Neighbors Shed

Page 1 of 4
The back of my neighbors' shed faces my backyard.
They told me they were going to re-side the entire house last October. It never happened.
In the meantime, the back side of the shed is starting to make my view look tacky. It needs paint, and a few boards need to be nailed back on.
Can I paint the back side of their shed, without their approval, or do I need to ask?
Thanks.
Corinne
Ask first, Corrine. It can't hurt. Tom Corinne wrote:

Thanks Tom. I have not met them, but their windows face mine and they seem like decent folks.
Thought I would ask as others have told me to just do it.
I have never had problems with my neighbors, so this may definitely be the route to take.
Many thanks.
Corinne
tom wrote:

And stop looking through their windows! : ) (Gawd, for some reason I dislike emoticons. That one must be my 6th, ever. I'd hope my humor would be obvious to most folks!) Tom Corinne wrote:

LOL
This is impossible to do as they live in a tri-level, which overlooks my back yard. My home is a rambler.
But, they built a real nice roof type thing (cannot think of the name of it) next to their fence, and during the summer months, loads of green climbing plants cover it so it creates loads of privacy. It was built, I am sure, to give them some cover from the sun as they have a pool, and no trees in the backyard.
Kate
tom wrote:

On 6/14/2006 12:15 AM or thereabouts, Corinne appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

Sounds like a pergola.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I\'m simply an idiot.
Dennis Turner wrote:

How did they manage to tell you that were going to reside their house.

Have you ever seen decent folk when they get riled?

The others are morons.

Have you thought about suggesting the do their shed in the same siding they do their house? It might delay things but it would sure look nice.
Maybe they'd let you paint the shed in the meantime, but how they know if you do good work or not? How do they know if you will treat their house as well as your own. I wouldn't let you do it.

Corinne wrote:

Why haven't you met them? I would at least introduce myself, try to read how they are and present my idea. If they turn out to be morons then you can decide if you want to fire the first rocket.

Really bad advice. I am easy to get along with and if a neighbor just decided to do something without even asking I would be quite annoyed.

But you don't know about these neighbors because you have never talked to them.

OK, when I moved here a year ago, there is a three inch gap from the end of the fence to the shed. The wife was working there, and I was on the other side of the fence.
I yelled out, "Hello new neighbor", and we introduced ourselves. We had a very brief conversation, as it is hard to converse through the crack of a fence.
We talked about her being surprised that the owners sold the home as it is quite new.
Anyway, I really don't call that meeting my neighbors, but I have decided to start walking down their block, in hopes of meeting them.
At that point, I will not discuss the condition of the shed.
I am not in a hurry to do this anyway. Just thought I would ask.
I know some of the neighbors on their block, and they are complaining about the fact their driveway was torn up, over a year ago, and redone. But, the sad part is that the old broken up concrete is still on their yard, in the grass.
Corinne
George wrote:

And if they're amenable, do a really good job. Tom Corinne wrote:

I am quite handy, and love to paint. It would be done first class, but then again, they would never see it. They have to enter my back yard to see it.
It really is an eyesore for me, not them.
Thanks.
Corinne
tom wrote:

I know I'd be royally pissed if my neighbors took it upon themselves to "clean up" my property.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.
Eigenvector wrote:

Hmmm, Kinda insulting? I once parked my fifth wheel in my back yard when first moved into this house 11 years ago, guy behind one day came to me and asked me to give him some money so he can plant a tree or two to block the view of my trailer roof. I just shut the door in his face.

Neighbors can be interesting. We have one who put up a stockade fence 5 or 6 feet inside his property line last Spring. Later in the summer, I was out working in the yard, and he came by to complain that I wasn't maintaining the foliage that butts up against his fence - basically, raspberry bushes.
I pointed out that not only would I have been trespassing, but that I preferred that the raspberries be allowed to grow wild along the entire property line, as they provide a nice barrier and food source for the local animals.
His response? "Well, it's still your job to maintain them on your side of the fence." Either he had no idea where the property line was ( possible, considering how much of his own land he had effectively cut off ), or he considered maintenance of his property to be a community effort. ;-)
- Rich

I can see your point. When new neighbours moved in and the first thing they did was knock on the door and ask us to remove our cedar hedge I basically did the same thing. Mind you eventually we did remove it to make our property look larger when we sold.
MoM
The problem is that the neighbors don't see it. They have a fence built up to the side of the shed, and the shed makes up for the rest of the fence.
They cannot even see the back of the shed unless they come into my back yard. In fact, the overhang of the roof is on my property line, but that does not bother me.
Seems to me they should be the one cleaning up their property, but I know what you mean.
Corinne
Eigenvector wrote:

That was a pretty critical piece of information to leave out until now, dont'cha think? You could have saved some spinning wheels if you had said this in the first place.
If it's a shared fence, you have every right to paint your side. Since the back of the shed is de facto part of your side of the fence, you have the right to paint it.
yeah its a fence do as you want. i would still ask first perhaps take a photo since they cant see it from their side. neighbor hassles are best avoided