New Honda HS1132TAS Snowblower engine problems

I am experiencing some problems with my new 2003 Honda HS1132TAS (used only 2 times).

It runs great for the first 20-30 minutes. Then it starts to run very rough (as if the choke is on)...misfiring, engine slows, no power, and lots of black smoke (enough to coat the snow on the exhaust side). After letting it "rest" for several minutes, it will run great for awhile longer...and then the cycle repeats.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems? Is this a problem with the design of this model, or only my unit?

I've spoken with our Honda dealer (who is being terrific), and he said that he has seen this problem on other Honda HS1132TAS snowblowers. He said the problem may be that blowing snow is being sucked up into the carburator and freezing. (Isn't this the exact condtions for which a snowblower is designed)??? The dealer mentioned that Honda has a "de-icer kit" available for this model...but if this is a common problem, then why isn't this standard equipment?

I purchased the Honda thinking that they were "over-engineered", not needing retrofits to make them work in the snow...

I tried calling Honda Customer Relations (770-497-6400), but they were pretty much useless. He refused to answer any technical questions replying only "work with your dealer". Obviously a different Customer Relations group than Honda Automobiles (excellent support).

Despite my ramblings, my only questions are:

  1. Is this a design problem with this model (are others experiencing the same problem).

-or-

  1. Is this likely to be a problem with the unit I ended up with?
Reply to
Bryan

Ask here:

Just cut and paste your whole question -- no need to retype it.

Reply to
Robert A. Barr
  1. The dealer says there is a retrofit. Doesn't this imply that many others have had the same problem? I can't imagine them making a retrofit kit for a non existant problem.
  2. From your descrip, it already IS a problem with the unit you have. Why do you have to ask usenet readers if you already have a problem you are describing very clearly? Do we know your particular machine?

You didn't ask how to solve the problem, so I won't advise you there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Truth is stormin does not know didly. Make sure your choke is actualy opening, look inside the carb inlet when its warm

Reply to
m Ransley

He didn't say that.

As if you could, you sanctimonious piece of trash.

Reply to
Robert A. Barr

I've spoken with our Honda dealer (who is being terrific), and he said that he has seen this problem on other Honda HS1132TAS snowblowers. He said the problem may be that blowing snow is being sucked up into the carburator and freezing. (Isn't this the exact condtions for which a snowblower is designed)??? The dealer mentioned that Honda has a "de-icer kit" available for this model...but if this is a common problem, then why isn't this standard equipment?

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

I removed the air-intake cover from the carb and looked down the carb inlet -- no obvious icing or blockage in the carb.

The dealer is installing the de-icing kit...hopefully this will solve the problem (but still curious if others are experiencing similar problems).

Reply to
Bryan