"Blonde moment & a refrigerator"

From Craigslist today.....

Date: 2009-10-19, 3:13PM PDT

I bought a refrigerator on craig's list for my garage. Paid $100. It works fine, but it is missing its interior shelves. I looked online and Sears is charging $97 per shelf.

I feel like a real dummy. So if anyone has any shelves from a broken fridge maybe I could pick them up before you call NV Power to recycle it. Or if anyone is, by any chance, looking for a fridge without any shelves, then today is your lucky day. The exact size I need is 25

3/4" wide by 15" deep. It is for a Galaxy model #25368800991, part #: 5303307451. But if you have ANY shelves you aren't using, whatever the size, I'd be willing to try to make them work.

Also, please email me if you have any ideas where i could find shelves without paying full retail. I need help. Thank you so much!

Reply to
Oren

Can you have some wired glass cut to fit?

Reply to
norminn

There may be some used appliance dealers in your area that you could ask. Try The Yellow Pages.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It is so the keg will fit. Make sure you put the tapper hose through part of the shell without coolant lines.

But seriously- if you want open shelves, the wire things they sell in the closet remodeling aisle will work. Cover the cut ends with some sort of u-shape channel. I've even seen plywood with drilled vent holes used. (but that tends to get skanky unless you urethane it.) Or just ask the local ma-n-pa appliance store if you can look in the pile of dead ones out back. Same vintage and actual manufacturer (as opposed to the brand name), the shelves will probably fit.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Oren wrote in news:749qd5pebsd4785pqj5cj4u7i3ud9phnf9@

4ax.com:

I had a side by side with missing freezer racks and found the replacement co$t as you did.

I ended up using the coated wire rack from the Borg. Made it work with cutters and a bigger hammer. Either the closet stuff or the shelving stuff - whatever works for you. In fact, when done the racks on the frig side looked shitty. So what do I do? Nope. I left it. It was a resale house. Frig is not part of std fixtures that go with a house here. You either sell it or include in sale as an enticement labled a "gift" which translates to as-is.

Reply to
Red Green

please email me if you have any ideas where i could find shelves

Look in the Yellow Pages under Scrap Metal..they often have old fridges at scrap metal yards

Reply to
Rudy

Shopping Carts

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Sure, but that will prevent the needed air flow. Plywood will also choke off the air movement.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One time, a friend had a fridge without shelf. I measured, and got one that was too big, from the local metals recycling place. Cut it to length with a bolt cutters.

Hint: Cut an inch or two longer than what you tape measure, and then cut it down if you really need to. You can always trim a half inch off, but you can't add a half inch. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you can read a tape 'correctly' why make it longer, that's just stupid !!!!

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

I think the suggestion of wire shelving is a really good one.

You might also consider looking at the BORG for adjustable gas grill grids. They usually slide to adjust the width and you might get lucky and come up with a "no tools" installation.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Cold makes things contract, right? Soon as you put those warm metal shelves in the fridge, they're gonna get shorter. Best cut them a bit longer when they're warm just to be sure. ;-)

On a serious note, if I'm sourcing something from a recyclers and using something like bolt cutters to do it, I probably would make sure I get something a little larger - then I'd take more time to cut a nice neat edge in the 'shop at home (not using bolt cutters), which will lose a little bit of material in the process.

Reply to
Jules

Sure! Then he sends me for a"board stretcher"....

"Son, I cut it three times and it's still to short."

Reply to
Oren

Chances of getting exact right shelves probably remote. Our fridge has worked fine for years with one of the shelves made from plywood. Most likely be necessary to make something using whatever one can get hands on. Or get an old oven rack and cut it down etc. etc.

Reply to
terry

It's hard to read a tape! correctly! on an inside surface like! that!! I ! know, I tried various ways!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Classic:

CW: Yes ? I've cut it three times, and it's still too short!

HQ: Come down the mountain ? now!

Reply to
Oren

How about oven racks? If they're too short/narrow width maybe you can use brackets to double them up?

Reply to
tmclone

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hbkb9r $71d$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Rookie... :-)

Reply to
Red Green

I'd make a template out of two slats from old window shades or other long, thin pieces of wood and a binder clip. Hold them together, extend them till they both touch and then clip in place. From what I see of old timers working, they'll make a template as often as they'll make measurements for a lot of "cut in place" sort of things. In the Paleozoic era, when people still used linoleum, I remember seeing a pro make a paper template with two sticks and a square so fast I was "floored."

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yeah, it's good advice. For any home project my time often seems to be about evenly split between making the actual item and making templates/jigs/tools to make the final thing better...

Ha, I did that in our bathroom as a temporary floor until we get around to tiling it (and/or relocating the bathroom and turning that one into a rear hallway / cloakroom*) - anything was better than the green carpet the previous owners had!

  • feature-creep is great. :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to