Neighbor problem

Page 3 of 4
Tom Miller wrote:

I think he's conceding the point, but arguing against the wall anyway.
YMMV. :)

??? The OP already staed clearly that zoning prohibits a fence of any kind.
BB

Paint political slogans on it, like "Zoning sucks!" and tell them they're infringing on your 1st amendment rights.
Get a can of fluorescent orange paint. Mark the boundary. Keep it up. It won't hurt the grass. He'll eventually catch on.
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:59:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

That should work and a good idea. See if he stays off the line. Remember you are trying to break someone's habit--sometimes not an easy thing to do!
The hedge seems to be the best idea. You can tell your neighbor you plan on installing a hedge to help define the property line. Be sure you plant the hedge inside your property and not on the line (unless your neighbor agrees). But, I would not mention the hedge to the neighbor unless you really plan to do it if he does not comply.
Be sure to be extra friendly to your neighbor. Offer cookies, a beer, or invite him over for lunch to make sure there are no hard feelings. Having good neighbors is a big plus, even if you need to be a little tolerant at times.
Phisherman wrote:

I agree. Make the decision sound as if it has nothing to do with your underlying property line complaint since that just ups the emotion. Just say you want a hedge on the edge of your yard. I would definitely mention it to him but just in terms of a courtesy thing and make sure you mention that you will be sure to put it inside the property line. In this way you are not being an ogre, and the guy really can't even complain and you are essentially resolving the property line dispute with th hedge. You can even mention that the hedge was the reason you had the property line marked. Darn, it works out well...Plus you'll give yourself a little privacy....

Unless he agrees? Why look for more trouble. Here you have an unreasonable neighbor trespassing after being told not to, so why in the world would you tell someone to even consider planting a hedge to be shared with the neighbor?
But, I would not mention the hedge to the

@optonline.net says...

The neighbour was NOT told not to trespass. The neighbour was asked to raise his mower when he came on to the property.
I think the first step, before anything else, is to speak to the neighbour and CLEARLY specify what is wanted - that the neighbour NOT mow the lawn past the property line. All the other suggestions (hedge, lawyer's letter, minefield, whatever) should come after this basic first step. No sense assuming that the neighbour won't be reasonable until they've been asked, in a clear and concise manner, to abide by the property line.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

I've considered this (have one set of unfriendly neighbors), but then I would need to leave space to go over and trim the hedge - no? Then I'd have to maintain that....
Banty
Banty wrote:

The OP has stated that he is not allowed to build a fence. How about a stone wall a foot or two high? Or even cheaper, how about a single line of rectangular concrete paving stones running along the property line with the tops flush with the ground? Kinda like a very narrow walkway. Since the stones will prevent grass growing at the line, there would be no need for the neighbor to mow beyond the stones and would provide a visual line of demarcation.
Banty wrote:

You could put the hedge in a mulched bed that borders the property, but allows you room at the edge of the bed to maintain the hedge and renew the mulch periodically.
Or you could plant something that grows slowly, tall and narrow, like arbor vitae, which needs no pruning.
FurPaw
--
"In a sense, we are hallucinating all the time.
What we call normal vision is our selecting the
Rod wrote:

The more I think about it the more I think you should be more forceful. I know a lot of people have suggest letting it ride, but it is your property and your right to control. You don't need to be nasty, but a letter, reminding him that you have asked him and explaining that you don't want him to mow your yard is not going too far. I would include an offer to go over the survey with him so he knows where the boundary is and offer to mediate if he disagrees with the survey.
You might also want to try some on the ideas I already suggested. I would consider a certified letter to help get his attention.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I would either ignore the situation or plant a hedge. I'd prefer not "making waves" with neighbors.
On the paper the boundaries are not fuzzy of course, but on the ground things might be different. On one side of our property, our sprinklers and our neighbor's sprinklers straddle the boundary; i.e., some of our sprinklers are closer to his house, while some of his sprinklers are closer to our house.
We and our neighbors on both sides are occasionally mowing each other's grass.
And then there is our shed (built by a previous owner), which, according to the survey, has a corner intruding six inches into the property of the neighbor at the back, so I am probably mowing some of his grass when I mow around the back of the shed. I have no idea whether he knows about the wrongly positioned shed, and I am not going to ask him.
We and our neighbors on both sides all moved in within months of each other. So far there has not been a problem.
MB
On 09/14/04 09:22 pm Phisherman put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

You have heard of adverse possession, haven't you? The laws vary from state to state, but basicly, if someone does what this neighbor is doing and it meets certain conditions, like it's open, notorious, hostile, (sounds to me like he's met those criteria) done for a long enough time, etc., then that person can have a legal claim to the property. At the very least, if he wants to allow it to continue, then he should get a legal opinion. But if it were me, I see nothing wrong with standing up for my rights and keeping someone else off property I own.
Chet Hayes wrote:

Adverse possesion can occur, but I have never heard of it being applied in a sub-division with suburban sized lots. Such lots are relatively small and easily defined. It would be impractical and almost impossible for someone to grab 5 feet here and 10 feet there from such a lot. Adverse possesion occurs in rural and sometimes industrially zoned areas almost entirely. If someone is using a piece of another's land for a long enough time with the real owner making no attept to enforce his rights then occasionally that used portion of the land can become the possesion of the person using it. This does not happen in suburban lots even if some guy mows his neighbor's lawn for 50 years.....

of
yrs
mow
with
one
they
keeping my

center
less
mowing
other
said he

"just
couple
had the

is one

set in

the
my
places,
rear
ft
the back

from
Blow a hit of pot smoke in his face and just hope for civil war so you can legally kill the goddaMNED BASTARD. This is a squatters technique that the government aides in using against people who do not fit to the dictations of the tyrants who rule the police states. I had a neighbor that put a driveway on my property. I complained to the government and they hit me with a baseball bat. But I cannot do anything about it because George Bush and the secret service already kidnapped me, drugged me and planted a microchip in my back. My family started the us military and the solution Grandpa Bomb had with George Washington to blow the hell out of them and send them back to Britian.
Fuck em in their christian jew cop asses.
Rod wrote:

"NO TRESSPASSING" sign. $3.00.

Rest
30