News, channel 9, Gaithersburg

New home, lit fireplace this morening for first time, went out to the movies.

Chimney set attic on fire. Burned without showing for quite a while.

Returned from movies to find 300,000 dollars worth of damage.

Anyone who can pay more than 300G for a house ought to know enough not to go out when the fireplace is burning, especially for the first time. But I guess it doesn't work that way.

mm

New as in still under builders warantee?

TB

Reply to
tbasc

You??

Do I need to watch the 11 o'clock news??

I watch 7 now (instead of 9) but will check it out.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

moral of the story, get a home theater with popcorn machine.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi, What do you mean, going out to movie leaving FP on is nothing to do with fire. Whoever installed FP did not do proper job. Even if they did not go to movie fire would've started. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Wondering if you work at Circuit City or Best buy?, LOL! I have two FPs in my house. What fire? No matter where I am or what I do. BTW, HT makes people lazy I think. I had to laugh when I see this HT chair costing couple grand with drink holders, massage back, etc. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Leaving an open flame untended is criminal stupidity. Even if it wasn't 'showing', I'd wager there was enough smoke leakage from attic to set off the smoke detectors long before the house was fully involved. People that inexperienced or stupid shouldn't play with matches, or they should have had an auto-dial alarm system on their drywall mansion. Be interesting to see which insurance company pays, theirs, or the builders, due to the apparently defective flue and chimney stack. Also be interesting to see if the award is reduced due to their contributory negligence. Someone in the area, please post a followup if you see or read further about it.

aem sends...

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Don't hate me, but I am shopping....

;-]

Dr. Hardcrab

I agree. I mean, an open flame! What, would you leave a candle burning? or better yet, start your car in the garage with the door shut, then sit there in the driver's seat watching a movie on your portable DVD player.

Reply to
SeaKan

I installed a woodstove and chimney a few months ago. And I watch it like a hawk.

I bought 3 identical wireless indoor outdoor thermometers. I installed a outdoor sensor from one of the 3 sets on the wall near the stove, then placed the 3 receivers around the house. (All are same frequency.) So when I am in another room, I can tell how hot the walls are around the woodstove from any of the 3 receivers. If it gets to be around 100 degrees on the surrounding walls, I'll go in and turn on a fan to cool the walls and I'll damper down the woodstove.

I also have a thermometer on the chimney and if it gets too hot, I'll damper it down.

Seems to me it would be quite easy to burn your house down if you don't keep an eye on things.

Reply to
Bill

Doesn't seem to be much relationship between common sense and the amount of money one makes. In fact, if there is a relationship, it is the inverse. Hard workers that require a lot of common sense tend to be on the bottom of the pile. The entertainers-movies, TV, sports, musicians, etc. often have no knowledge of how anything works or when one needs to be careful. Then there are the managers, who may be able to manage, work flow and other workers but may not be able to manage anything else in their lives.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Maybe.

To Hardcrab, no it wasn't me. I have trouble going upstairs when the fire is going and the screen is in place.

I live in Baltimore and used to have trouble getting 7. In addition, channel 9 is good Friday at 7PM, so I've gotten to like 9.

I don't have cable, but even if I did, it doesn't have DC stations except 5 I think. I have an amplified antenna. When there are different shows on the network stations in the two cities, I can pick which one I want.

mm

I don't think I said that. What I mean is that anyone smart enough to make enough money to own a house that costs more than 300,000 ought to be smart enough not to leave the FP when it is burning.

George got my poit, and rebutted it.

Yes, but if they had been home, they almost certainly would have found the fire sooner. I know that the way the fire department works, there might have been almost as much damage, but that is not my point. My point is that they went out the first time the fp was running. Had there been a different kind of problem, they might have found it before there was any damage at all. They might have smelled something smouldering before there was any fire to speak of, and put it out with no damage. Or 100 dollars damage to a ceiling.

Not the first time I ran it, but the first time I went to the store when the dishwasher was running, I forgot that I had no dw detergent and used clothes detergent. Came home and found 8 inches of bubbles all over the kitchen floor. Of course that did no damage.

mm

"mm" wrote

On was on Channel 5 this morning.

I switched from cable to Dish 4 years ago. The thing I hate, some "law" out there says I can't get Baltimore channels.

I miss my Marty Bass........

;-]

BTW, I live down in Gawd's Country (St. Mary's County)......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

It seems that way. So get an amplified antenna, and you will probably be able to, and a remote controlled coaxial swtich, to forth and back from DISH.

The antenna feeds the VCR in my bedroom, and from there I have coax to the bathroom with the tub, my office, the living room, the finished basement room, the laundry room, the kitchen, and the attic. Some of these didn't really need it, but the coax was running right by. It cost two dollars and 15 to 30 minutes to do one more room.

For the antenna, I have whatever Radio Shack sells, and it works fine. For a few years I got all the stations except on some tv's 9, then 9 started coming in well and at the same time 7 wasn't so good. After about 10 years, I thought the antenna wasn't working, so I bought another one, but now I think it was a different problem. So they are both in the attic, and if the second one ever breaks, I'll go back to the first one.

I also bought at a yard sale very cheaply a rotating indoor amplfied antenna, but I haven't the patience to fiddle with the rotator, and it doesn't make much difference since all of the DC stations are basically the same direction from here, so that's sitting there for when both of my other antennas break.

I understand.

mm