O'Keefe and Merritt range question: turning all the ovens without the pilot light

Hello All:
I have an O'Keefe and Merritt range that looks similar to this:
http://www.classicranges.com/Web%20Pix/OM1950.jpg
I had the utility guy turn off the pilot light early summer since it was adding a tremendous amount of heat load to the already hot southerly kitchen.
How do I turn on the ovens without the pilot light being on?
Thanks!
Deguza [Please post your response here, I do not check my Hotmail account.]
On 9/29/2008 4:06 PM Kompu Kid spake thus:

This looks like an early enough model to not have a safety valve (which doesn't allow gas to flow unless the pilot is lit), in which case all you have to do is put a match to the oven burner, which is under the oven and on top of the broiler compartment.
It's easy to tell if this will work: open the broiler (or better yet take the drawer out completely), turn the oven control on and see if you hear gas coming out. If you do, then you only need to light the burner, and you'll see the flame immediately. (Obviously, you don't want to leave the gas on for any longer than necessary before lighting it.)
If you don't, then you have a safety valve and will have to re-light the pilot. When you do, there is an adjustment valve for the pilot; you can turn it down so it uses a minimal amount of gas. (But don't turn it down *too* far, or it may be possible for the pilot to get blown out if there's a breeze.)

You turn the knob on the front. Oh, you mean how do you "light" the oven.
The older ovens that had no pilot light had a round port on the front of the bottom oven pan where you held a match and turned the gas valve on. Yours may or may not have that setup. If not, you have to get a flame down to burner level with either a long match or one of the butane bbq lighters. With winter coming, re-light the pilot as it will just add needed heat to the house.