old Electrolux vacuumed cleaner not sucking

I have an old Electrolux vacuumed cleaner. Has plenty of suction until the hose is put on. Hose does not appear to be blocked.

Is it possible for the hose to have lost its air containing capacity? Is it leaking so much that the suction is being cut in half? Would painting the hose with polyurethane help?

Reply to
Larry

I remember my father taking an old electrolux to a repair store and they told him he needed a new hose though I don't know why. Frankly, there are much better vaccuum designs around then the long tube electrolux. As the bag fills you lose a ton of suction.

capacity?

Reply to
Art Begun

The hose is blocked.

You just haven't found the blockage yet. :-)

A lot of these old Electroluxes have a socket at the exhaust end of the canister that you can plug the hose into. If yours does, do that, put the other end of the hose into a paper bag, and turn the vacuum on. This usually blows the obstruction free. (The paper bag is to catch all the crap that will come flying out.)

Sure -- if it's clogged by something. If this happens frequently, you probably need to get a new hose. The hoses on those old Electrolux vacuums are made of woven fiber; after many years the fibers begin to break, and the broken ends protrude into the inside of the hose, restricting its capacity and providing places for things such as carpet fibers and pet hairs to get snagged.

If it did, you'd hear the leaks.

Nope. First time you bend the hose, it all flakes off. Polyurethane isn't very flexible.

Doug Miller

The hoses do go bad after a while. It can be a leak right at the hose to coupling. lf the ends are leaking, it may be possible to have them replaced, but if the hose itself is going, you'd be better off with a new one. You may be able to narrow down the problem by blocking the inlet and trying to suck in some smoke over the length of the hose.

You may also find it more cost effective to buy a better, new vac. They used to get a nice $ for the hose, probably still very expensive. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The rubber lining in the hoses breaks down, and they "leak inward". Time to go to the vacuum cleaner shop and buy a new hose. My Mom's vacuum cleaner did this. I'm guessing poly would be too stiff to hold up to flexing. If you're really trying to pinch pennies, you could try wrap the outside of the hose with duct tape.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If there is strong suction at the opening to the machine, but none with the hose in place, the hose is probably blocked. I've used two generations of Electrolux tank cleaners. The hose on one got a bad clog, with straight pin that was vacuumed up and protruding through the hose (ouch). Seems like there is a belt that can break, but then you would not have suction on the machine. If you can straighten a coat hanger, and leave a small hook on the end, try fishing it into the hose to see if you can snag a clog. You've already tried reversing the hose? That can work wonders, as long as it is aimed outdoors :o)

Reply to
RamblinOn

Ok, I did not want to admit this at first.... I had already done the stick it in the exhaust thing. So I stuck it on the 2200 psi pressure washer. THERE IS NO BLOCKAGE! Duck tape makes the most sense! I will give that a try, throw the whole thing in the trash and go buy a new vacuum :-) Who makes a reasonably priced vacuum? I have wood floors and area rugs.

Reply to
Larry

The DUCT tape worked!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Larry

Can get good rebuilt vacuums, even with trade-in on the old, round these parts. Hubby drives a Kirby, I drive an Electrolux :o) He's thinking of trading up and getting a Kirby with power steering :o)

Reply to
RamblinOn

Now go to a vaccum cleaner repair shop and buy a new hose. You don't have to get the Electrolux brand, just an aftermarket hose made to fit the machine you have. That will work a lot better than the duct tape and is not too expensive either. We've gone through several of them and now have a non-Electrolux hose that is better than the original.

Reply to
Tom Miller