New Roof Questions. (New England)

Hello:

Live in New England.

Looks like we need a new roof.

Know nothing about roofs.

What type of roof shingle should we be interested in ? Brands that are good ? Any to avoid.

I guess these things come in different thicknesses (weights ?). What would be typical for a New England climate.

New roof would probably be going on over existing shingles. Is trhere an intermediate layer that is put between them ?

I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of the exact terminology) that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is this a good thing to have ?

What should we be asking the contractor, or what should we be specifying ?

Any and all thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Most critical thing to resolve is the installer!

Best way is to find homeowners locally who have used the same contractor to install a roof recently, and as many years back as you can go. Pick the contractor with the fewest complaints/best satisfaction.

The best shingles will produce the worst-performing roof if the install is bungled.

You need a roofer whose judgement you can trust.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

And much depends on how much you want to invest.

I replaced a heavy shake in the Denver Area a few years ago. Ended up with a stone covered steel. Being in a heavy hail area I got a 27% discount on my homeowners insurance.

Costs as much as a heavy shake but appears it will last forever. Light weight.

I got their tile version:

Rich256