Noisy sump pump

I have a 3/4 hp sump pump with 1 1/2" PVC carrying the water outside. The problem is that this pipe runs through a hold cut into a floor joist. An awful lot of motor noise is transferred to the joist and, hence, into the family room directly above. I have a check valve with neoprene couplers installed about 3' above the pump, which I was hoping would quiet this a bit. Maybe it does a little, but not much. Is there a product marketed specifically for this purpose? Perhaps a length of flexible (reinforced?) hose would help? Or maybe wrapping the PVC in foam where it passes through the joist?

Any other ideas?

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

water outside.

a floor

joist and,

check valve

which I was

but not much.

Perhaps a

maybe wrapping

Can you push it away from contact with the joist with your hand and silence the problem noise? Then try the foam. Or, suspend it with nylon cord so that it doesn't touch the joist. The flexible hose might fix it also. Or some combination.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Go to your local supply place and look for the soft rubber couplers; put one between the pump and the pipe; it'll help a lot. Then take the place wher it goes thru the wood and somehow fasten it securely against the wood so it can't bounce or move around. Worked well here.

HTH

Reply to
Pop

I'm not sure but isn't 1 1/2 inches pretty small. I can't go check now, but I think my pump is that big and it uses 2 inch pipe I think.

But mostly I agree with the others. Either make sure it doesn't touch the joist or make sure it is firmly attached to one. The first if possible.

Here I'm not talking about much noise ==> I have never heard my sump pump before, in 22 years, but this year it is so wet that it runs a lot, I guess. It's in the basement in the left front of the house, and when I'm in my office on the left front of the second floor, I can hear it start and finish. But There are no pipes or metal things between the two places. Maybe the heating vent. But I've never heard it before.

mm

Well, you could connect a solenoid to the pump's switch that turns on a very loud radio or cd player whenever the pump runs. Maybe get a CD with ocean sound effects :)

However, on a more serious note, I'd put foam pipe wrap around the pipe where it goes thru the wood. Other than that, all you can do is find another way to exit the pipe from the basement without touching the wood.

Just a thought, but some of that "great stuff" foam around the pipe ????

Yes, the flex pipe could be quieter, but that stuff tends to spring leaks as it ages. especially where it rubs against objects (like the holes in your wood). I'd rather live with the noise than have a pipe that might start shooting water all over the basement. I HAVE had this stuff spring leaks, and it's no fun when you got to wade thru dirty water shooting out of the flex pipe to shut off the pump.

One last thought. I am a farmer and am aware of clear soft plastic milking parlor hose (milk line). The stuff is soft, very durable, and quite expensive. But at a couple bucks a foot, how much do you really need... Use solid pipe on the vertical run, and adapt it to the milk line where it enters the wood. I think this would solve most of the noise. Actually, any soft hose would be quieter than solid pipe.

Today we have wireless electrical devices, someday we will have pipeless water transfer. Put that one in your pipe and smoke it.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff