new commode

Page 1 of 2
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.
Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.
How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water, even though just two adults live in the house.
Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a commode that made a lot of flush noise.
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
toilet might have been a better term...
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.
Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.
How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water, even though just two adults live in the house.
Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a commode that made a lot of flush noise.
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
trailer wrote:

"Commode" is less ambigious.
"Toilet" could be a room. "Commode" is definitely a fixture.
No one ever says "I'm going to the commode."

Consumer reports tested most of them, subscribe I guess or maybe the review can be googled. Get a glazed large trap. They now work well, even HDs 59.95 glacier bay unit, I had a apt converted to them in 07 and had had no complaints and they are quiet, I put in 12 of them. Im sure many new ones dont flush well, the pressurized tanks are real noisy, like a jet taking off, but there should be alot out there that have the bugs worked out that save water. The reason to read a review like CR is money spent doesnt determine what is good.
Please take the old ones out gently, and list them for sale, used. Used toilets have a real place in the world. Some folks hate the 1.6 galon "flush twice, or clog the drain" models.
If you put in 1.6, be sure to wash your hands after, to send more water down the drain.
Quite? Quite, what? The ones I've used have been quite inadequate.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Reading into that, does that mean you don't wash your hands afterwards?

You've obviously never had a Toto. Lumping all low-flush toilets together is like lumping all softwoods together - you know, meaningless.

Maybe he means "the seat is quite cold in the morning"
trailer wrote:

I've never heard of a "noisy" toilet. And i've had real good luck with the american standard 'wellworth' model of toilets. If you want extra water down the hatch (which our 6 have never needed) you just hold the handle down.
On Sun, 17 May 2009 13:41:13 -0500, Steve Barker

Yean, but there were certainlly quiet toilets. More quiet than 95+% of the others. The one we had until we moved when I was ten was so quiet during flushing. My father must have paid extra for it. The tank was very short, at least 10 or 12 inches shorter than most toilets, barely reached above the level of the bowl (not counting the seat, of course), and it was shaped like a Milk-bone dog biscuit, so I guess it made up for the lack of height by a bigger cross section.
I don't know if they still sell these or not.
A friend has one, not the new lo-volume kind, in her one-man office at work, and its just as quiet. I told her if they were remodelling, I'd buy it, but I know her boss, her uncle, and he's not remodeling anything unless it's broken. (And I live alone so it's not like anyone is waking anyone up with a noisy toilet. Although the refilling annoyed me, so I turned the valve behind the toilet down so that the water enters at a very low rate and doesn't make any noise.)

Really! That works on all of them or you're just vouching for wellworth?

Sounds kind of like a Rialto. Was it this one?
http://www.kitchen-bath-plus.com/images/K3386.jpeg
The Toto (any of them) flushes better, but it doesn't have as large of a 'pond'.
On Sun, 17 May 2009 19:13:11 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

It has a short tank but as short as it is, not nearly as short as the one we had when I was little or the one my friend has at work.
I think hers is about 25 years old. (Mine would be 64 now. It has a ceramic S-shaped (on its side) handle. )
I'm not at all sure having a short tank guarantees quietness. But the two I've used were both very quiet. You could barely hear them flush even if you were standing right there.

??

Water area.

You should hear the pressure-assisted toilet I installed a few years back. Enough to awaken even the soundest sleeper a couple of rooms away.
As for the "Wellworth" toilets - Kohler has made the Wellworth toilet for some time. Are you plugging that model by Kohler, or some other model by American Standard?
JK
On Sun, 17 May 2009 21:14:02 -0700 (PDT), Big_Jake

I had one like that in a motel once. Like someone said, I thought a rocket had launched.
I took the cover off the tank, and then I tried to reach Jack Bauer to disarm the bomb inside.
Well it filled the tank and didn't look anything like any toilet I knew, but I was able to fall asleep in the bed anyhow.

trailer wrote:

noisier. I suspect the bad reputation of the low water consumption toilets was probably due to the first ones that came out many years ago.

Some of the old ones were terrible. The new ones, however, work well and flush fairly quietly. American Standard has a Cadet line with 4" trap that is supposed to be very good (I've seen demos on TV) and Kohler makes a couple of good ones. We have Kohler at work and no problems in over two years now.

You mean "quiet" not "quite".
I replaced 2 old toilets with LF toilets in my house in Abq. The new toilets worked much better and were not noisy. You maybe referring to the power flush toilets which are more expensive and in my situation not necessary.
I wonder if altitude has anything to do with the function of toilets?
od
yep-should have been 'quiet'. sorry.
someone brought up the footprint issue. do some of the newer toilets have the same footprints as the older ones? Also wonder about the toilet hold down screws lining up same as old toilet.
my current toilets are American Standard, vintage 1970-1973. I guess the gallons are 3.2/flush.

You mean "quiet" not "quite".
I replaced 2 old toilets with LF toilets in my house in Abq. The new toilets worked much better and were not noisy. You maybe referring to the power flush toilets which are more expensive and in my situation not necessary.
I wonder if altitude has anything to do with the function of toilets?
od
"trailer" wrote

Hehe it's ok, obvious typo.

That was me. Sometimes you can match, sometimes not. The toilet scres though will normaly match.

Good chance same brand will have something of same footprint. It will save you hassles with the floor covering if you can match it up. Larger also works if you cant match right on spot for it.

I put in one about 2 years ago. It was a high dollar one and it flushes well. Main thing is it does not swirle the water like the older ones and leaves solid waste stains above where the water is if you miss the water already in it.