One more question on the 1' short garage - below "Hate such builder"

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I went to measure the net space today. It turned out to be only 17' 6" net, garage door closed, from inside of the door to the utility platform. My van is 16' long bumper to bumper so there is only 18" clearance head and tail combine. Can an average person with reasonable care park it on daily basis without too much difficulties? I don't have such experience. Cannot try it now because the driveway concrete is only one day old.
Your input is appreciated.
Bob
just rig up one of the hanging tennis ball thingmagjiggers. have someone guide you in, and when you are where you want to be. hang a tennis ball from a string and make it so it just barely touches your windshield. when the ball hits windshield, its time to stop. same result can come from a set of chocks placed on the floor or even a 2x4

net,
van
i believe nowadays in this newfangled century, they even make electronic devices just for this purpose. both ones that use a light beam across the path which will be broken when the tires pass it, and ones that use a 'radar' type system that senses how far the car is from the wall. pull forward til you hear the beep.
not that they work any better than the tennis/wiffle/whatever ball method....
randy

xrongor wrote:

Tennis ball: $1, very reliable and will even work during a power outage. ;)
These are all great ideas but I am looking for that figure - the mininum clearance for an average person to park it without undue difficulties.

;)
myX had no problem with about the same clearances - not enough room to scoot behind it at all but you could just barely squeeze your legs past her front bumper - she never complained.
I used to back a boat into a garage at an angle so its motor would end up in a door regress and had no room to spare at the trailer tongue - so it had fractional inches of clearances and I don't recall dicking around with it often.

Who cares what the "average person" can do? The only relevant person in this case is you. How are we supposed to know if you're above or below average?
- Rich

if you cant handle an 18" clearance with a hanging tennis ball (or any even 1/2 ass attempt to mark a stopping point), its time to put the keys away and give up driving before you kill someone. if you cant figure this out, you're either not trying or, again, should give up the keys before you kill someone.
better yet. conduct the 'brady' test. you know, like in that episode where greg and marsha had that contest over who was the better driver. they put the egg on the cone and see how close they could park without hitting it.
randy
I know a couple that has a 4 1/2" leeway. He hung a couple sections of conduit down, connected together by another section. Then he put a microswitch on both of the hanging arms, with an alarm powered by garage current. When the bumper pushes it, the driver knows.
I prefer my way better. Tall road cone, when the car pushes it, it's obvious. I've got 8 feet more space in front, but that's for my workbench, not a car.
they put

You're asking someone that is ready to start parking in a garage that was either made according to original plans, or not.

Bob wrote:

Get a "SmartPark" pad and glue it down to a clean floor. The ball idea I R suggested also works, but I like the pad better. BTY put a recycle container or even an empty cardboard box in place at the end of the garage to remind you if you overshoot a little.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/parsmargarac.html
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
will your van fit under the door

net,
van

My husband got our truck into the garage. With the door closed there was hardly even 1 inch space. He had to creep it in there and get the bumper directly onto the studs w/o smashing anything.
For my car, it was too long for the garage. He notched out 2 studs for the bumper to fit into to be able to get the whole car inside.

Why did you buy a house with such a small garage?
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:27:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Or, why not trade in the truck for a smaller one?

Let's see, last time I looked this was a group for offering experiences about how we got around problems and not a wise cracking group on personal choices. If you want to be the wise guy, then you'll just be ignored. Marina
Marina wrote:

Lighten up. I was going to suggest your husband remove the truck's bumpers.

OIC, I didn't know. Marina

You Haven't been keeping watch on Matt Lately have you?
Wise asses are abundant here, always will be , I am certain. But Your input was definitely heard, and now you can be certain it was heard, because someones wise ass comment makes it apparent. How better to determine if your post hit the servers?
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
So, what are you saying? Surely you don't suggest that I have ever offered anything but the most sincere in replies to the poor beleguared homeowner? Sir, I must challenge you to a duel!