New drywall against existing walls

I brought the height of my closet down from 96"to 80" (easier to purchase doors). In doing so I had to place new drywall against an existing painted and fished wall. Do I tape the joint between the new drywall and existing wall and if so will the tape show through mud and paint on the existing wall.

What do i need to do tp prep the existing surfice, should I have bevelled the old existing wall?

------------------------------------- Walleyefreak

Reply to
Walleyefreak

Not if you properly finish the wall with a wide feathered edge. I have joined old to new many times. It just takes a little more skill and effort.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I woulda faked the top of the opening with a sheet of cabinet-grade plywood finished the same color as the new bi-folds or sliders. Bi-folds, I suspect. When I was house-shopping, I saw a lot of ceiling-height closets like that in late 50s to mid 60s houses. I don't know if it was to save building a header, or so they could tell the SWMBOs how easy it would be to get to the top shelves, which is always a pain with normal closets. I imagine getting exact replacements today would indeed be a PITA.

But since it is too late for that, what Colbyt said. Biggest problem will be that inside corner wanting to crack with weather changes.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Maybe finish it with a tidy cove molding nailed just to one side.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Why would dropping the ceiling cause you to have to buy a new door??

Reply to
hrhofmann

He didn't drop the ceiling. He replaced a floor-to-ceiling closet door with a normal 6'8" closet door, which required doing something to cover the gaping hole in the wall above it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Ditto...Patience and multiple coats...However many it takes to look good to you....Good luck....

Reply to
benick

Had a similar situation with my folk's house in 1995. We moved the door from a bedroom closet to the hallway. I put in studs and drywall in the old opening. For some odd reason that bedroom ( the smallest of the three, also my old room) had two closets--one on either side of the room. We did the modification to use that closet for the central air I put in. Anyway,my mother (then 65y/o) taped. floated, textured and painted it, and you couldn't tell by looking at it that it wasn't that way since the house was built. I live about 250 miles away and had to get back home after finishing the a/c install, so I wasn't there when she did it. I don't know how long it took or exactly how she did it, but the average pro probably wouldn't have done as good a job. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331