Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (not grout)

Page 1 of 6
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?
On 5/29/2013 11:05 AM, Danny D wrote:

maybe. probably. you might use a brass brush to remove it, or a plastic tool of some sort. i wouldn't use that metal screwdriver, as if you scar up the underlying grout, it'll look worse, and you'll then be asking how to remove grout so you can do a regrout job (which i don't look forward to because it'll be another 500 post thread).

Grout comes in all kinds of colors. Looks like black grout to me.
Ever consider that you might be at least a little OCD?
--
Dan Espen

On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:52:04 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

What's confusing is that the black stuff is soft, and grout, I would think, would be rock hard - yet - I would also think that a countertop should be smooth and not have crevices for crud to inevitably get trapped in.
Do any of you have a similar countertop?
Is yours smooth across the edges of the blocks? (I'm not sure what material it's made of. Granite?)
I'll also look at a countertop store; but they'll only have new stuff, and not stuff that has been in use for years.

Who me? :)
On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:17:10 PM UTC-6, Danny D wrote:

Check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder
Can't hurt...MUCH.
On Wed, 29 May 2013 12:18:44 -0700, Roy wrote:

"Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions."
On Wed, 29 May 2013 12:18:44 -0700, Roy wrote:

"Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions."
Can't be me because I don't have an exaggerated sense of responsibility!

OCD comes in mild, hardly noticeable all the way to can't go outside debilitating.
If you think you might have some of the symptoms (and from here you seem like you might), the best thing to do, is learn to listen to your wife when she tells you to worry about something else.
Meanwhile, if you can avoid annoying others, you can use it to your advantage. Sounds to me like you're getting lots of things accomplished.
Go tell your wife thanks.
--
Dan Espen

On Wed, 29 May 2013 15:38:29 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Actually, she just wants me out of her hair. She was used to me being at work all day, every day, and now I'm home all day driving her crazy.
Little does she know I cleaned her countertops this morning: :)

< Regarding OCD >
While I have a great attention to detail, and, I have trouble making decisions when I don't have enough data, I'm actually not OCD (I was just joking). I'm not afraid of germs, snakes, spiders, poison oak, ticks, etc., even though I'm exposed to all of them every day, all day.
I do have a great attention to detail, and, well, I do ask questions of everything, in that I love to learn, and to teach. But you'll notice that I snap pictures for you guys, so you don't waste your time guessing at the situation (plus smart guys like Oren tell me stuff that I didn't even think about, just from looking at the pictures). I've been on USENET for decades, and I know how bad some posts can be (lack of detail, lack of response, etc.).
I'm all about detail. Getting the numbers exact.
I despise, for example, automotive shop manuals, which have almost no attention to detail. I have them all, but I prefer a DIY video to what they have in the shop manual. I read the booklet that comes with an ice-cream maker, and I ascertain *why* each warning is there. I figure out the dimensions of my replacement pool pump o-rings, so that I can order them in bulk, and always have them on hand. I ask how best to move brush, even though I can move it by hand, hoping there's a better way than the primitive method.
That's not OCD; that's just a desire to learn, to improve, and the ability to think about what is being done. It's what distinguishes humans from dogs. :)

Let me guess. You are "retired" on disability.
On Thu, 30 May 2013 14:30:57 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

I wish! I would be happy with just a pension. Or, a 401K worth what I put in it.
Think about it. If I were disabled, I couldn't do all the stuff I do to maintain the house without it falling off the hillside, sliding on wheels on the way down!
Besides, IMHO, 99% of people on disability are faking it, (just like all those fakes with handicap parking stickers as they pull the golf bags out of the trunk).
Of course, I don't know personally of a single person on disability, so I get my statistics from the Long Island Railroad and the Justice Department:
http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pressreleases/March13/SatinSentencingPR.php http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2013/twenty-third-defendant-pleads-guilty-in-long-island-railroad-disability-fraud-scheme

No way.
I know a few people that really are disabled and collect. I also know people that are disabled and unable to navigate the bureaucracy and should collect but don't.
A parking ticket a while back had me in a court seeing some of our citizens on disability. Sad cases, possibly physically fit but completely unable to control themselves enough to stay employed. I don't know what we can do about them, but they are disabled by any reasonable definition of the term.
One guy was a vet that had lost his grip on reality.
Anyway, I have no idea what the percentage is, but 99% is nuts. If it were that easy, the periodic audits would show the problem and the government would scale up investigations and clean up the problem.
I've been in a position to retire for quite a few years now. I'm going to keep going until I can't do it anymore.
--
Dan Espen

On Thu, 30 May 2013 14:06:17 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

It might be nuts for *some* industries; but read this quote from the New York Times regarding the Long Island Railroad:
"Virtually every career employee — as many as 97 percent in one recent year — applies for and gets disability payments soon after retirement,".
REFERENCE: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/nyregion/21lirr.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

That's 2008. The article mentions an investigation. Here's one from 2012:
http://tinyurl.com/la8vfjo
where some of them are caught.
--
Dan Espen

On Thu, 30 May 2013 21:33:17 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Let's hope that this 97% number does not span industries ... otherwise we're doomed.

The article is pretty clear isn't it?
It's the LIRR. (Long Island Rail Road.) Rode it many times, BTW.
There's nothing there to suggest the problem goes beyond the LIRR, in fact they cited other rail roads with much lower rates as evidence something was wrong.
No need to invoke the doom monster.
--
Dan Espen

On Thu, 30 May 2013 23:25:51 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I know. Personally, I suspect 90% or so of disability claims are bogus, but I have no facts to back that up.
All I know is that I worked with broken legs, and I never took a day of disability in my life.
I can see if you're in a horrible car accident, with brain damage, etc., or you're paralyzed, but, from my somewhat naive experience with people, they're (mostly) faking it.
Again, I have no data (well, I *do* have the LIRR data, but we must assume that almost 100% disability figure is an anomaly).
I *do* watch everyone who parks in the handicap spots though, and I probably see 2% to 5% of them actually disabled, although I fully realize they may simply be violating the spirit of the agreement when other people use the plates who aren't the officially disabled person.
For someone to suggest I'm on disability defies reason.

Aargh! People like you make my blood boil! There are plenty of disabilities that aren't obvious. Some people have a heart problem or something like that which means that they can't walk very far or very fast. People don't have to *look* disabled to be so.
There are also mental illnesses that render people disabled. Those people wouldn't likely need the handicapped parking spot unless there are other issues there. I do know of several people who fall into this category. Their minds just don't work in such a way that allow them to do a job on a consistent basis.

Broken legs heal. That's not a disability.

Anecdotes are not data. When you have a disabled person in the family you can get disabled plates. You don't need to have a disabled person in the car to use the plates.

Yep.
Despite DD's other attempts to find out how things work, in this case he just want's to believe the worst about people he doesn't know.
Makes me wonder why despite his quirks, I've been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
--
Dan Espen

On Fri, 31 May 2013 09:20:49 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Agreed.
However, when I went to DMV, they said I could move to the front of the line simply because I was on crutches. I refused, saying I could wait in line just as long as anyone else, as it was only fair to the people ahead of me.

I agreed with that and was very clear that my only statistics (since I haven't researched the subject) are that almost 100% of the retirees from a certain railroad for a certain year were (and many still are) obtaining disability benefits.
I have (and said I had) very little experience with disabled people, perhaps because my profession wasn't one which required anything more than a working brain and fingers that can type.

I don't disagree one bit.
I had stated that, in other words; so I fully agree with you.
Plus, not all disabilities are overtly visible.
In addition, the drivers can be picking up disabled people who are not yet in the vehicle, and for that, it's helpful to have a convenient parking spot.
I just think there is fraud & corruption in government, and the LIRR statistics show me that, in some instances, it's immense; so for someone to intimate that I'm fraudulently retired on disability is to cause an affront to my very soul.
I apologize for reacting to that comment; it was in a moment of weakness where I felt I needed to defend myself. Mea culpa.