New deck - best sealant/stain

Page 1 of 2
I just had a new deck installed (1 month ago) using pressure treated lumber. What is the best sealant stain to use to protect my investment?
I have received a lot of conflicting advice.
Thank you for the assistance.
Brian snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
ck consumer reports
A product called : Pelucid. Available at www.por15.com . Dries VERY hard and keeps out moisture. Ideal for wood. Makes Thompsons Water Seal product look aweful.
Dave
Thompsons water seal is crap, mainly wax. consumer reports dropped it from its long term testing its so bad.
There are few ways to go that is why reading an updated comparison test will help you the most. You have clear and semi transparent as being the best choices , what is best for you may not be for me .
Excuuuse me Dave
I just went to por-15. Por 15 is a designed primarily as a rust inhibitor for metal not wood.
Is Not a wood topcoat , is Not UV stabil, It will deteriorate and change color and is designed to be Painted. Totaly inapropriate for a wood deck. Gee , there is nothing like reading specs .
Excuuuuse me! Dave didn't recommend Por 15...he recommended Pelucid...which is on the POR 15 site....and which exhibits NONE of the traits of Por 15. It is clear, it is UV stabil AND it can be used on wood.
Gee there's nothing like reading the post completely and with a little accuracy!!
Now, whether you want a glossy, polyurethant type finish on your deck is another matter altogether.

'Dave didn't recommend Por 15...he recommended Pelucid...which is on the POR 15 site....and which exhibits NONE of the traits of Por 15. It is clear, it is UV stabil AND it can be used on wood. Gee there's nothing like reading the post completely and with a little accuracy!!'
ME: Bingo Bongo !!!
Guess his advice here is as good as it is under Dave from Illinois over in the HVAC group - then he has the nerve to put other down and then give advice about HVAC here which apparently is as good as his deck sealing advice . I hope he has his Liability insurance paid up (if he even has any ) as he is going to need it..

'Guess his advice here is as good as it is under Dave from Illinois over in the HVAC group - then he has the nerve to put other down and then give advice about HVAC here which apparently is as good as his deck sealing advice . I hope he has his Liability insurance paid up (if he even has any ) as he is going to need it..'
ME: Hank, youre as dense as Ransley !! Read the two posts right above this one .
ANd..over in alt.hvac, you dont expect them to blow me kisses when i correct thier foul talk, slander, and lewd comments to HO's , do u ?!!! THey are out to discredit me because they dont like their reprobate minds being brought to the surface. You must be like them in order to condone their childish behaviour.

Read the info sheet on what you are reccomending - and YOU talk about dense.....

Ummmm - lewd/foulmouth --- yeah right -- would you like me to post the link to tubgirl that you posted there (yes - you are not the first but for someone who preaches like you to post it is the ultimate in hypocrisy.)

My Apology , Dave , Sorry I have bad eyes and couldnt see a link to prevlicor , prevlidick [ whatever ] the product is.
But i looked at their Search and found it and read the specs and appropriate applications .
I found Nothing under Warranty, or Guaranty ?????
Well davie I KNOW paints for residential and A Quick lesson here is hard finishes are inappropriate for expanding surfaces ,, Ex Exterior...............
The main difference is Expandibility. Decks move , that is why a hard finish like PAINT isnt wanted on a deck .
Exterior finishes Must expand and contract Pelussa 39 doesnt. Or whatever the generic "Name" crap is..............
Big Cos pay Chemists . Big money to advance them . POOOR 15 cant do it
BTW you post ::: Post to your questions::: Fake names :::::::Fake Posts :::::::::GAL
Thats Get a Life Bozo
what crap
Ransley :'My Apology , Dave , Sorry I have bad eyes and couldnt see a link to prevlicor , prevlidick [ whatever ] the product is.'
ME: Apology accepted. Ask the POR Tech, and he will tell you that Pelucid is good for decks. Their products are expensive but you wont have to do your deck every other year either.
Dave , I know paints , and coatings its been my life. I would not recommend or use a Hard Film product on a deck or Exterior wood. By hard I mean unexpanding. The specs of that product show a tough stationary film, exterior woods need expansion and contraction properties.
Also in failure , over time all coatings fail, you have the issue of peeling with Hard Film products. This is why Stains are so good , they don't peel they wear away. It is essentially a modern chemistry clearcoat designed for hard surfaces which can be purchased cheaper, and likely better from a leading manufacturer that has more PHD Chemists on their research team then POR has salesman. I also couldnt find that warranty , and even if there is one would dought its worth. Ive has a few warranty claims paid to me and that is why I stick to the biggest companies around. Chemistry is an amazing field it continually advances coating technology and only the large companies have employed the best chemists. 140.00 $ a gallon doesnt make it good just high priced.
Hank :'Ummmm - lewd/foulmouth --- yeah right -- would you like me to post the link to tubgirl that you posted there (yes - you are not the first but for someone who preaches like you to post it is the ultimate in hypocrisy.)'
ME: If you would have looked at the address to that post , youd find it was HVAC Fella ; im HVACfella . It was a fraud -- not from me. Dont be so gulliable.

Umm - headers don't lie - or maybe it was your evil twin that lives with you and uses your WebTV account???
www.tubgirl.com
'Excuuuse me Dave I just went to por-15. Por 15 is a designed primarily as a rust inhibitor for metal not wood. Is Not a wood topcoat , is Not UV stabil, It will deteriorate and change color and is designed to be Painted. Totaly inapropriate for a wood deck. Gee , there is nothing like reading specs . '
ME: I never mentioned using "POR15" now did i !!?? I gave PORs address of www.por15.com -- thats all. On that site, if you had taken the time to READ THE LIST...you might have found Pelucid, their top coat for wood.
Apology accepted.
'Excuuuse me Dave I just went to por-15. Por 15 is a designed primarily as a rust inhibitor for metal not wood. Is Not a wood topcoat , is Not UV stabil, It will deteriorate and change color and is designed to be Painted. Totaly inapropriate for a wood deck. Gee , there is nothing like reading specs . '
ME: I never mentioned using "POR15" now did i !!?? I gave PORs address of www.por15.com -- thats all. On that site, if you had taken the time to READ THE LIST...you might have found Pelucid, their top coat for wood.
Umm - yep - nothing like paying $140/gal to put a HIGH GLOSS finish on your deck so the owner can fall on his butt after it rains.