Not electrocuted

Earlier I posted some dumb questions about installing a new doorbell (have hated forever the cheapo that was there when I bought the place). Finally got a friend to press the doorbell while I threw successive breakers. After isolating the right one, I boldly went where this klutz has never gone before, and installed a handsome new doorbell!!! How sweet it is! I could stand out there all day and push the lighted button.

Congrats! I still remember the feeling I had when I first replaced a breaker. It sent a piss-shiver down my spine. :-)
Hank <~~~still cautious
That brings back memories of sanding some contacts in a panel box. Working by flash light, while a friend held the 100 amp feed breaker aside so I could work. Talk about trusting someone.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Higgs Boson wrote:

Uh, the 12 volts on a doorbell circuit wouldn't electrocute anything.

Yes, low-voltage...that why it's used where you might stand in a puddle and press it, Homer! ; )
Mmmm... burgers!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It's "supposed" to be 16V, although I've measured 18V. A short can destroy the transformer.

Some are even as high as 24V AC

Even a 'stuck' door push can cause transformer burn out! We have a relative, who mentioned that their door chime "Had been buzzing for while but had now stopped"! Could I have look? Found: a) Transformer open, can't remember if it was primary or secondary. Zero output. b) Door bell push, exposed to weather, jammed in, making contact all the time. c) Can't recall exactly what, but also seem to recall something wrong with the chime. Fortunately had used parts; therefore no cost!

re: "Fortunately had used parts; therefore no cost! "
For years my two-tone doorbell went BONK! instead of diiiiiing - dooooong.
The solenoid was supposed to fire up for diiiiiing and then down for dooooong.
It only fired up, so there was no chance of a dooooong.
The rubber grommets that the upper bar was supposed to float on were shot, so the bar wouldn't vibrate.
When you pushed the button the solenoid would hit the upper bar and just go BONK.
At some point I was bored and fixed it with some lube and a homemade grommet. No cost and about a 1/2 hour's work.
We had every confidence in you. You serve as an example for people less skilled. Thank you for writing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus