Need Roof

Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives me an estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square / 20 or 25 year shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very straight forward of an install.

Reply to
unix-freak

"You need a new roof".

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Is it a walkable roof? I also have a cape cod and have been shocked at the roofing estimates I've gotten lately. $2.25-$2.75 a square foot due to the pitch. That price incluses tear-off, all materials and labor and clean up in south Jersey.

Reply to
Kathy

You want to hear more than one estimate and you want to hear from prior customers, Ideally you want to hear from neighbors or friends that have used the same roofers.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Ideally, a friend or neighbor who used a roofer who has been in business for a few years AND who had a minor problem addressed promptly and appropriately. As I have been told, callbacks are commonplace and minor fixes needed quite often. How those are addressed is good insight.

Hubby and I are experienced DIY'ers. He knows plumbing, electricity, etc. I know the easy stuff. We have found, each time we contracted work, that we were miles ahead by studying how the work can be done, the product, the options for installation, the issues of improper installation. Even with great contractors we have been fortunate to find, we have headed off potentially major problems by addessing issues while the work was being done. One example was the corner fit on new counter tops. It was a tough part of the work, and didn't want to go in flat and even until we intervened. I had rented a house with the same problem, near a kitchen sink, and water would collect on the seam and eventually damaged the particle board and caused it to expand. Our floor tile installation was superb - looks like original. There were issues with it, as well, that a good contractor knew how to manage with skill.

At minimum, study the product(s) and installation instructions and then be observant while the work is being done. Also, check contractor's license history, product reviews, release of lien, payment schedule. Many mfgs. have certification for contractors; that would seem to be a positive and involve more support for the product, but I have no experience with roofers in that matter. Had similar situation with condo paint contractor, and paint company was out to check on the prep as part of the warranty process.

I ask a lot of questions, but try to stay out of the way and not TELL anyone how to do their job :o)

Reply to
Norminn

First is the question of whether the prior roof(s) will be torn off. Many seem to think you can put a new layer over two or even three prior layers. My feeling is that any old roofing should be removed, so they can tell if any of the sheathing needs repair. This removal costs more and is messy, but I would demand it.

Second is evaluation of the venting. Many homes have been built without adequate venting, and reroofing is a good time to remediate that.

Finally (the one for which I was not prepared), what color and type of shingle will you want. Some people want what I think are called architectural shingles, which produce a less smooth surface, and some people want different colors. You could probably visit a roofing supply house to get an idea of what is available; that way you will be ready when the estimator asks.

Also, if you are > Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives me an

Reply to
William Brown

I almost forgot- price includes replacing up to 10 sheets of plywood. Over that will be $45. a sheet to replace.

Reply to
Kathy

Now, that's two different things. What I'd expect a roofer to say, and what is polite to write on a public forum. I'm not going to be able to help you, here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Kathy" wrote

In my area near Lake Erie, $225 per square ($2.25 sq ft) for a single layer tear-off with a 25 yr 3 tab plus all the trimmings is virtually unheard of. That's cheap, probably too cheap, I don't think you would get a licensed contractor in this area. Nevermind throwing in 10 sheets plywood, regardless if 3/8",1/2", or 5/8". I don't see how any reputable company would stay in business.

Exactly what are you getting for that price?

Reply to
johnny

Reply to
unix-freak

We pay a lot for roofing jobs in western New York; my 23 square roof with tearoff of 3 previous layers, 35 yr. architectural shingles, new decking, ice/water shield, ridge vent, lots of elevations (several dormers and porch roofs, which means lots of flashing and some waste), and cleanup cost me about $11,500. But the two guys who did the job also hand nailed each shingle tab as well as power nailed alternately, not something you can be sure to get from the lower priced outfits, but something that definitely holds up better over time. Plus the house is very tall, with the roofline at least 25 feet off the ground.

Reply to
KLS

I'm planning to demolish an old house. I can save you a lot of money. I'll sell you the entire roof, shingles, boards, framing, and even include the brick chimney if you want it. You can have the entire roof for $2000. You must remove it yourself. Not only will this save you money, but will also save time. Just load it on a trailer, haul it home, and get all your buddies to come over to lift it up on top of your house. Once it's up there. put a few nails in it, caulk around the edges and and your all set to go. Just put it right over your old roof. I suggest you take the chimney from my house, and leave it attached to the roof. If your chimney is in a different place, just use the chimney from my roof and run some flex pipe from your old chimney to mine. As a bonus, I will include all the rain gutters and plumbing vents. If the vents are different, so the same thing as the chimney. Flex pipes do wonders. The shingles are still in good condition so you wont have to do any extra work. This sure beats having to rip off all the old shingles and then apply new ones one at a time.

Reply to
orgasmickey

money.

That's funny! I needed a good laugh this morning. You must remove it yourself. Not only will this save

ha ha ha! rotfl .....I can load up Home Depot shingles quicker....not to mention just have it delivered.

I could just see my family's look as I pull into the driveway with a used chimney and a bunch of torn shingles.... :)

Thanks for the laugh!

forward

shocked

Reply to