I am in the US. I have a Maytag Neptune [natural] gas dryer, model
MDG5500AWW, with a serial number that starts with 10. It was bought new
in May 2001, and has been working extensively since; 10-12 loads a
I had to replace the motor: the dryer would start for a split second,
then quit immediately. If I spinned the drum before I started it, then
it would run OK. I thought it was the capacitor, but these motors do
not have capacitors, but a start winding; replaced the entire motor,
per the advice I found on the web and in this newsgroup. I confirmed it
with the tech guy where I purchased the motor.
Now for the perplexing part; it's not a difficult repair, nor is it
easy to mess up; however, my display panel now shows "8.8." and will
not do anything. It won't even turn off from the panel; the "off"
button will not operate, I have to unplug the dryer. Every wire seems
to be plugged in correctly [it's difficult to mess up with these molded
plugs that only go one way] and every wire is solidly connected. When I
put the old motor back on, the display is still messed up and nothing
works; it was not before I replaced the motor. [*]
The door switch is fine [tested that with the tech at the part store].
Is there a panel reset procedure that I missed? I did an extensive
Google serarch and could not find anything. Any help would be greatly
[*] The only thing that I know I did that was unusual was that I wiped
the exhaust parts of the dryer with a damp cloth to get rid of a slight
film of lint. In the process, the overheat sensor and the thermostat
become slightly damp, but, since they were not plugged in, I don't
think I did any harm. However, I disclose, just in case. Thanks.