Installing new bathtub, need some advice

Hello everyone, I've got a couple of questions about my bathroom remodel. I have never done anything like this before and my friend who is helping me is no expert, but we're plugging along. So far we have torn everything out of the bathroom...tile, carpet, sinks, plaster walls, tub (weighed like 800 pounds), etc.

I'm going to be putting a suround bathtub in place of the old cast iron w/tiles and was wondering if I had to drywall/greenboard behind the suround part of the tub? Or do I put the tub and suround part in first and drywall around it?

If you'd like to see pics of what we stumbled through on day one you can see them at

Thank you in advance,

Nick Bedard

Reply to
Nick

My opinion, based on my most recent remodel- Insulate the hell out of the wall with Styrofoam, get rid of the window, replace it with glass block, and tile from the tub. I'd never use Greenboard if I were to be using a standard grout in the tiles format.

I used silicone instead of grout, and after several years, not a hint of mildew. Google me for details on the job if you like. Including using Copper-Bond instead of a torch on the copper pipes.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Depends on the surround kit. Typically a molded once piece tub/surround combo will attach right to the studs with no drywall behind it. These are nice because there are no seams to clean or keep caulked but because of the size it's next to impossible to install one in a finshed house. I ripped mine out last month and had to cut it all up with a sawzall just to get it out of the house (nasty fiberglass mess!). Since these are huge and put in during new construction I doubt you'll be using that style.

I'm still in the process of remodeling. I ended up installing a whirlpool tub and used greenboard right down to the tub flange. I found a really nice looking arched 1 piece surround that can flex in on itself in order to get it around tight corners. This will attach right to the greenboard. The only seam will be where it meets the tub.

Reply to
vairxpert

Great, thanks for the info guys. Just got back with all the stuff and we'll be drywalling/greenboarding in about 30 minutes. Woo hoo! :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick