Neighbors Shed

Page 2 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm of the belief that what they don't know won't hurt them. You aren't planning on taking away from the value of their shed so just do it. They'll never know. I firmly believe it's much easier to get forgiveness than permission.
They have little motivation to paint back there. They can't see it and it would involve an invasion of your yard for them to access it. Avoid all the hassle and just take care of the problem with no fanfare.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I'm much more willing to work with someone asking my permission, than I am when I'm confronted with a fait accompli. So I beg to differ.

A recipe for a rotten relationship with a neighbor.
Banty

Banty wrote:

What work? Nobody needs to ask the owner for anything. He won't even know. I assume from the OP that they're planning to use the original color.

It sounds like they already lack much of a relationship. Fix what bothers you and don't worry about it. When is the owner coming into your yard to inspect the back of his shed? It sounds like it never happens.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

says...

They talk; there's no mention of a conflict. No reasons to create a reason for a conflict.
Sneaking around doing stuff that's not clearly in your purview with the rationalizaton "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" gets folks nowhere. If you think that attitude's been working for you, it's because folks just don't want to deal with you (and likely are giving you the same treatment in the meantime).
Banty

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Is the shed on the OP's property? (We have a split rail fence -- it's 1' inside our property line, and I'd be weirded out if people opted to beautify it/stain it, given that it's on our property). If the shed wall is on the property line, it's polite to ask (actually, I'm scratching my head on this one, as we have a 20' setback from the property line requirement for all structures...)
Caledonia
Caledonia wrote:

I agree. I sure would not paint someone elses shed, even if it were exactly on the property line, without asking first. It would seem very likely that they would be happy to have it painted. And if they are the type to tell you not to when you ask, then painting it could result in all kinds of future trouble. I also don't buy the idea that they won't likely find out. More likely, soon as you're out there with a paint can and brush, they will just happen to see you. And then what?
On 14 Jun 2006 17:04:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It would make much more sense to just build a 12 foot high fence around your entire property.
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I don't know about your neighborhood. Here max. height of fence is 6 feet.
6' here too.
Tony Hwang wrote:

This might be true, is probably true sometimes, about parents, or maybe spouses or children or siblings.
But if you think it is true of neighbors, you are so wrong. They will likely never forgive her and will certainly never trust her.
And no matter what other people have said, she'd be breaking the law. It won't just be those neighbors who won't trust her.

If so, they would ask permission before doing it. The OP can save them time and give htem permission when she brings the subject up.

mm wrote:

How will the neighbor even know? We're talking about painting ONE wall... the one the neighbor can't see and apparently has no curiosity about or pride in. If the paint is matched to the original, where's the harm?
If your neighbor somehow has a problem with that, they're not wrapped too tight. So they might hold it against you? So what? The shed looks good again from your point of view; it's unchanged from the neighbor's point of view. If it damages your already nonexistent relationship with your neighbors, I'd suggest you haven't lost much. But you have corrected the eyesore.
I already posted about a new neighbor I had a problem with over the length of her grass. Three new row houses went in across the street. The grass didn't get cut, the grass didn't get cut and the grass didn't get cut. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and cut the front yards when they got to waist high. One of the neighbor's called the cops. Well, I never heard from the cops as apparently they had more pressing matters.... but I never cut her grass again. A few weeks ago, when it got to waist high again, I called the city. *They* came out and cut her grass... and charged her $140 for the service. I was happy.
As for my relationship with the neighbor: what relationship? I've never spoken to her. Don't have any need or desire to. But if that grass gets high like that again, she can pay the city to cut it for her again. I keep *my* yard looking good.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I have always had good relations with my neighbors. We have shared gardens, helped each other remove trees and plant trees, and sealed driveways. This has been true with all of my neighbors for all of my life. Sure I had one that was cantankerous, but my moter-in-laws were worse.
Just tell your neighbor what you want to do. Be jovial.
Dick
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:21:51 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

For the record, I was only addressing how easy it is to get forgiveness.
But how will they know? They will see Corinne walking back and forth from the shed, see her carrying paint to the shed and from the shed. They may smell the paint. Or they'll look around the back of the shed sometime and see that it is painted, and figure that she is the only one who would have done it.

I don't think there is a harm.
But the odds are 3 to 1 or higher they won't like it if is done without their permission. Your story below about your mowing the neighbor's grass just confirms that. And a lot of the cases on the tv court shows are about stuff like this. I have a friend who worked as a clerk in a Staten Island court during one summer in law school.
He said he saw case(s) where two houses had one driveway, but two garages, and one owner would put a fence down the middle of the driveway because he was annoyed at something the other guy did. Of course he wasn't allowed to do that, but he did it anyhow. (OK I'm not sure this is relevant, but I like the story.)

You think that is the only interaction there will be with the neighbors in the next 10, 20, 30 years they both live there? Someday, Corrinne will need the neighbor, or the neighbor will have a way to retaliate.

See what I mean? And grass is something that grows back.

Not at all the same thing, because I did this for my benefit, but I used to use my neighibor's electircity to work on my car, because he's next to the parking lot and my townhouse is about 60 feet farther away. So I have to dig out the 100 foot extension cord. So my friend moves out and someone else moves in, and it was the middle of a work day so he wasn't home to ask. So I used his electricity to vacuum or drill a hole. Well, another neighbor tells him (that doesn't surprise me) but he was annoyed and told me not to do it again. I used less than a penny of electricity, and even he must realize I used than a nickle, but what annoyed him I think was that I didn't ask. Or that I saw what he had on his "patio" by the electric outlet. I still think for a grown man to complain about this is poor.

mm wrote:

LOL. That's exactly what I thought. His story is a good example of the reaction you can expect when you fool around with other peoples property without asking. Had he offered to mow the neighbors grass before just doing it, the reaction may have been a lot different.
And I'll bet if someone started painting his property or driving a riding mower around on it, he'd be the first one to be pissed off.
The shed case is pretty simple. The OP doesn't own it and shouldn't touch it without permission of the owner.
And a lot of the cases on the tv

I have three adjacent neighbors, all different. One does not do anything to his yard, contracts to mow his lawn, and I am constantly spraying poison ivy along this property line. The other neighbor put up an ugly cyclone chain-link fence. I planted a 270-foot long hedge that is now 12 feet tall which completely blocks the fence from view. Another neighbor put up a shed, not particularly unsightly, but it is now covered with moss and algae growth. To block that view I planted a row of forsythia that blocks all but the roof of the shed. Personally, I avoid doing anything or saying anything about neighbor's property. I have been fortunate that I have the space to landscape and block ugly views. That might help sell my house, if I should ever decide to do so.
This is the kind of advice I like.
Thank you!
Phisherman wrote:

Exactly that happened to the parents of an old friend about 25 years ago. As a result, NEITHER her parents nor their neighbors could get their cars through to their respective garages.
Fence still there (at the time I don't think there was any legal recourse).
And do you want to know what the original disagreement was? When driving into the garage, the corner of the car would momentarily pass over the property line if the driver wasn't very careful.
Really, really dumb. Demonstrates how senseless and stupid neighbor squabbles can be.
In a similar circumstance (over a fence between my dad's house and his neighbor), I went over and asked if I could do some minor repairs (some of which would be easier on their side). For my pains, had a nice visit, drinks and cookies, and they loaned me a ladder.
Or our neighbor. Comes over and asks us if there's going to be any trouble with him cutting down some dead trees just on his side of the property line. He didn't have to, but he did anyway. Nice. Initiated many friendly contacts ever since.
There's nothing to be gained, and much to be potentially lost by painting the shed without asking. And what if they say no? Plant a tree or flowers. Or A fence segment. Get enthusiastic and add a bit of patio, chairs, sun umbrella... Adds a lot more value to the house. Or whatever.
There's simply no advantage to pissing off neighbors for no good reason.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Thanks for all the replies.
Banty wrote:

How do you know it's a shared "fence"? Unless it's exactly on the property line, you can't really tell.
In situations like this, it's always best to ask.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

I agree with you. Bad relations with neighbors can be a nightmare, especially when it can be avoided with something as simple as asking before doing. Personally, I wouldn't care that much if somebody painted the back of my shed without asking, but I would file them away as a little pushy somewhere in the back of my mind.
Cheri