New Roof Questions. (New England)

Hello:
Live in New England.
Looks like we need a new roof.
Know nothing about roofs.
What type of roof shingle should we be interested in ? Brands that are good ? Any to avoid.
I guess these things come in different thicknesses (weights ?). What would be typical for a New England climate.
New roof would probably be going on over existing shingles. Is trhere an intermediate layer that is put between them ?
I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of the exact terminology) that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is this a good thing to have ?
What should we be asking the contractor, or what should we be specifying ?
Any and all thoughts on would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

Most critical thing to resolve is the installer!
Best way is to find homeowners locally who have used the same contractor to install a roof recently, and as many years back as you can go. Pick the contractor with the fewest complaints/best satisfaction.
The best shingles will produce the worst-performing roof if the install is bungled.
You need a roofer whose judgement you can trust.
Dave
Robert11 wrote:

And much depends on how much you want to invest.
I replaced a heavy shake in the Denver Area a few years ago. Ended up with a stone covered steel. Being in a heavy hail area I got a 27% discount on my homeowners insurance.
Costs as much as a heavy shake but appears it will last forever. Light weight.
http://www.gerardusa.com /
I got their tile version:
http://www.gerardusa.com/tile.shtml