Nighttime Toilet Noise

The upstairs toilet is working perfectly but it frequently makes a loud noi se somewhere down the line when flushed in the middle of the night. It soun ds like someone slammed a door in the basement. This only happens when I fl ush it at night, like around 2:00 a.m. or so, no such noise during the day.

Any ideas as to why this happens?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Could be the sound of turds being dislodged.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Any ideas as to why this happens?

Paul

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Possibly water hammer?? Doesn't usually happen with a toilet fill valve since they taper off as the tank fills and don't immediately close like a washing machine water valve, but it's possible....

Reply to
SRN

A long shot but it could be that your "water hammer arresters" are partially malfunctioning.

It's possible they're getting, for want of a better term, pushed all teh way in overnight (when little water is used), and partially reset during the daytime when there's more water activity.

Reply to
danny burstein

I don't think it's from the fill valve. Here's the sequence: 1, flush toile t; 2, about two seconds later, a loud thump from somewhere way down below, about the time I would imagine the water from the flush to get to the drain pipe which heads out perpendicular from the waste line to the sewer line;

3, at this time the tank has already begun filling.
Reply to
Pavel314

Pavel314:

Buy a "mechanic's stethoscope" for $10 to $15 in any place that sells mechanic's tools:

A mechanic's stethoscope allows you to pinpoint the source of noises. You hold the metal probe to whatever you suspect is making the noise, and the noise will be heard louder and louder as you touch the probe closer and closer to the source of the noise. It will be heard loudest when you're touching the probe to the source of the noise.

In this way, you can touch the probe to both the water supply line to the toilet, and the vent stack in your basement to see if the noise originates in the supply piping or the drain piping.

It's very possible that the thump you hear is actually the water hitting the bottom of your vent stack. If you have a mechanic's stethoscope, you can check for that noise during the day and at night, and I'll expect you'll find it's equally loud all the time, it's just that there's more competing noise during the day.

Mechanics use these tools to pinpoint the sources of noises in machinery. I have a cheap Lisle mechanic's stethoscope I bought for $15 every bit of 25 years ago, and it's a very handy tool to have because it allows me to pinpoint the source of all kinds of noises. Wish I had a similar tool to pinpoint the source of odors.

Reply to
nestork

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 19:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote in Re Re: Nighttime Toilet Noise:

Is it always about 2 sec latter? If not, I would guess it's water surge in the pipe from the pump to your pressure tank. The surge is causing the pipe to vibrate. It probably occurs during the day also, but you don't hear it because of ambient noise, distractions, etc.

Reply to
CRNG

I'm not being funny, but don't flush at the 2 AM time and see if the noise happens in the morning flush. I suffer from an enlarged prostate and my nighttime visits happen around

4 AM (no noise though). I too have a well.
Reply to
willshak

I would shut off the water into the toilet and then do my usual 2 am flush. If the noise is still there, it is obviously something to do with the dra in line. If the noise is not there, it is in the water supply system. Thi s is so obvious a way to troubleshoot!!!!.

Reply to
hrhofmann

On Monday, September 23, 2013 11:05:10 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrot e:

h. If the noise is still there, it is obviously something to do with the d rain line. If the noise is not there, it is in the water supply system. T his is so obvious a way to troubleshoot!!!!.

Good idea!

Reply to
Pavel314