Only good mouse is a dead mouse, yes, but how to get there?

Page 1 of 3
As seems to be the case most winters, we have mouse droppings starting to pop up (or is it plop down?) in our basement.
Some judicious mouse trap use always stops the problem. But I'm getting old and tired of the "standard" traps - baiting them, making sure to not set them off myself, emptying the gross dead mice from them, repeating...
(By "standard" I'm talking about the kind seen in Looney Tunes and other cartoons - bait with cheese or peanut butter, and a piece of metal snaps onto the mouse and kills it.)
What's a "better" mouse trap? By that I mean one that might kill multiple mice without rebaiting, and that's easy to clean and reuse.
Not so fond of the bait traps that feed them poisoned food, as they force me to figure out where the dead critters are. I'd rather confine my looking for carcass hunting to where the trap(s) are.
trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

Feed them Decon rat poison. Makes them go out and seek water while they hemorrhage to death.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

It kills them but I found 3 dead inside in the middle of the dining and living room, so they dont all go out, maybe they all stayed in.

Thats a myth. They don't seek water. Instead they get sick, they crawl off to a quiet, secluded spot. They die, they decompose and stink the place out for a month or so. I know. I've used it and after mutiple kills ended up ripping down the ceiling drywall in the rec room. This year we have 2 cats. We made a pact. I feed them and they keep the mice out - and it works better than any trap or bait.
If you go the cat route, you need to get a hunter. Not all cats will hunt and kill (chase and play with, yes, but actually slay, not necessarily) prey as they have to be taught by their mothers. Kittens rescued from the outdoors with their mothers are probably the best bet.
the only cat that wont mouse is one who is either a: over fed. or b: fed canned food.
cats who you expect to mouse should only be fed dry food sparingly.

We once had a cat that was a great hunter *outside*. She caught tons of mice, chipmunks, rabbits, and even brought home a mink one day. But 'inside mice' were beneath her. I've seen one run over her paw. She let them stuff her favorite chair with cat food.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

My BIL had outdoor cats and an indoor cat and still had mouse episodes. He didn't understand why one invasion ceased. Several months later he pulled out the refrigerator and found a five-foot snake skin.

Wrong. They get thirsty as all getout - at least with certain of the poisons.
On Dec 22, 9:48�pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

most mice never drink liquid water, they get moisture from their food. my best friend used poison, they crawled away and stank up his home
Van Chocstraw wrote:

I've been told to put out a pan of water for them and that's where you will find the bodies after the poison takes effect.
TDD

I use "the bucket method." Just get a 5 gallon plastic pail. Drill two 3/8" holes near the top of the bucket (about 1/2" down from the top edge). Make sure the holes are directly across the bucket from each other so you can stick a 1/4" dowl rod straight through. the dowl rod should be about an inch or so longer than the diameter of the bucket. Then get an empty plastic peanut butter jar with lid and drill 5/16" holes at the center of the bottom of the jar and through the center of the lid. Slide dowl through one of the holes in the side of the bucket, then through the empty peanut butter jar and then through the other hole in the side of the bucket. You should be able to spin the jar around the rod. Put about 4 inches of water in the bucket. Smear cheap peanut butter over the surfaces of the jar. Place the bucket near a wall where you suspect mice might be traveling. Get a narrow (2" wide x 1 " thick) board about 2 or 3 feet long. Lay flatways one end on the floor and the other resting on the top edge of the bucket near where one end of the rod is sticking out of the side of the bucket. By next morning you should have a mouse, or even several mice floating dead in the bucket. Get a small minnow net and scoop the dead mice out of the bucket and dispose of in manner of your choice. There probably should still be enough smeard peanut butter still left on the jar for several more nights depending on how many mice you might have living with you. No need to refresh the peanut butter, old moldy stuff works just as good. Once a week or so or maybe longer you might have to change water in the bucket. If you aren't going to be checking the bucket each day, no problem. Just change the water more often. Good luck! Steve
Steve wrote:

For a long time, that was the only method. I haven't tried it but think may still be the best.
In 1880, Luchs, a German company, began selling the Capito Original mouse trap. It was in production until 1920. Many were sold in Britain and America. That seemed to usher in the Age of Mousetraps.
It seems to be consumer appeal more than efficacy that sells mouse traps. The appeal to the Capito was that it was a Rube Goldberg contraption. In the vestibule, a seesaw would trip a latch, letting the door fall. Then the mouse would clime in a vertical tube and go out on another seesaw, which would drop him into a drowning tank while raising the door to admit the next mouse. The design was so popular that several American knockoffs were patented. The latest was in 1990.
The snap trap, invented in 1894, took over the trap market. What it lacks in efficacy it makes up for in consumer appeal.
The electrocuting mouse trap was invented in 1909.
At one time I had a Victor Tin Cat. It's about the size of a cigar box and holds mice for disposal. It could trap several at once. One disadvantage was that even if I picked it up to look through the vents, a mouse inside could be invisible. Nowadays I think they have transparent covers. Eaton makes one for a much lower price.
I also had Kness Tip Traps. It's a rectangular plastic tube big enough to hold a hot dog. You could see from across the room if there was a mouse in it.
clipped

Mouse traps are cheap and disposable for very good reasons - so folks don't contact the disease-carrying rodents. Good grief!
Clean up the place, put all cereal, grain, pet food in hard containers. Put a dab of peanut butter on a mouse trap, put trap in path of meese, check often. I used plastic bag to pick up the mouse and trap so's I would not touch it; dispose of the whole thing. Only mice I have had indoors were seasonal, late fall, and the always showed first signs by droppings and chewing into food packages, esp. flour sack in lower cupboard. I tried Decon once, but the mouse died beneath kitchen sink - retrieveable, fortunately, as the smell was pretty bad.

Hmmm... Since they live in your house it must be where they get the alleged diseases from. ???? :-)

Once you've pulled a toilet and scraped off the old wax gasket, getting rid of a dead mouse in a trap barehanded ain't squat. Soap & water hand washing works for both.

Agree wholeheartedly!! I love it when I get double headers. Triples even!!

I've adapted this. I have a string running from the points that the handle attaches to the bucket, and I have an empty orange juice concentrate can slathered in peanut butter on the middle of the string.
Four hours into this experiment, no mice, but maybe they're waiting for the house to be quiet.
My only concern is the board; the one I have is probably at a 30 degree angle and I hope that's not too steep.
Sounds like it will work. Fingers crossed.
Although not sure if I want there to be mice (proving the thing works, but confirming I have mice), or no mice (possibly indicating poor execution on my part, but maybe indicating no mice left in basement), when I next check it.
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:54:28 -0500, trader-of-some-jacks

It worked - caught my first mouse last night. I still probably need a longer (less steep) approach to the bucket.

Good for you! I even keep a bucket out in my garage and during the winter I will use RV antifreeze in place of water. Works great! I have far fewer mice around than I ever used to BB (Before Bucket). The fewer there are mice outside, the fewer that will be trying to get inside!
Steve
ps Once and awhile I will get a squirrel in the bucket. So if you're after squirrels, it will work great for them too!
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:50:22 -0500, trader-of-some-jacks

You are fighting a losing battle. See jpg link
http://i7.tinypic.com/2ex6kah.jpg