Need new Circular Saw, worm drive?

I'm going to move my older Milwaukee circular saw to the panel saw area and need a new hand held saw.
Always has a 'lust' for the Skil 77HD (steel shoe) and see that they have a Mag version. Bosch also has a very well made work drive too.
These are the only companies whose worm drive saws I'm interested in.
Which one do you recommend and why?
It's a toss up for me between the Bosch and the Skil 77HD.
Climb14er wrote: ...

Skil Mag.
Because it's what _I_ have, of course! :)
Actually, I have both steel and mag versions--the steel is probably at least 40 by now, it was inherited. I bought a mag probably 20 yr ago and like the lighter heft. Can't put out anything against the Bosch, just no reason to change.
look closely and you'll see that the bosch's body (no doubt the inards too) are the same as the skil. (doesn't bosch own skil?) it's got a little fancier handle, and the bosch i've used had the cordless system (extension cord plugs straight to the saw). don't think the bosch is worth the extra money, and i definitely don't like the cordless design--you can't lower it by the cord when you are up on a ladder!. so i prefer the skil.
dpb wrote:

Yes, years ago when I was framing my way through college, I used the Skil HD worm drive and we used to lower it down the latter via the cord.
Now, there's a 'new' option where you have a removeable handle for fifty bucks more. I like this in my Milwaukee as it packs better in the steel case.
I tried the Skil 77Mag and while it was a little lighter, I felt the torque of the motor especially when starting it up.
This and the base that's steel is what's leaning me to the Skill 77HD.
and i definitely don't like the cordless

Climb14er wrote:

I own the Skil and can reccomend it without hesitation. If you check customer comments on Amazon: (Amazon.com product link shortened)61898988/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0296562-6649746?ie=UTF8&s=hi
You will see many positive comments.
Climb14er wrote:

You migh want o post this over in rec.woodworking....you'll get lots of response, and a lot of fun reading the paens of praise fr one brand over another....those folks can get a bit intense, but are very entertainng...
You better get one fast. They are now making the Skil 77 in China.