Neighbors Shed

According to Abe :

How do you know it's a shared "fence"? Unless it's exactly on the property line, you can't really tell.

In situations like this, it's always best to ask.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Goedjn

They talk; there's no mention of a conflict. No reasons to create a reason for a conflict.

Sneaking around doing stuff that's not clearly in your purview with the rationalizaton "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" gets folks nowhere. If you think that attitude's been working for you, it's because folks just don't want to deal with you (and likely are giving you the same treatment in the meantime).

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Looks like a situation that could start WW3 :o) I would not paint it, but the whole issue could be real complicated. Is it on your property? If so, probably gives you more right to paint it, but then they might someday own that little piece of land. If it is on the line, and a permanent building, it might violate setback or easement requirements. It may not be practical, but I think it would be better to plant a hedge that hides it or add fencing to cross what is missing and paint to match existing fence.

Reply to
Norminn

Sounds like a pergola.

Reply to
Dennis Turner

I agree with you. Bad relations with neighbors can be a nightmare, especially when it can be avoided with something as simple as asking before doing. Personally, I wouldn't care that much if somebody painted the back of my shed without asking, but I would file them away as a little pushy somewhere in the back of my mind.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Is the shed on the OP's property? (We have a split rail fence -- it's

1' inside our property line, and I'd be weirded out if people opted to beautify it/stain it, given that it's on our property). If the shed wall is on the property line, it's polite to ask (actually, I'm scratching my head on this one, as we have a 20' setback from the property line requirement for all structures...)

Caledonia

Reply to
Caledonia

I agree. I sure would not paint someone elses shed, even if it were exactly on the property line, without asking first. It would seem very likely that they would be happy to have it painted. And if they are the type to tell you not to when you ask, then painting it could result in all kinds of future trouble. I also don't buy the idea that they won't likely find out. More likely, soon as you're out there with a paint can and brush, they will just happen to see you. And then what?

Reply to
trader4

Ask them. It is far easier to avoid a conflict to begin with than to try to resolve one after you caused a problem. So they say no, at least you didn't cause a fued. If it is 'no' then you proceed with other solutions mutually agreed upon. Get the authorities involved only if you can't resolve it in a friendly way.

Check zoning, check with city, etc...? Why. Likely to cause problems and if the shed isn't bothering you why do that?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

"Harry K" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I have a neighbor directly behind me that put up her own wood fence to block her view my wood fence. Over the years mine has weathered grey. She is a priss to wants it to look brand new. None of the pickets are broken on mine. She just is fussy.

Reply to
zapalac

Reply to
maradcliff

It would make much more sense to just build a 12 foot high fence around your entire property.

Reply to
maradcliff

I'm not sure. Can I paint your house without getting your approval first?

Reply to
mm

How did they manage to tell you that were going to reside their house.

Have you ever seen decent folk when they get riled?

The others are morons.

Have you thought about suggesting the do their shed in the same siding they do their house? It might delay things but it would sure look nice.

Maybe they'd let you paint the shed in the meantime, but how they know if you do good work or not? How do they know if you will treat their house as well as your own. I wouldn't let you do it.

Reply to
mm

Maybe she could get a big mirror.

Reply to
mm

They're neighbors. She should have baked them a cake and brought it over when they first moved in, with no strings attached.

IF she can't bake, she can buy a pie.

A month or two from now she can bring up the shed.

Reply to
mm

She didn't describe a shared fence, and she doesn't have the right to paint it.

She also hasn't said where the property line is. AFAWCT, the shed and the fence are entirely the neighbors. But I agree with you that she should have given all the details at the start instead of as you well put it, letting us [potentially] spin our wheels.

Reply to
mm

This might be true, is probably true sometimes, about parents, or maybe spouses or children or siblings.

But if you think it is true of neighbors, you are so wrong. They will likely never forgive her and will certainly never trust her.

And no matter what other people have said, she'd be breaking the law. It won't just be those neighbors who won't trust her.

If so, they would ask permission before doing it. The OP can save them time and give htem permission when she brings the subject up.

Reply to
mm

Hi, I don't know about your neighborhood. Here max. height of fence is 6 feet.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I would think that being allowed to paint the back of their shed would also perserve it as it is in bad need of paint. I don't think it is fair that I have to look at it, when they do not. My back yard is beautifully maintained, and I take pride in it.

I don't see this as being pushy, but then again, I may be wrong.

It seems disrespectful to me, as I would never do this to a neighbor.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Much appreciated.

Cor>>property line, you can't really tell.

Reply to
Corinne