Not another water softener post.....

Yes, it is another water softener post. I am thinking of ditching our Rainsoft system. The thing unreliable and to get a tech to even walk in the door costs as much as getting a new model from Home Depot. Does anybody have a system that they love or one that I should stay away from? Any suggestions would be great! Mark
CSI INC-Signature Series

Kinetico. Pretty expensive initially, but it's The Solution. I'm very glad I purchased mine.
Mark S wrote:

I would go with a Kinetico system. It is like buying 2 units with the twin tank. You never run out of treated water. It is like buying a cordless drill with 2 batteries, it works all the time. The other units only have a limited supply of quality water. Buy something that works all the time not part of the time. You will use less salt and water too!
I just installed a Water Boss from Menards in my sons home . At 12 gallons and 2 1/2 lbs of salt per on demand recharge that's awesome! $500 cost initial It beats my 30 year old water king at 70 gallons and 7.5 per every three days recharge It has been a excellent softener but its time to retire it FWIW I installed softeners for about 10 year till I hurt my back

Thanks Larry, and your cat... After some poking around, the Water Boss does look like a good option. The price is in the right neighborhood, and apparently you can get them at Home Depot. (Close to me) Not too many complaints on the web. It's funny I just got a call from RainSoft letting me know it's time for them to come and deprive me of several hundred dollars, again... And my softener is stuck in the middle of a regen, AGAIN..... New head, a couple of hundred more... NOT! Thanks Mark

The 12 gallons and 2.5 lbs of salt sounds great!! Until you add up 7-8 days of daily regenerations; 12*8 gallons and 2.5*8 lbs of salt over a week's time. And compare that to a softener using the Clack WS-1 control valve set for a capacity that regenerates on average every 8th day and then uses 50+/- gallons and only 6-9 lbs of salt TOTAL. And it has a 5 year warranty on the control valve and 10 years on the tanks. It might cost a hundred or so more.
Kinetico sounds great too. They claim as little water and salt use as the Water Boss. But compare it to say a Fleck 9100SE, or 9000SE, or either in a machanical metered version instead of the electronic meter version. Then set it up to regenerate every 3 days or so than maybe 3-4 times a DAY. And you don't need any disposable cartridge prefilter and you save maybe $2000.00.
To learn about correctly sizing a softener: www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/
Thanks to all that responded. Another option that I came across, that I think I am going to do... Replace the valve head with a Fleck 5600. I found this on my own... http://softenerparts.zoovy.com/category/6600.rainsoft My tanks are fine, and this eliminates Rainsoft from the picture. The Fleck seems to be an industry standard with replaceable parts. I just figured I would respond to let other dissatisfied Rainsoft folks know that there is another option... Mark

Caution, the new control may not mate properly into the RS tank ad that can/will cause leaking.
Gary Quality Water Associates

According to the distributor he has had no problems replacing them.
Mark

That may be true on newer tanks, so how old is yours and will a standard control valve's o-ring fit flat on the top of their tank neck or should/will it go down into the thread area slightly on a 45* angle deforming the o-ring?
Gary Quality Water Associates