked last week and is checked every spring.

Reply to
xxxBogus-email-address