Flourescent flicker?

My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Visit Bermuda, off season. Fewer tourists.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tubes could be getting older which need replacing or ballast is going bad. Wiggle the tubes back and forth to renew the contacts.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Looks are deceiving. Do the bulbs have black ends? Even a little is an indication of a near death. Replace the bulbs. If they still flicker, it's the ballast. If the bulbs/fixture is a T-12, consider going to T-8.

Reply to
Meanie

Do what I did:

Replace the ballast and tubes with the now current"green" technology.

I also went to full spectrum lighting.

The upgrade was not expensive and the lighting is excellent.

Reply to
philo

I even saw a perfectly good looking bad tube(no sign of dark ring at either end of tube). Our store has whole bunch of 4 tube fixtures.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You probably spent more time posting this message than it would have taken to install some new bulbs. Just buy some bulbs. If tht dont solve the problem, you'll need the bulbs eventually. If new bulbs dont fix it, get a new ballast.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

KenK,

These are in your office so mention them to the clean up staff or building maintenance. These folks will probably know where the bulbs are kept and have a ladder

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I avoid "green" technology like the plague. When you go green you're almost invariably giving up something. I'm not willing to do it. (Screw the environmentalists, better yet hunt them down as you would any other rabid animal.)

Reply to
Roger Blake

It's your money. To each his own.

Reply to
Meanie

Unfortunately, the soi disant "Roger Blake" is a zealot advocating murder and thus deserves no attention, just help.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Meanie wrote in news:m7cndf$bl7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Looking at them a bit closer I see one does. On one end.

I hate changing bulbs. These are the awkward 2-pin bulbs if I remember. Maybe just leave them flicker (which they aren't doing today. Probably read your post.)

Reply to
KenK

"David Martel" wrote in news:m7edsh$u7j$1@dont- email.me:

Home office. I'm the maintenance staff.

Reply to
KenK

That's all it needs and both lamps will be affected.

Don't invite any epileptics over for the holidays.

It's easier than changing a ballast. I don't see the awkwardness....1/4 turn and pull straight down. Some also have straight connectors where they require a simple push to snap in.

Reply to
Meanie

I've found that if the ends (about an inch from the end) is has a dark stripe, that's often a sign of a bad one.

You're right there is a "touch" to replacing those. I've learned to use a sharpie, and mark the side of the bulb where the pins are. Helps me line up the pins and the socket.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Epis, or OCD folks. You know you've got an OCD in your family when all the dark end tubes get changed, the telephone cord is hanging perfectly straight off the hand set, and the toilet paper feeds off the correct side of the roll.

If your epi also has OCD, it's wise to have a couple "trampoline spotters" as they go up the ladder. And come down, thrashing about.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You mean like Maurice Strong (founder of the UN Environment Program) who stated "Isn't the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn't it our responsiblity to bring that about?" How many is he advocating the murder of?

Or perhaps you refer to the millions who still die every year from malaria due to the hatchet job on DDT done by the EPA, courtesy of Ms. Rachel Carson's fear mongering.

As I said, declare open season and hunt 'em down like rabid animals.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:U2Gmw.826729$DX.179270 @fx06.iad:

Thanks! That's a really good tip.

Reply to
KenK

Wow, I'll consider that nomination for AHR tip of the month award. Will expect to hear from the judges panel by 5th of Jan.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:yRcnw.962705$ snipped-for-privacy@fx23.iad: