Oil furnace won't stay running...

I have serious doubts about you too. You jump in defending your buddy Mick y, who told someone who obviously is totally clueless to put a screwdriver across a high voltage transformer in an oil burner. Yeah, I'm the problem h ere. Go figure. Luckily for the poster, he's probably a troll.

Reply to
trader_4

Maybe the OP is dead, and crispy carbonized, which is why we've not heard back?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was neither defending Micky nor his advice , I was talking about you . I've yet to see you actually offer an idea , but have read your negative comments about everybody else's . The post after mine is a perfect example . Selected quotes :

"No he didn't. You must be imagining things. Go back and read it. Who appointed you hall monitor? I think he was a troll. And you're a dangerous idiot.

Not a single alternative presented . Just criticism .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I see. So dangerous advice to someone, who if they are for real is obviously clueless, is irrelevant and you don't comment on that. But me, suggesting the guy was a troll, well that's important to you. Go figure.

As I posted, I think the poster is a troll and any advice will be going into space. The fact that he replied to a decade old thread and hasn't been heard from besides that one post, suggests I'm right. Some of you apparently can't tolerate that opinion.

I did present an alternative. Don't listen to Micky and stick a screwdriver across the high voltage xformer. Don't keep pushing the reset button. That alone could have saved his life, if he's for real. Or someone else's life that reads this years later. The other alternative is so obvious I would think even you could figure it out. When you're clueless, call a service pro to fix your faulty oil burner. Happy now?

Reply to
trader_4

Well , that is more in line with what I like to see posted . There is so much talent in this group , I have learned a lot stuff I didn't know . And expect to learn more . As one of the guys in one of my email lists says "Together we are smarter than any one of us alone . " You said above that he was responding to a thread that's 10 years old , I saw no indication this isn't a current problem with the OP . Where did you get that idea ? Not sniping , just curious .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm so happy it now meets with your approval. That means so much to me.

There is so

I guess that excludes me, you said I was an asshole.

I have learned a lot stuff I didn't know . And

The OP that started the thread was back in Nov 2000:

jce

11/17/00

Hoping for help with an oil furnace that won't stay running... Background info...

Furnance was working until few days ago. (Electric on/off switch is on). Approx. 3 days ago furnace shut down. In attempt to restart furnance, I turned thermostat down fuel then up full -- furnace did not turn on. Topped up oil tank today. In attempt to restart furnance, I turned thermostat down fuel then up full -- furnace did not turn on. Pressed reset button on side of furnace several times -- it kept kicking off.(only button on the furnace where this option was possible). Each time I hit the reset button, the furnace would turn on momentarily then stop.

Just my luck, it started snowing this a.m. !!!

Thanking you in advance for advice...

John

The post that started it up again was:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Dec 23

My oil heater starts but dont stay on & my green light keeps flashing. It's set to reach a certain temperature & once it below that temperature the heater is suppose to reach that set temperature but it starts up &goes out after a few seconds.

As I said, if you want to reply to that and give directions on what to start screwing with to fix it, that's up to you. I might be an asshole, but I can follow a thread.

Reply to
trader_4

I see no connection between the two threads . No reference to an earlier post , no indication that I can see that this guy even knew such a post existed . Just because it's about the same problem does not mean it's a continuation of a former thread . That hair shirt looks good on you .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My, you're confused:

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Subject: Oil furnace won't stay running...

From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 03:26:00 -0800 (PST)

And when was the post that drrcker replied to made:

Subject: Re: Oil furnace won't stay running...

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 02:35:35 GMT

There you have it. The drrckr poster of Dec 23, that resumed this old thread, clearly replied to a thread started Nov 2000, where the last post prior to drrckr was Nov 2000. It's exactly what I said, an old thread going back to 2000. Who's the asshole now?

Reply to
trader_4

Why YOU are , of course . How many people are going to dig into the message source to find that kind of information ? Most of us are going to take things at face value , not go digging to find something to bitch about . Oh , I see now that you're using google groups as an interface to usenet . Explains a lot . Are you too stupid to use a real newsreader and usenet server for access ? Or just too lazy ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I didn't have to "dig" into anything. It's clearly displayed in the list of posts and date when I first saw the new post. I just "dug" into it, because you tried to claim there was no evidence of the history of the thread. So, I provided the proof you requested. I saw the full thread, the list of dates from day one. Who's the asshole now?

Most of us are going to take

That's pretty much what I did. Do you really think I went digging, to find out the date of a post? That he restarted a thread from 2000, combined with the nonsensical post, was why I pointed out that it might be a troll. You and Micky took great offense to that. He's probably as clueless to the history of the post as you are.

Now that's a classic. I can and did see the order of the posts, that the earliest post was from 2000, that the thread ended in 2000, until this guy showed up. You didn't and claimed it was a new thread. And now you have the unmitigated gaul to try to slander Google Groups? Maybe if you were using it, you wouldn't have made at total ass of yourself, like you just did. It's incredible. I see the thread in context, that it ended in 2000, you don't, and then you proceed to slam what I use. I can see your problem, you don't learn from mistakes.

Good grief. You really, really are the new village idiot.

PS: Try to learn to trim posts too.

Reply to
trader_4

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Oren posted for all of us...

Really, I think this topic has been posted at least three times lately.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Maybe he simply got overwhelmed by the responses !!! All I can say about the whole thing is this.... If you want to play around with transformers. and electrical currents without being a qualified profes sional , well I wouldn't advise others to do the same because there is alwa ys the danger of electric shock or worst case scenario, a spark can cause the oil to catch fire and next thing you know, the house has burnt down.. Be sensible and get someone in who knows what they are doing and be sure t o get annual checkups to avoid the DIY mindset !!

Reply to
birdzofafeather