Need opinions, Carrier vs Rheem (4-ton, 12SEER unit)

Page 1 of 3
guys,
my A/C went bad and I need to replace it....currently it is a 10SEER, 4-ton, Rheem unit (10 years old). I've narrowed it down to:
$2990 for a Carrier, 12SEER $2690 for a Rheem, 12SEER
most places I called have the Rheem at $2999, and the Carrier at $3400, but this one installer got me a Carrier at the same price as most people install Rheems. I have a couple of question:
1. Is Carrier that much better than Rheem? (most dealers says so, but reading this forum says otherwise)
2. Should I buy the Carrier for the same price as most Rheems, or should I save the $300 and go Rheem?
3. Is it worth it to pay the extra $$ to go to a 13.5 SEER?
I gotta make a decision by monday....thanks in advance!!
I can tell you that my neighbor installed a top-of-the-line Carrier last year and has problems, not with the actual unit, but with the installation. It was not done properly and there has been many problems with his AC. The installer was an authorized Carrier dealer; cost over $9000. My neighbor is still having problems.
So it was basically the installers fault. However, the Carrier Corp. has refused to intervene and assist the customer. IMHO, a corporation that doesn't stand behind its products, especially a high cost item such as this, is not worth doing business with.
Also keep in mind that after December 2005, units less that 13 SEER will not be manufactured and the cost will rise for these units.
guys,
my A/C went bad and I need to replace it....currently it is a 10SEER, 4-ton, Rheem unit (10 years old). I've narrowed it down to:
$2990 for a Carrier, 12SEER $2690 for a Rheem, 12SEER
most places I called have the Rheem at $2999, and the Carrier at $3400, but this one installer got me a Carrier at the same price as most people install Rheems. I have a couple of question:
1. Is Carrier that much better than Rheem? (most dealers says so, but reading this forum says otherwise)
2. Should I buy the Carrier for the same price as most Rheems, or should I save the $300 and go Rheem?
3. Is it worth it to pay the extra $$ to go to a 13.5 SEER?
I gotta make a decision by monday....thanks in advance!!
stevie wrote:

You are speculating that the price will rise for 13 SEER units.
I'm speculating that the price will decrease because of increased competition for entry level systems.

And that includes a matching evap coil on the inside too??? IF not, you are getting a royal scewing.

Nope...ALL are junk till the installers install them correctly.

I think all those prices you gave for that equipment is too much installed...period.

Why? For those prices they can install you a 14SEER.

Its your money.
The price is for the entire system, the handler inside and the compressor unit outside....
I've called at least 15 different A/C places in south Florida, and all of those are in the same price range ($2999 being the lowest I've found....some as much as $4000) for a 4-ton, 12SEER unit.
if this is too much, do any of you know of anyone here that may have a better deal? I've called a buncha folks, from RHeem/Ruud installers, to Carrier, To Goodman, to Trane....same story on all.

O.K.
Well, like others have said, go with a good installer. Also (not sure who else mentioned it) I would go with at least a 13 SEER and get a variable speed air handler. Trust me. They are nice!
I did a google search, so this site has nothing to do with me, but at least it tells a little about it (plus it's the model I have):
http://tinyurl.com/bm6u5
Guys,
how about Trane? I just went to Home Depot this morning, and a Trane consultant said they will come out to the house tomorrow to gimme an estimate.....I don't much about Trane and their parts....I know Travis Jordan mentioned that Trane units are pretty good and recommended one......any opinions?
thanks again....
One more thing I forgot to ask......is it important that I consider the new "sufron" type units, or stick with the Frion type units of past? Carrier guy said the Sufron units are better, but more $
alt.home.repair wrote:

If it was a Carrier guy he probably said "Puron", not "Sufron". Puron is Carrier's trade name for R410a refrigerant. Freon is Dupont's trade name for R22 refrigerant. Either one will work OK, R22 has been around the longest but is being phased out because of EPA restrictions on chlorine-based refrigerants.
Personally, I'd stick with R22 for now due to it's lower operating pressures and longer track record.

Slight correction....Freon, WAS DuPonts trade name for R12. Now, it is used on EVERY refrigerant they offer...including 410a....

Well, I will stay away from home depot....good point. I will call a couple of local guys and ask for Trane quotes.
I feel wierd because you guys have mentioned the prices are a little high, but everyone I've called has had the same price range...perhaps they've gotten together and cornered the market with similar prices.
Have I told you how much I think this is a bad way of making business....I can see they are making a KILLING of these AC units. :-(
Carolina Breeze HVAC wrote:

A slight correction to your correction... Freon is DuPont's tradename for hydrochlorofluorocarbon based refrigerants.
Suva is their tradename for

Take a look at the pink jug there....sure..its got SUVA on it, but its also got the word Freon on it... Both right..both wrong..no matter, its there.

Travis Jordan wrote:

Steve, Freon is DuPont's trade name for ALL their old refrigerants. Their new refrigerants are SUVA.
Stretch

And Gentrons the name for Honeywells.... Thats not the point he was making and Freon, WAS at one time, the registered trade name for R12...but probably before your time.
Point I was making, that on the pallet of 410a we have in the warehouse, Freon IS used on the boxes... Of course, its also on every box of DuPont brand refrigerant we have.

alt.home.repair wrote:

Also get estimates from your local Trane dealers....they may be cheaper than going through HD.
Travis Jordan wrote:

And also see if you have American Standard dealers where you live. AS is the parent company of Trane and they make the same equipment as Trane in different cabinets. Depending on the dealer's volume you will find that in some places AS equipment is cheaper than Trane, in others it will be more expensive.
Thanks Travis....yes, that's what I meant...Puron. So I guess either should be fine, correct?
ok, well tomorrow I will call around some of the trane installers and see what they offer.; I'll also check out american standard.
I guess it will boil down to carrier or trane for $3k, or rheem for 2.6K for a 12SEER system....or 3.4k for a 13.5 SEER system.
I have had a Trane unit since 1989 and it still runs good.
I was thinking about upgrading to a newer, higher efficiency unit, but my Trane dealer said just use the old one until it dies.
He did mention that the newer refrigerant is more prone to leaks, both on Carrier and Trane.
I clean my outdoor unit once a year with water hose. Trane dealer said many outdoor units require some disassembly in order to clean them. Not so with Trane, they have a coating that just requires hosing them off. I'm talking about the fins just inside the units.