One bag or Two?

Okay, I've nixed the idea of using crushed rock on my fence posts. So now the question is, 1 or 2 bags of concrete per post? The fence is 8ft, b&b with steel posts. I'm leaning to the 2 bags for more strength.
*** Never Forget http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

And should that hole be dug large enough for one bag or two? :-)
Cindy
The hole should be dug such that it's cylindrical with firm sides, as narrow as possible but as deep as necessary, then filled with the amt of concrete required. Mix the concrete to a sloppy consistency in a wheelbarrow and just pour it in, and the water will rise to the top and it will set nicely. It may end up being less than 1 bag per hole.

That was my basic question -- even tho it wasn't posted as a question. The original poster merely wanted to know one bag or two. But I was wondering how does the digger know the size hole to dig? Is there a formula to it?
I figure I understand the "deep as necessary". As deep as the person wants the post to go into the ground.
You say as narrow as possible. Does that mean that if the post can just squeeze down into the hole or maybe just an inch wider, then that's the right diameter hole? If the concrete needs to be squeezed in with a syringe, does that make it better?
I've always figured the less concrete, the better, since that means less work and less weight if the post has to get pulled up. I've seen people sink their mailbox posts into what seems like 10 bags of concrete and I never could figure out why. Home Depot was maybe running a sale on concrete? Buy 1 bag, get 9 free?
In this neighborhood, everyone seems to go by their own rules. Some subscribe to the more-is-better theory. Some subscribe to the-less-work-I-have-to-do-the-better theory. Just wondered if there really is a "correct" way.
Cindy
Strength of Materials Prof observed "If you're 'pouring' it's too thin and will be weak", it should be thick enough to be 'placed'"
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:58:07 -0700, "Charlie Spitzer"

True, but unimportant. "weak" in this case means insufficient to mount heavy machinery on. For a post footing, nobody cares.
As small a diameter as possible with 1/4 - 1/3 of the total length of the post below ground level.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Thank you!
That's one thing I can now check off my "tidbits-to-find-out-about-sometime-in-case-I-find-myself-having-need-of-t he-info" checklist.
Cindy
Chuck snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Chuck) writes:

Do not allow concrete to come into contact with wooden posts. It will cause them to rot. If you are using wooden posts, staple tar paper around the post to break the contact with the concrete. If you are concerned with withdrawal strength, you can then add the nails as you suggest. Some sort of anchor is common with pole barns, but people usually don't bother for fences.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

my wife's so uglee i always use 2 bags on here head when we screw. case one breaks.
C > Okay, I've nixed the idea of using crushed rock on my fence posts. C > So now the question is, 1 or 2 bags of concrete per post? C > The fence is 8ft, b&b with steel posts. I'm leaning to the 2 bags for more C > strength.
I was wondering how big the bags were?!
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Next, on the "Mighty Morphin' Flower Arrangers"....
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971