Neptune dryer motor repair: perplexed

Hi all!
I am in the US. I have a Maytag Neptune [natural] gas dryer, model MDG5500AWW, with a serial number that starts with 10. It was bought new in May 2001, and has been working extensively since; 10-12 loads a week.
I had to replace the motor: the dryer would start for a split second, then quit immediately. If I spinned the drum before I started it, then it would run OK. I thought it was the capacitor, but these motors do not have capacitors, but a start winding; replaced the entire motor, per the advice I found on the web and in this newsgroup. I confirmed it with the tech guy where I purchased the motor.
Now for the perplexing part; it's not a difficult repair, nor is it easy to mess up; however, my display panel now shows "8.8." and will not do anything. It won't even turn off from the panel; the "off" button will not operate, I have to unplug the dryer. Every wire seems to be plugged in correctly [it's difficult to mess up with these molded plugs that only go one way] and every wire is solidly connected. When I put the old motor back on, the display is still messed up and nothing works; it was not before I replaced the motor. [*]
The door switch is fine [tested that with the tech at the part store].
Is there a panel reset procedure that I missed? I did an extensive Google serarch and could not find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Pierre
[*] The only thing that I know I did that was unusual was that I wiped the exhaust parts of the dryer with a damp cloth to get rid of a slight film of lint. In the process, the overheat sensor and the thermostat become slightly damp, but, since they were not plugged in, I don't think I did any harm. However, I disclose, just in case. Thanks.
On 23 Jun 2006 02:46:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bw.edu wrote:

Looks like the processor has halted. All the display segments are lit up, and that's why you get 8.8. Power supply issues, to the CPU, maybe (5 volt problem)? Look for a bad filter capacitor on the control board. Check both PC boards. Though it's not likely the motor control. Sounds like a CPU power issue. Pray that you didn't blow the CPU (a costly replacement, although this is rare).
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

Update:
I checked all my connections again, put it all back together, and lo-and-behold, I got the display to work "normally".
When I press the "start" button, though, the [new] motor engages, the drum does not move, and the display goes immediately to all segments, or "8.8.". The dryer then turns itself off.
I unplugged the dryer, replugged it, and now it's only displaying "8.8." again.
So it's intermittent and probably electrical. Fried board?
Thanks.
Pierre
snipped-for-privacy@bw.edu wrote:

On 23 Jun 2006 17:32:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bw.edu wrote:

The best way to check the power (low voltage DC rails) on the board is with a scope.
Faulty ground returns to any of the components could be another problem.
And my problem with Neptunes is, I'm not too familiar with them, since I quit the business (doing residential) about 13 years ago.
This makes it really, really hard to fix it over the internet. ;`>
Most service techs would just swap boards, anyway. Few will dig down to component level on a PC board. The only reason I feel comfortable doing it is I used to make a living working on CPU boards back in the 70's. A customer would often bring in a dead board for exchange, and we'd swap for a refurbished one. When all customer repair orders were done, we'd refurbish our own stock, and sell them for $200, with exchange. the field techs would just bring the boards in to us for repair or exchange. It's a good business, especially if you are factory authorized, because then you get all the warranty work, as well.
But I digress...

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Just don't mention "Atari" around me, or else! <g,d,r>
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
This is the direction of the appliance industry, machines with numerous electronic features that require service through a provider with deep pockets. There is nothing that an electronic Neptune dryer does that a $300 dryer can't do, unless, of course, you want something that will visually impress your friends.
People, instead of buying a $2k set, why not install 3 less expensive washers and dryers, and have an entire laundromat in your home!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

We have 2 washers and 2 dryers here, eventually I would like 4 dryers since it takes twice as long to dry clothes compared to washing them
On 24 Jun 2006 17:26:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

"Let's all go down to the river..."
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

I bought a used washer from a restoration place. They don't sell junks and provide a warranty. So there are two there I'm looking at - a basic one and one with the electronic touchpad. Guy was not pushing either but says the touchpad one was only $10 more. I said yea but for a simple problem the repair consists of a new board for probably 200-300, more than the cost of the washer. He looked at me with a silent agreement grin.
Anyway, no TV for the dryer door window like those damn frig's they have now? Does it boot up to windows?