No COLD water in washing machine?

Page 1 of 2

Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine. Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-)) Any ideas?
Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks
Lou
Add pictures here
βœ–
Assuming it does have CW at the faucet, the CW hose could be kinked shut, crud could be plugging the screen at the inlet valve in the machine, the machine's inlet valve itself could be bad, the water temperatire selector or associated wiring could be bad. All just guesses without being there. Larry
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 6, 7:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:

Good. Everyone prior seems to have overlooked that screen in the machine itself. I am _very_ familiar with it as my well pumps fine silt and plugs them. I say "them" as I have had 3 machines over 30 years and finally pulled that screen out of all of them.
Never a problem with the hot water as the heater acts as a settling tank...which reminds me that I need to drain and clean that tank again.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

Easy stuff first. Is the shut off valve for the cold water turned on? If it is turn it off and isconnect the cold water hose from the washer. turn the valve on again. (aim it into a bucket ) and check for water coming out when the shut off is turned on again. If no water coming out check for clogged filters at both enda of the hose. If water comes out of the hose then it is most likely the the valve on the washer. If the owner is good to work with have them repalce the valve. If the owner is uwilling, changing the valve is not a big job. get the machine make and model and call appliance part shop and get pricing. Might be cheaper on line but delivery time is a factor.
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–

I do not mean this as an "idiotic remark".
If she is renting, is she also renting the machine?
If so, she should call the landlord - not just because it's the landlord's responsibility, but if the attempted repair causes more damage, she could be liable for a new machine - or at least subject to a major finger-pointing hassle.
That said, if it were my machine, I'd turn off the water to the machine, remove the cold hose from the back of the washer and turn the water back on - with the hose in a sink/bucket of course.
If there's water coming out of the hose, then perhaps the solenoid for the cold water valve is broken or if it's a fairly modern machine, some electronic control circuitry could be bad.
Again, I do not mean this as an "idiotic remark", but you didn't give us any information as to the type or vintage of the machine so it's kind of hard to be any more specific.
Add pictures here
βœ–
That's a real reply, to an idiotic usenet post. You were very gentle, all considered.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

re: "You were very gentle, all considered."
Thank you. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm really a nice guy.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hi ................ Agree: Btw do you pronounce that 'Durbee' or 'Darbee' ??????
Cheers: terry (lower case 't')
Add pictures here
βœ–

..
Derby...as in Soap Box Derby
As in http://aasbd.org
Add pictures here
βœ–
-snip-

Cool. Do they have an old-timers race? SBD is one of the three things that I have wanted to do but haven't gotten to yet.<g>
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–

The do have an Ultimate Speed Challenge that allows for older drivers and totally custom made cars (as opposed to the kits now required by the AASBD.) However, there is one criteria to drive in that race that I don't think you meet:
You have to have raced in a Championship Race in Akron at least once in order to be allowed drive an Ultimate Speed car. That means you must have raced as a kid (8 -17) and have been good enough to make it to Akron by winning your city's annual race or by earning enough points on the Rally Circuit.
Here are a few pictures from last year's USC. We're in the process of building a car for the 2010 race which my daughter will be driving.
1st: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2009_ultimate_speed_challenge/3910550747 /
2nd: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2009_ultimate_speed_challenge/3910642571 /
3rd: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2009_ultimate_speed_challenge/3911333474 /
Pics of all entries and movies of the heats can be found here:
http://www.estatetrafficschool.com/UltimateSpeed/Ultimate%20Speed%202009.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–
I really am tempted to write something totally idiotic, here. But, that would likely cause my nose hairs to grow faster. And, I could accidentally fart in the tub, and pass out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Do you really think we give a crap that you don't want remarks? You probably excluded many of the people that would also give a sensible reply in addition to an idiotic remark.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Most likely it's the solenoid valve. After checking that water is available at the end of the hose and that the screen on the washer connection, if there is one, is not plugged, next step is to find out if there is voltage on the solenoid when cold water should be filling. If there is voltage, then the solenoid valve needs to be replaced. They aren't very expensive and relatively easy to do.
But, per other comments, if the machine is part of the rental, they should just call the landlord.
Add pictures here
βœ–
This is one of the few free speech zones left, so I'll just finish eating my dinner, and step outside for a good ripper of a fart.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

We have hard water around here and the time that happened to me it was because lime had built up in the screen where the hose connects to the shutoff valve.
David
Add pictures here
βœ–

Same problem became a huge pain.
I disconnected the hose and turned on the spigot. OK Checked the screen. OK Checked for voltage at the solenoid valve OK Replaced the solenoid valve, still had the same problem.
Back to square one
Replaced the spigot, problem solved.
I never really troubleshot it anymore but I think the spigot had a loose washer. The spigot worked OK when you turned it on and off manually but I think the all-at-once action of the solenoid valve caused the loose washer to seal against the valve seat.
Jimmie
Jimmie
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dear Jimmie,
Dear Jimmie,
You know, that sounds like it would have been nearly impossible to diagnose.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

This is a fairly common problem these days. It's the result of global warming.

Not much she can do except work for the enactment of the climate change bill.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Lou, being a smart person, has probably already checked the cold water bib and cold water hose, anyway? Checking for clogging and/or debris? BTW solenoid valves often have have screens in them too!
Would recommend to check the cold water solenoid or the wiring to it. Can do that (although he probably already knows this?) by swapping hot/ cold hoses.
If cold water with hoses swapped then goes into the tub when machine is set to hot or mixed then it is MOST LIKELY the cold solenoid valve. Or the wiring or switch controlling it. Since solenoids do occasionally burn out. I've seen maybe two or three in the last 50 years or so, it's more usually the hot ones that go open, I'd opt for checking the cold water solenoid coil.
Solenoid valves are pretty simple to disassemble and it may be possible to just replace the coil.
The last repair we had to do on our 'dishwasher, by the way, was replace the coil of the (hot water in this case) solenoid water inlet valve. They are all much the same and the coil from another used one is often a perfect fit.
If it's wiring (unlikely) or switches (slightly more likely) it's pretty simple for anyone with basic electrical knowledge to troubleshoot.
That remark about 'renting' is unclear! But in the mean time if the user does need to use the machine the cold hose could be used to run some cold water into the open top of the washer while it is filling with hot; or it could be used to fill the washer with cold water and then supervise the rest of the washing cycle adding cold water manually until machine is fixed.
Or with hoses swapped it would at least be possible to wash with COLD only while the machine is set to HOT and allow it to go through it's whole cycle. Used washing machines not very expensive anyway.
Add pictures here
βœ–