New Homelite Trimmer Won't Start

Page 1 of 3
This has been used only a few times. Today it wouldn't start. Followed the instructions carefully and even tried spraying quikstart into the carburetor. Never fired, not even once. I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing, but this has me stumped. Any help you could give would be most appreciated. (Yes, the compression is fine.) I did notice that the priming bulb was full and that it didn't seem to depress well (too much resistance) as though it wasn't pumping the gas properly, but I may be off on that. Thank you. Frank
frank1492 wrote:

Pull the spark plug. Is it dry and 'normal' looking?
Ground the end of the plug and pull the cord. with the switch in the "On" position. (or get a spark tester for a few bucks). Is there spark?
There's only 3 relevant things most of the time (barring the engine being worn out). Fuel, spark and timing. If you prime the carb before checking the plug, you should see gas on it <plug>. Likewise, you can pour a small amount of fuel directly into the plug hole, screw plug in, and try to start. Spraying fuel into the air filter/intake does not guarantee it is getting into the cylinder.
The plug was wettish. I replaced the fuel with fresh. Still not a sputter. I think that says no spark. When I check I'll report back but I think this may clinch it.
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 01:49:39 -0400, "83LowRider"

Is it under a warranty????
frank1492 wrote:

Well then, we know you're GETTING fuel to the carb. When you see/say the plug was wet - it shouldn't be - unless you had just <very> recently primed it.
That doesn't say anything as to whether you're getting spark.
Take the plug out, put the spark plug cap/boot on the plug. Ground the bottom of the plug against the engine. With switch turned 'on', pull the cord. You should see a spark. You'll often 'hear' it as well.

Take out the plug. Pull the cord several times and let it sit for a day ( gets gas out of crank case) Next day pull it a couple more times Get new plug and check for spark BEFORE you put it in If no spark, check to make sure kill switch is in the RUN position If you have spark, then install NEW plug You're welcome
Hank

From experience, I know exactly what the problem is. It says "Homelite" on the side of it. Tools that are marked "Homelite" last for only a few hours.
On 06/01/2012 08:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I bought a USED Homelite chainsaw (a cheap, Chinese-made, underpowered big-box version) last year to cut up a stump. It was used by the previous owner to the point where the paint was worn off of the bar.
I used it as-was to cut the stump up, resharpening the blade every time I hit dirt (which was frequent because this was a stump), and it worked fine.
This year when I ran it to cut some trees (in the rain), after not much work it wouldn't start. I cleaned the (clogged) air filter and bought a new plug, and it's back to working like new.
If you are a professional and need professional-grade gear, then yeah, you need to step up, but my cheap, used cheap-Chinese Homelite product is working just fine for my homeowner needs.
Jon
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 06:59:33 -0700, Jon Danniken

Want to buy my Homelite? It had less than ten hours and was worn out. You certainly got lucky, but that is a rare exception. Ask at any small engine service shop.
On 06/02/2012 07:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Already got one, but thanks. :)
One thing you have to realize is that they typical Homelite purchaser is not going to be an experienced two-cycle engine user. They will be less likely to properly mix the gas, they might keep it too long (ie, not use the mix within a month), they will be more likely to leave gas sitting in the tank, and they will be more likely to forego the routine maintenance (air filter and spark plug) that any two-cycle motor requires.
Yes, they are cheaply built, but how much saw can you reasonably expect for $80? Despite that, I've had good luck with mine using it for intermittent household-duty work, paying attention to proper maintenance.
Jon
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 08:32:55 -0700, Jon Danniken

Use gas within a month? Who does that? ...particularly 2-cycle mix (I was lucky to use a gallon in a year, so bought a 4-cycle trimmer).

On 06/02/2012 11:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I mix mine up by the pint. One pint is about 500mL, so adding 10mL from a into the 500mL gives me a 50:1 mix. Between the trimmer and the saw I use it up within a month (or two if I'm being lazy, but I use the oil with the stabilizer in it).
Jon
On 6/2/2012 1:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Hello? the four cycle trimmers (at least the STIHLS) which is the only brand i would consider. Still use mix fuel.
--
Steve Barker

Hello? Not everyone is a Stihl shill. Mine doesn't use mix, rather has an oil pan. You really gotta get out more.
On 6/2/2012 6:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

are we talking string trimmer? With a crank case full of oil? What brand is that? It must be heavy. How's it work upside down? I really don't need to get out more. I have stihl products, no need to go out anymore at all.
--
Steve Barker

At least some of us are, though it's hard sometimes to know exactly what you're talking about, other than shilling for Stihl.

Certainly.
Mine is a Troy Bilt, but there are others.

Wrong.
Quite well. Well, it's right side up, for the trimmer.

Wrong, obviously.

No doubt about it, you're just a Stihl shill. Fool.
On 6/2/2012 9:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

that guy that loves his probably doesn't have near 10 hours on it. LMAO! Try 12 or 14 a DAY 100 or so days a year.... think STIHL.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:36:50 -0500, Steve Barker

You might do it differently if you run a landscape service. But I've been using my 90 buck Craftsman for about 8 years. Probably put no more than a couple hours run time on it each season. Maybe less than 2 hours. That's all I need. Never drained the tank. Never pulled the plug. Always started with a few yanks after sitting all winter, always with old gas in it. In fact, I bought the gas I that was in it at the start of this season about 4 years ago. Wouldn't start this year, so I drained the tank and turned it upside down for a couple days. Bought new gas for the mix, primed it and it started with a few yanks. Kind of disappointed me. Was looking to get a new one, with 2 strings. Anyway, it's always had touchy choking. If not fully choked and at half-throttle, it won't fire. You'd think it was purely dead. Then as soon as it fires, you have open the choke quickly, or it dies. And I mean quick. Like 2 seconds quick. Then it runs like a banshee. So tricky choking causes some engines to seem dead. I've seen the same on car/truck carbed engines, but on 2 strokes it shows up much more. Always check the choke first, then move to spark.
--
Vic

On 6/2/2012 9:59 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

The problem I've had with cheap chinese big box store crap is that they don't start easily nor do they stay running. Set a cheap chinasaw down for 30 seconds to reposition a log and the saw will die. Then your doing the Jane Fonda Workout on the starter cord trying to get it running again.
Do yourself a favor and toss that chinasaw out the car window on the way to your local Stihl dealer.
On 06/02/2012 08:34 AM, diy savant wrote:

The idle adjustment screw is easily accessible and quickly fixes that problem; if you had read the fine manual you would discovered this for yourself. They are purposely set too low to keep the EPA happy, as well as to make DAMN SURE that there is ZERO CHANCE of the clutch engaging when someone sets the saw down next to the baby when they go in the house for another crackhit (you can thank the lawyers for that one).
A harder adjustment is increasing the mixture screws to be richer, because they have a limiter on each screw which allows them to only be turned leaner (again, thanks to the EPA for that one). This can cause a problem if the saw is running too lean at WOT, and will burn it up in short order.
As in most limiter screws, it is easily bypassed if you are somewhat handy (I removed the limiters on mine).
Jon