New deck - best sealant/stain

I just had a new deck installed (1 month ago) using pressure treated lumber. What is the best sealant stain to use to protect my investment?

I have received a lot of conflicting advice.

Thank you for the assistance.

Brian snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
adc31555

ck consumer reports

Reply to
m Ransley

A product called : Pelucid. Available at

. Dries VERY hard and keeps out moisture. Ideal for wood. Makes Thompsons Water Seal product look aweful.

Dave

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

Thompsons water seal is crap, mainly wax. consumer reports dropped it from its long term testing its so bad.

There are few ways to go that is why reading an updated comparison test will help you the most. You have clear and semi transparent as being the best choices , what is best for you may not be for me .

Reply to
m Ransley

Excuuuse me Dave

I just went to por-15. Por 15 is a designed primarily as a rust inhibitor for metal not wood.

Is Not a wood topcoat , is Not UV stabil, It will deteriorate and change color and is designed to be Painted. Totaly inapropriate for a wood deck. Gee , there is nothing like reading specs .

Reply to
m Ransley

Having researched this issue for a new fence, I found Cabots to be highly rated and have been happy with the results.

Reply to
Pelorus

Excuuuuse me! Dave didn't recommend Por 15...he recommended Pelucid...which is on the POR

15 site....and which exhibits NONE of the traits of Por 15. It is clear, it is UV stabil AND it can be used on wood.

Gee there's nothing like reading the post completely and with a little accuracy!!

Now, whether you want a glossy, polyurethant type finish on your deck is another matter altogether.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Sikkens, Benwood, Cabot, Flood, and Olympic tend to get good feedback.

Behr and Thompsons tend to get negative feedback.

Even the best stains tend to only last 2-3 years on most decks. Rain/snow, foot traffic, and full UV light intensity really takes a beating on the surface. You also need to apply them thin so there's not much protection.

Reply to
davefr

Guess his advice here is as good as it is under Dave from Illinois over in the HVAC group - then he has the nerve to put other down and then give advice about HVAC here which apparently is as good as his deck sealing advice . I hope he has his Liability insurance paid up (if he even has any ) as he is going to need it..

Reply to
Henry77

True but the HIGH GLOSS finish it provides would make a VERY slick surface for a deck (especially when wet) and at $140/gallon -OUCH and if you read the full info sheet it sounds like some pretty nasty stuff - hardly what a typical homeowner would want to apply .

Reply to
Henry77

'Excuuuse me Dave =A0=A0I just went to por-15. =A0=A0Por 15 is a designed primarily as a rust inhibitor for metal not wood. =A0=A0Is Not a wood topcoat , is Not UV stabil, It will deteriorate and change color and is designed to be Painted. Totaly inapropriate for a wood deck. =A0=A0Gee , there is nothing like reading specs . '

ME: I never mentioned using "POR15" now did i !!?? I gave PORs address of

-- thats all. On that site, if you had taken the time to READ THE LIST...you might have found Pelucid, their top coat for wood.

Apology accepted.

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

'Dave didn't recommend Por 15...he recommended Pelucid...which is on the POR 15 site....and which exhibits NONE of the traits of Por 15. It is clear, it is UV stabil AND it can be used on wood. Gee there's nothing like reading the post completely and with a little accuracy!!'

ME: Bingo Bongo !!!

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

'Guess his advice here is as good as it is under Dave from Illinois over in the HVAC group - then he has the nerve to put other down and then give advice about HVAC here which apparently is as good as his deck sealing advice . I hope he has his Liability insurance paid up (if he even has any ) as he is going to need it..'

ME: Hank, youre as dense as Ransley !! Read the two posts right above this one .

ANd..over in alt.hvac, you dont expect them to blow me kisses when i correct thier foul talk, slander, and lewd comments to HO's , do u ?!!! THey are out to discredit me because they dont like their reprobate minds being brought to the surface. You must be like them in order to condone their childish behaviour.

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

ME: I never mentioned using "POR15" now did i !!?? I gave PORs address of

-- thats all. On that site, if you had taken the time to READ THE LIST...you might have found Pelucid, their top coat for wood.

Apology accepted.

Umm - yep - nothing like paying $140/gal to put a HIGH GLOSS finish on your deck so the owner can fall on his butt after it rains.

Reply to
Henry77

Read the info sheet on what you are reccomending - and YOU talk about dense.....

Ummmm - lewd/foulmouth --- yeah right -- would you like me to post the link to tubgirl that you posted there (yes - you are not the first but for someone who preaches like you to post it is the ultimate in hypocrisy.)

Reply to
Henry77

My Apology , Dave , Sorry I have bad eyes and couldnt see a link to prevlicor , prevlidick [ whatever ] the product is.

But i looked at their Search and found it and read the specs and appropriate applications .

I found Nothing under Warranty, or Guaranty ?????

Well davie I KNOW paints for residential and A Quick lesson here is hard finishes are inappropriate for expanding surfaces ,, Ex Exterior...............

The main difference is Expandibility. Decks move , that is why a hard finish like PAINT isnt wanted on a deck .

Exterior finishes Must expand and contract Pelussa 39 doesnt. Or whatever the generic "Name" crap is..............

Big Cos pay Chemists . Big money to advance them . POOOR 15 cant do it

BTW you post ::: Post to your questions::: Fake names :::::::Fake Posts :::::::::GAL

Thats Get a Life Bozo

Reply to
m Ransley

Hank :'Ummmm - lewd/foulmouth --- yeah right -- would you like me to post the link to tubgirl that you posted there (yes - you are not the first but for someone who preaches like you to post it is the ultimate in hypocrisy.)'

ME: If you would have looked at the address to that post , youd find it was HVAC Fella ; im HVACfella . It was a fraud -- not from me. Dont be so gulliable.

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

Ransley :'My Apology , Dave , Sorry =A0=A0I have bad eyes and couldnt see a link to prevlicor , prevlidick =A0 [ whatever ] the product is.'

ME: Apology accepted. Ask the POR Tech, and he will tell you that Pelucid is good for decks. Their products are expensive but you wont have to do your deck every other year either.

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

Dave , I know paints , and coatings its been my life. I would not recommend or use a Hard Film product on a deck or Exterior wood. By hard I mean unexpanding. The specs of that product show a tough stationary film, exterior woods need expansion and contraction properties.

Also in failure , over time all coatings fail, you have the issue of peeling with Hard Film products. This is why Stains are so good , they don't peel they wear away. It is essentially a modern chemistry clearcoat designed for hard surfaces which can be purchased cheaper, and likely better from a leading manufacturer that has more PHD Chemists on their research team then POR has salesman. I also couldnt find that warranty , and even if there is one would dought its worth. Ive has a few warranty claims paid to me and that is why I stick to the biggest companies around. Chemistry is an amazing field it continually advances coating technology and only the large companies have employed the best chemists. 140.00 $ a gallon doesnt make it good just high priced.

Reply to
m Ransley