Neighbors Shed

Page 3 of 4
I would think that being allowed to paint the back of their shed would also perserve it as it is in bad need of paint. I don't think it is fair that I have to look at it, when they do not. My back yard is beautifully maintained, and I take pride in it.
I don't see this as being pushy, but then again, I may be wrong.
It seems disrespectful to me, as I would never do this to a neighbor.
Thanks everyone for all the responses. Much appreciated.
Corinne
Cheri wrote:

You say that now, that you would never do this, but things happen. For one thing, they may have totally forgotten this could happen. Or they notice it and forget about it by the time they are back in the house. How old are they? Wait till you hit 50, younger for some people.

If you think that your asking permission to paint the back wall will be (correctly) interpreted as insinuating that they're not doing proper maintenance, and you don't want them to think that, then you could disguise your intent by asking permission to paint a mural there.Failing either of those solutions, you could always erect a free-standing trellis, a foot or two inside the line.
A good dense growth of pole beans, and it won't matter if they paint the thing or not.
A trellis - I love this idea.
Many thanks!
Corinne
Goedjn wrote:

She didn't describe a shared fence, and she doesn't have the right to paint it.
She also hasn't said where the property line is. AFAWCT, the shed and the fence are entirely the neighbors. But I agree with you that she should have given all the details at the start instead of as you well put it, letting us [potentially] spin our wheels.
Corinne wrote:

Looks like a situation that could start WW3 :o) I would not paint it, but the whole issue could be real complicated. Is it on your property? If so, probably gives you more right to paint it, but then they might someday own that little piece of land. If it is on the line, and a permanent building, it might violate setback or easement requirements. It may not be practical, but I think it would be better to plant a hedge that hides it or add fencing to cross what is missing and paint to match existing fence.
This is my second option. I do have a big tree in front of some of it.
It is right on the property line, but the overhang is on my property. I don't mind that as I have a small Yorkie and we can both stand underneath it in the rain, and she stays dry.
I am not a troublemaker, and never had a problem with a neighbor.
My yard is immaculate, and it would be oh so much nicer if the shed were painted.
I won't be doing anything without asking, and will wait another year . I cannot imagine them putting it off longer than this as the house is in bad need of siding repair.
Thanks.
Corinne Norminn wrote:

Why wait another year? Why not talk to them this weekend? You can skip the pie.

I can. Maybe they're short of money. Maybe her mother needs surgery. Maybe one lost his job. Maybe they're getting a divorce and don't want to spend more money on the house. Maybe they can't decide between vinyl, aluminum, and paint? Maybe that's why they're getting a divorce.
I think you're assuming their life is like yours and their status and plans are similar to yours.
My own ex-girlfriend, who I thought was the acme of reliability needed a new roof last fall, and still hasn't gotten one now. I asked her why not, and it seems she has some procrastination thing in this case, a part of her I've never seen before in 10 years.
BTW, doesn't this mean that even if the shed is painted, their in need of repair house will still be in your field of view? Even though your yard is immaculate, you may not be able to make your view immaculate, and that's part of life. But that doens't mean you can't ask them if you can paint their shed. They may say, Oh, we'll paint it, and then paint it, or not. Or they might tell you that you can, expecially if you can point to work you've done on your own house that looks good.

Over 400 years ago, Nostradamus predicted that on Thu, 15 Jun 2006
mm would say:

I was going to suggest that OP refinish the rest of the fence, that way she can say that she wants to paint the neighbor's shed so that it "matches in with the rest of the fence" rather than is in dire need of paint itself.
HTH PRose

Except the fence does not belong to the OP either. I don't know why a couple people suggested it did. I don't know what the law is if the fence is exactly on the property line, but even if it is on the property line and even if the law favored the OP, the neighbor will be upset if the OP paints it.
In addition, it's almost impossible to paint one side of any fence, except maybe a stockade fence where it is too high to see the top. Either the original color will show through to the OP in places, or the OP will have to paint part that shows to the neighbor. For one thing, people on both sides of a fence see different parts of it depending on whether they are standing or sitting, or loooking out the window of the split level the neighbors live in. There is NO way to paint one side of the fence.
Most fence builders put the fence an inch or two inside the property line. In my case, my fence is probably a half inch inside. I'm going by the notion that the property line is where the gutters of my townhouse end and the gutter of my neighbor begins. But because my downspout was in the way, the fence company put the first post between his downspout and mine (there was just enough room) and the first section of fence comes back to just inside my property line. AFAIK the owner of my neighbor's house at the time didn't object and afaik it's too late for them to assert dominion over the fence now. At any rate, I'd be very angry if the current neighbor decided to paint even his side of that section of my fence. Even if the law were on his side, it's a declaration of war, when what he shoudl do is discuss it with me. How much more so when the fence is probably within the neighbor's property.

Over 400 years ago, Nostradamus predicted that on Thu, 15 Jun 2006
mm would say:

Where I've lived, structures and fences had different offsets. So, for a structure to be part of the fence line it would have had to have been old enough to have been grandfathered in, and that usually means that both are right on the property line. When I lived in such a situation (one wall of the detached garage on the property line making up part of the fence), the neighbors involved had an understanding that each person took care of their side of the fence. So, for example, when I painted my garage, I only painted 3 sides of it, and when I painted my fence on the other side, I painted one side of my neighbor's garage, and one side of his shed.
This is the only way I can see that OP has a right to complain. If the their codes don't require different offsets and the shed is part of a fence line that is totally on the neighbor's property, then I suggest that she learn to live with other people who don't have the same priorities that she does.
Anyroad, my original point still stands that if she asks the neighbors for permission to paint the shed wall that she not do it in a manner that highlights how bad she thinks it looks in comparison to her "immaculate" backyard. And, if the shed is on the property line, they might already consider it to be her responsibility -- I never really thought a whole lot about what was going on with the fourth wall of my garage, as far as I was concerned, its outside didn't exist to me.
HTH, PRose

Maybe she could get a big mirror.

There must be a property line. I'd be planting Kudzu along my property line!
MoM

That's why around here, sheds are to be 4 feet inside the property line. Fences are at least 2 inches inside the line. You don't want to trespass, do you? ASK !!!
Here code requires 10 feet inside line for practical reasons even brand new sheds are placed at or within a foot of the line.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I agree. The OP could check with the municipal zoning officer and find out what the requirements are. In many places, you can't put a shed right at the property line. IMO, the neighbors are pretty much idiots who don't give a damn. Who else would skip making a property line fence complete and instead use a shed to complete it?
Then, it's up to the OP which route to go to solve the eyesore.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

Corrine should check zoning and city records, true. But, chances are pretty high the neighbors aren't the ones who actually put it there, and the shed may be grandfathered if it isn't even currently legal.
If all she wants is to be able to fix it up on her side, that's a perfectly viable option to be considered. Although it's a good idea to check with the town first to see what the zoning laws are (here, for example, fences in my town can go right on the property line), where the shed is exactly (possibly, it *is* a few inches on the neighbor's side of the line!), and what the legal status of the shed is. She should also be aware of any adverse possession possibilities. However, there are perfectly good reasons to just agree with the neighbor for a fix-up whatever the case. Clearly, from her posts, the shed itself doesn't bother her, it's its rundown appearance, and she's happy to just have it fixed up.
It's even possible the neighbor isn't aware of the appearance, and will jump to offer to have it fixed on their dime. BTDT. But she won't know until she makes a friendly approach to the neighbor about it.
Banty

They're neighbors. She should have baked them a cake and brought it over when they first moved in, with no strings attached.
IF she can't bake, she can buy a pie.
A month or two from now she can bring up the shed.

Good points Banty.
The neighbors must know how tacky it looks as their entire outside of the house needs to be redone. She said they were going to do it last October, but it never happened.
They have made some nice home repairs lately, but the siding is yet to be done. I will wait another year and then see what happens.
At any rate, I won't get into it with them and will put my own fence up if need be.
Thanks.
Corinne
Banty wrote:

I would not be tresspassing as the shed is right on the property line. For them to paint it, they would have to be on my property which does not bother me in the least. They would just have to come through my front yard to get to the back of their shed, which is in my back yard.
At any rate, I will definitely ask first.
Thanks.
Corinne