new tv

Page 2 of 2

That's not an argument, Sparky. You obviously have no method of learning most of what you purport to know.

Your kill file is broken. Again. -----
- gpsman
Nate Nagel wrote:

Mine is a Denon AVR 3300.

I don't have a center, or LFE (don't need an LFE).
But my front speakers are Paradigm Studio 100v.2 and rear are Studio 60's.

Hi, It is not even a main stream brand. At that size, little tiny speakers with flat plastic cabinet, what can you expect? Just not enough to have decent pair of speakers, Another case of you get what you pay for.
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 13:07:13 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I didn't read the entire thread yet but does this 22" have the ability to connect external speakers? I'm thinking that might improve the sound to some degree. Of course if he's on a budget, this is an added expense perhaps.
On 8/19/2012 3:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Agree, the smaller size low end brands tend to have tiny speakers and a low power amplifier. I picked up a 22" LG for an elderly relative a few weeks ago for their bedroom and it had pretty decent sound.
On 8/19/2012 3:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree. Neither old company is probably making the TV's but putting their names on cheap Chinese junk.
I just bought a couple of HD Samsungs and quality is terrific. Sound is fine but if you want more of a surround sound seller recommended speakers.

Not even the same companies. They sold the names for the consumer electronics market years ago.

cj wrote:

(polaroid? westinghouse? Can you hear me laughing up here?)
Because those brands (and those sizes) are all that you americans can afford these days...
On 8/19/2012 1:41 PM, cj wrote:

or other source. What leads you to believe that the TV itself has good sound which is somehow being degraded by the cable input? Most likely it is exactly the opposite situation, good cable signal audio and a TV with hollow sound.

Flat screens have crap sound spkrs. Make sure yer TV has an audio out plug or at least a headphone jack. Then, get a pair of cheap "powered" computer spkrs. Powered means they are amplified and can boost even ear/headphone level output. You can get 'em dirt cheap or even free at swap meets, garage sales, thrift shops, Walmart, etc. I bought a set, two adj stereo spkrs w/ separate sub-woofer. Better than ANY TV spkrs and only $10, brand new. I was later given a similar setup, free.
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
On 08/19/2012 10:41 AM, cj wrote:

LCD screens are expensive, and there is fierce competition to make them affordable. Most people also consider a large LCD TV to be part of a home theater system, and they will have additional speakers and amplifiers for them.
Something has to give, and this something is often the speakers and/or sound processing.
Jon

The general consensus is dead on. It has nothing to do with your cable at all. It's completely related to the TV. As others have stated, low end models will do that. Add low end models to the smaller size TV and you'll have strings and can sound.
Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Toshiba and Panasonic (mostly Plasma) are your better options with Samsung and Sony at the top.

And I'll say that the Vizio [36? 42?] I got a few years ago has a great picture, but borderline sound. Good enough for me-- but many reviewers suggested getting a sound bar for it.
[The price on the Vizio was so good, I could have bought a sound bar & been happy, but I can live with mediocre sound]
Jim

Bass and treble controls will do nothing to affect a "hollow" sound quality. Those controls only affect the bass and treble (surprise, surprise!)
Try hooking your computer speaker system up to the TV as a test. You will almost certainly hear a dramatic improvement. Then look for a permanent solution.
Nil wrote:

Tone control? Really good amp/speakers needs only volume control. If you want to have good sound system, sky is the limit for the cost. Also real good pro level Tv does not have audio amp inside or speakers. It is just a display panel fed by amps. and video/audio processor.
CJ:
Make sure any "virtual surround" or other enhancements are off in the audio menu. Sound leveler should be ok - cures the common LOUD commercial. :)

All HDTV is compressed. I have seen some of the more compressed versions. I'm pretty sure I see a better picture on comcast vs direct tv. I have seen ultra compresed versions too.
Greg
On 8/20/2012 9:44 PM, gregz wrote:

Typically the best you can get as a user is the OTA version. Both the satellite and cable companies are known to further compress that. That is one of the reasons cable companies want to get analog channels off of their systems. There was a noticeable difference in Comcasts clear QAM retransmission of the locals a few weeks after they removed all of the analog channels.
On 8/19/2012 1:41 PM, cj wrote:

quality is much better...thanks for the input gang
CJ

You can get pretty good sound for the buck with pc speakers, which should also include subwoofer. Really good sound requires at least a couple hundred bucks just for mini monitors. Plus sub, plus Amp/ decoder Lowest cost around $700 but not surround. Figure another $600 for surround. A minimal cost system that would be quality sound. The price only goes up for better system.
Then there are used systems, and if you know how to make speakers, it Still costs a bunch.
I had a visio. Had cheap subwoofer hooked up. Was ok. Had front firing speakers. Then I got a coby. No audio output except digital. Not currently using that sub. It also has those speakers that bounce off wall, except the tv is not mounted flat on wall. Currently using cardboard reflectors under tv so I get some kind of decent sound.
Greg