How to repair an Electrolux vacuum cleaner?

The capacitor on the side of our Electrolux vacuum cleaner motor has burnt out.

Can I get a replacement or do I have to buy a whole motor assembly?

The numbers on the motor read Electrolux 15075-5.2 34-90 and the capacitor is marked PXB4002/23E 40/100/56 The cleaner itself is an Electrolux Deluxe 1000 Z1810 9002102

I seem to remember there was a shop selling vacuum spares on Burleigh St Cambridge but I can't find them on the web.

Thanks for any assistance

Tim

Reply to
Tim Steele

The Vacuum Cleaner Centre

51, Burleigh St, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB1 1DJ Tel: 01223 364499

Courtesy of yell.co.uk

Reply to
Steve Slatcher

Thank you! I also looked on yell but couldn't find them.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Steele

None of the numbers seem to make sense as capacitor values and I've not seen a capacitor motor in a vac. Usually they use universal brush motors. I expect this item is a mains filter and before shelling out on a new one, disconnect it and see if the motor runs ok.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Do you have a local TV repair shop near you? They might be able to get you a mains filter CAP of the right rating as well.

Reply to
BigWallop

The elderly chap who was in there when I dropped by a while ago was most helpful too, so big thumbs-up from me.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

The Vacuum Cleaner Centre 51 Burleigh St, Cambridge, CB1 1DJ - 01223 364499 or G.A.N Electrical 13-14, The Broadway, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB1 3AH Tel: 01223 248667 should be able to help.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

And if it runs ok but causes TV or radio interference, that's why it is supposed to have a filter, and consider how close your neighbours are before keeping running it like that.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Alan, I only suggested this as a test before buying a new part - not suggesting that the op should run long term without a supressor My thinking was that if the suppressor had failed but the motor continue to work, why would the OP have thought something had gone wrong in the first place. Therefore maybe the motor had stopped working for some other reason and it would be worth checking that first.

just my 2p

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yo people...

If the suppressor fails, then this can lead to early failure of the motor!

The suppressor not only suppresses the interference produced but also suppresses the violent spark across the motor armature.

Reply to
Mark