Need opinions, Carrier vs Rheem (4-ton, 12SEER unit)

Page 3 of 3
Final question:
if this were you, which system would you go with? if money was a little tight, but you wanted to be in the house for 5 years or more, what would you do?
again, in your mind, do you think the better components, higher SEER, and the air cleaner, is worht the extra $900??
alt.home.repair wrote:

The internal components aren't significantly different between the XR12 and the XL14i condensers, and the variable speed air handlers are going to be the same.
If money is tight now and you expect to have more money later, then go with the lower initial cost XR12. If you expect money to continue to be tight for a long time, then go with the XL14i and take advantage of the higher SEER over the long run..
Remember that in the end what I think doesn't matter, it is YOUR system.
Travis Jordan wrote:

P.S. My math says the difference in price is $705 on an apples-to-apples basis (same warranty).

I prefer LT-10-10.....LT= Lifetime and no, I damn sure dont mean Goodman crap.
alt.home.repair wrote:

How much more is the XL14i in R22?
alt.home.repair wrote:

The quality of the installation is much more important that the brand of equipment.
Which of the contractors performed a heat gain calculation to tell you what size A/C you needed?
the guy is one of the few "5 Star rated" authorized Carrier installers in south florida.....whatever that means.
he seemed pretty profesional, but you never know. I said to replace it with a similar unit, and he recommended I go up to 12 SEER instead of 10 SEER which is what I have.
also, should I go with the 13 SEER because of them stopping production of 12SEER as the poster above said? perhaps prices will drop given that, so I dont know....
alt.home.repair wrote:

If you belive what you read in the various newsgroups, not much.

Here in Florida I'd suggest 13.0 SEER system with a variable speed air handler. The payback period is too long for anything above this.
PLEASE have your contractor do a "Manual J" or equivalent heat gain calculation before you specify the size of the system. Most systems are oversized.
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/ACsize/index.htm
Travis Jordan wrote:

I should also have said that in my personal experience the Trane XR12 (in R22) paired with Trane's VS air handler makes for a great system. The Trane spine fin coils are much less prone to corrosion in our salt air laden atmosphere than are the other manufacturers. Check cabinet construction, too. I've noticed that many of the new Carrier systems that are installed here on the west coast are rusting out after only seven or eight years!

I hope he is changing the coil inside too. I'm guessing that if he isn't, you aren't going to get 12 SEER out of a 12 SEER unit......