Need opinions, Carrier vs Rheem (4-ton, 12SEER unit)

guys,

my A/C went bad and I need to replace it....currently it is a 10SEER,

4-ton, Rheem unit (10 years old). I've narrowed it down to:

$2990 for a Carrier, 12SEER $2690 for a Rheem, 12SEER

most places I called have the Rheem at $2999, and the Carrier at $3400, but this one installer got me a Carrier at the same price as most people install Rheems. I have a couple of question:

  1. Is Carrier that much better than Rheem? (most dealers says so, but reading this forum says otherwise)

  1. Should I buy the Carrier for the same price as most Rheems, or should I save the 0 and go Rheem?

  2. Is it worth it to pay the extra $$ to go to a 13.5 SEER?

I gotta make a decision by monday....thanks in advance!!

Reply to
alt.home.repair

the guy is one of the few "5 Star rated" authorized Carrier installers in south florida.....whatever that means.

he seemed pretty profesional, but you never know. I said to replace it with a similar unit, and he recommended I go up to 12 SEER instead of

10 SEER which is what I have.

also, should I go with the 13 SEER because of them stopping production of 12SEER as the poster above said? perhaps prices will drop given that, so I dont know....

Reply to
alt.home.repair

I can tell you that my neighbor installed a top-of-the-line Carrier last year and has problems, not with the actual unit, but with the installation. It was not done properly and there has been many problems with his AC. The installer was an authorized Carrier dealer; cost over $9000. My neighbor is still having problems.

So it was basically the installers fault. However, the Carrier Corp. has refused to intervene and assist the customer. IMHO, a corporation that doesn't stand behind its products, especially a high cost item such as this, is not worth doing business with.

my A/C went bad and I need to replace it....currently it is a 10SEER,

4-ton, Rheem unit (10 years old). I've narrowed it down to:

$2990 for a Carrier, 12SEER $2690 for a Rheem, 12SEER

most places I called have the Rheem at $2999, and the Carrier at $3400, but this one installer got me a Carrier at the same price as most people install Rheems. I have a couple of question:

  1. Is Carrier that much better than Rheem? (most dealers says so, but reading this forum says otherwise)

  1. Should I buy the Carrier for the same price as most Rheems, or should I save the 0 and go Rheem?

  2. Is it worth it to pay the extra $$ to go to a 13.5 SEER?

I gotta make a decision by monday....thanks in advance!!

Reply to
stevie

The price is for the entire system, the handler inside and the compressor unit outside....

I've called at least 15 different A/C places in south Florida, and all of those are in the same price range ($2999 being the lowest I've found....some as much as $4000) for a 4-ton, 12SEER unit.

if this is too much, do any of you know of anyone here that may have a better deal? I've called a buncha folks, from RHeem/Ruud installers, to Carrier, To Goodman, to Trane....same story on all.

Reply to
alt.home.repair

And that includes a matching evap coil on the inside too??? IF not, you are getting a royal scewing.

Nope...ALL are junk till the installers install them correctly.

I think all those prices you gave for that equipment is too much installed...period.

Why? For those prices they can install you a 14SEER.

Its your money.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

The quality of the installation is much more important that the brand of equipment.

Which of the contractors performed a heat gain calculation to tell you what size A/C you needed?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

You are speculating that the price will rise for 13 SEER units.

I'm speculating that the price will decrease because of increased competition for entry level systems.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

If you belive what you read in the various newsgroups, not much.

Here in Florida I'd suggest 13.0 SEER system with a variable speed air handler. The payback period is too long for anything above this.

PLEASE have your contractor do a "Manual J" or equivalent heat gain calculation before you specify the size of the system. Most systems are oversized.

Travis Jordan

I should also have said that in my personal experience the Trane XR12 (in R22) paired with Trane's VS air handler makes for a great system. The Trane spine fin coils are much less prone to corrosion in our salt air laden atmosphere than are the other manufacturers. Check cabinet construction, too. I've noticed that many of the new Carrier systems that are installed here on the west coast are rusting out after only seven or eight years!

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I hope he is changing the coil inside too. I'm guessing that if he isn't, you aren't going to get 12 SEER out of a 12 SEER unit......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

O.K.

Well, like others have said, go with a good installer. Also (not sure who else mentioned it) I would go with at least a 13 SEER and get a variable speed air handler. Trust me. They are nice!

I did a google search, so this site has nothing to do with me, but at least it tells a little about it (plus it's the model I have):

Dr. Hardcrab

Guys,

how about Trane? I just went to Home Depot this morning, and a Trane consultant said they will come out to the house tomorrow to gimme an estimate.....I don't much about Trane and their parts....I know Travis Jordan mentioned that Trane units are pretty good and recommended one......any opinions?

thanks again....

Reply to
alt.home.repair

One more thing I forgot to ask......is it important that I consider the new "sufron" type units, or stick with the Frion type units of past? Carrier guy said the Sufron units are better, but more $

Reply to
alt.home.repair

Thanks Travis....yes, that's what I meant...Puron. So I guess either should be fine, correct?

ok, well tomorrow I will call around some of the trane installers and see what they offer.; I'll also check out american standard.

I guess it will boil down to carrier or trane for $3k, or rheem for

2.6K for a 12SEER system....or 3.4k for a 13.5 SEER system.
Reply to
alt.home.repair

I have had a Trane unit since 1989 and it still runs good.

I was thinking about upgrading to a newer, higher efficiency unit, but my Trane dealer said just use the old one until it dies.

He did mention that the newer refrigerant is more prone to leaks, both on Carrier and Trane.

ok, well tomorrow I will call around some of the trane installers and see what they offer.; I'll also check out american standard.

I guess it will boil down to carrier or trane for $3k, or rheem for

2.6K for a 12SEER system....or 3.4k for a 13.5 SEER system.
Reply to
stevie

If it was a Carrier guy he probably said "Puron", not "Sufron". Puron is Carrier's trade name for R410a refrigerant. Freon is Dupont's trade name for R22 refrigerant. Either one will work OK, R22 has been around the longest but is being phased out because of EPA restrictions on chlorine-based refrigerants.

Personally, I'd stick with R22 for now due to it's lower operating pressures and longer track record.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Also get estimates from your local Trane dealers....they may be cheaper than going through HD.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

And also see if you have American Standard dealers where you live. AS is the parent company of Trane and they make the same equipment as Trane in different cabinets. Depending on the dealer's volume you will find that in some places AS equipment is cheaper than Trane, in others it will be more expensive.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Also, get a QUOTE and not an "estimate"......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Well, I will stay away from home depot....good point. I will call a couple of local guys and ask for Trane quotes.

I feel wierd because you guys have mentioned the prices are a little high, but everyone I've called has had the same price range...perhaps they've gotten together and cornered the market with similar prices.

Have I told you how much I think this is a bad way of making business....I can see they are making a KILLING of these AC units. :-(

Reply to
alt.home.repair