noisy garage door / opener !

i bought this 7 year old house several years ago, and the garage door has always been noisy, at least to me
[it's a sectional door with small wheels, on a track]
will a new opener solve the noise problem, or is it most likely the door itself?
it's a Genie Pro [something] opener
thanks mark
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

see.Teflon rollers reduces noise. I am a fan of screw drive.

Home Depot has garage door lube, in spray can. I should read the label some day, see what is the ingredient.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-B-laster-Garage-Door-Lubricant-16-GDL/202532761
I sense that silicone, or white lithium grease in spray can might help. Spray the wheels, axles, and rail guides.
Also the chain, or screw drive.
Spraycan is cheaper than replace a unit that might just be dried out.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

have heard that you should not do that because the lube will catch dust. YMMV I do know I have had one where somebody greased the track. Bad news.
Then there is another possible source of noise. The opener may be coupling to the structure through the supports. On "Ask This Old House" one time they had that problem. It was fixed by isolating the opener from its mount. In that episode they used pieces of truck tire to make short extenders. Cut 2 strips of truck tire to be about 3 or 4 inches long. Drill through the ends and use the strips as hangers between the mount and the motor. It worked for them. They got the truck tire by stopping along the high way and picking it up.
Bill
On 8/17/2015 8:59 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

I'm one person who thinks it's a good idea to try the quick and simple solution, first. If you'd like to hire sesismologists with big seismograph, and have them study for a few months at your expense, then have at it.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 13:09:29 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

noise is coming from. They sell small tubes of graphite lube (I think that's it - its been a while) for them. Running the lube along the length of the screw quiets them. Its amazing how quiet they become. I do mine every few years. I have never tried spray or WD-40 or oil so I can't speak for any of that, but the stuff made for the job is what Genie says must be used and it works wonders.
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 4:09:42 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I almost always find that just tightening down all the tracks and the drive line reduces the noise by about 50%. If they get a little loose, they vibrate which causes a lot more noise.
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 4:09:42 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

All of the lube suggestions are great, but I'll offer one more noise- reduction suggestion:
If the GDO is attached directly to the ceiling joists, consider isolating it from the hard surface by suspending it on heavy duty rubber straps.
I did that many years ago and it not only reduced the noise in the garage, but also virtually eliminated the noise that was transmitted to the room above the garage, enough that my 2 young boys no longer woke up whenever the GDO was used.
I used 2" wide strips of rubber that was basically the same make-up as a 1/2" thick conveyor belt. 20 years later and the strips are as good as new.
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 3:09:42 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do not lube the rails. The rollers are meant to roll, not slide.

I never oiled or used silicone spay on garage door tracks. What the hell for?