Non-incandescent oven light?

Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature applications like oven lights?

Reply to
Bill J.

the heat would likely kill the electronics. it doesn't like to sit at 425F for hours at a time, let alone the selfcleaning cycle.

Reply to
chaniarts

Led's do not like heat. Heat kills many in bus rear taillights in the hot sun. Leds like it cooler than 25 deg C. It would have to be through a window, just like fans do not last long in the heat, as in Turbo Oven. All fans are on the outside.

greg

Reply to
zek

LED's inherently also keep getting dimmer as they warm up over a certain threshold. If you pulse it with high current, the light output sags. To get 50 K hours life, they must be operated conservatively. Not many engineers do that when your trying to get a lot of light.

greg

Reply to
zek

Thanks for the replies.

What I am wondering is what I'll replace my oven light with if incandescent bulbs are regulated out of existence.

Reply to
Bill J.

If this is an industrial oven....like a pizza oven then a small metal halide lamp can be used...I have seen this in a local rotery pizza oven

MH lamps dont mind the heat and can last a L O N G time

wattages are available down to 39 watts (who comes up with these offbeat numbers) and the 50 watt type fits a medium screw based socket .

If this is a home oven check on flea-bay and stock up a dozen bulbs this should last like 10-15 years with casual use.

Reply to
Harrison Lighting and Neon

temperature

They will probably come with miniature quartz/halogen bulbs. Yes, these too are incandescent but not the type that will be regulated out of existence. They run hotter than an oven.

Reply to
LSMFT

Why do you really need a light in the oven? Shine a flashlight in it..... (just a thought).

That type of incandecent bulb will probably still be sold. There are quite a few exceptions such as the small flame shaped bulbs and specialty types (which this likely is). Someone posted a list on here (via weblink) awhile ago, which shows all the exceptions. I dont recall the site....

Even if a CFL or LED light could survive in that heat (which it cant), the solder would melt.

Reply to
jw

An led would quickly fail at oven temps. Oven lamps are one application exempt in all the incandescent lamp replacement legislations.(for that reason)

Reply to
clare

Totally a non issue as those bulbs are allowed and WILL be available (and can be used in your cieling fan too)

Reply to
clare

How long before someone offers a stove with a ... gas light?

Reply to
Larry W

Appliance bulbs are one of the many exceptions to the upcoming incandescent "ban".

Don Klipstein

replying to Bill J., DeanGo wrote: I would not use an LED in a regular oven. How many hours a year is your oven light on where you will have a significant savings. The FED's are not eliminating regular incandecents for special applications, only primary home useage at this point. I currently have 3 intermediate base LED's in my convection/microwave oven and they have worked fine for over a year. They are the silica-gel covered kind, are designed to handle higher heat, and are certainly brighter than the originals. If they have lost any intensity over time, it is very little.

Reply to
DeanGo

replying to clare, DeanGo wrote: I have had silica-gel type LED's in my convection/microwave for over a year without issue. I sear all of my roasts on the broil setting, which barely gets to 500 degrees, but the bulb has done just fine in there. I did watch it closely the first couple of times I used the new bulbs.

Reply to
DeanGo

A very timely response that took you 8 years to compose!?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

replying to jw, abyc wrote: in your case, Why do you even need an oven. hold a match to your food.

Reply to
abyc