Need metal grating

I need a metal grating for a drain cover in my driveway.
You know the big exhaust grates that you see in sidewalks?...I need a section of that. Nothing at Home Depot or Lowes. I hate to try a metal fabricator (price), because this seems like something that's probably made in bulk. Any ideas?
Mike
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Mike_
How big? round or square?
www.mcmaster.com
search for:
drain grate
thye've got plastic, cast iron & stianless
OR
"bar grating"
cheers Bob
Without measuring it (it's raining right now) I'd say it's about 10" x 20", rectangular, and the bars are about 3/4" deep. It's a storm drain, because my driveway is sloped toward the house. If I got a bigger piece I'd have no problem cutting it to size.
Cast iron would work, but I'd really like the galvanized or stainless ones I've seen in sidewalks.
The rectangular bar grating on McNichols website looks about right.
Wouldn't this be a commonly used product in my medium-sized city?
Mike
Look in your yellow pages under steel. Yes, it should be readily available, though probably not at Home Depot, etc. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Where does it drain to? Is it on the city / county right of way? If so, I suggest you call them and have them fix it.

Check www.mcmastercarr.com www.mcnichols.com (I just tried this site per the web address on the paper catalog but it does not resolve. Try 1-800-237-3820 if the website dosen't come back up, they have exactly what you want and will cut to order on some products). FIberglass grating is available and may be easier for you to work with.
Are you talking about a cast iron grate? These are usually very subject to brand and different brands make different sizes and probably won't interchange. This would also be true for any type of plastic grate. Without a brand, this becomes quite difficult. One of the major commercial suppliers is: http://www.nfco.com /
You never indicated size of the hole. You might be able to create what you need by using bar grating, sometimes called "cat walk" grating. A local steel supply house will be your source. Here is a catalogue of this type material: http://www.mcnichols.com/products/grating/bar / ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Locally, I'd buy it at my architectural salvage supplier. The last time I was down there buying a truckload of antique bricks for repairs I noticed that they had quite a selection of heavy galvanized steel grating of the sort you describe. Of course YMMV but I suspect that many of these salvage operations would have similar stock.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
John McGaw wrote:

Excellent idea. I completely forgot about that place. And it's only a couple miles away.
Mike
In pittsburgh I bought some a couple years ago for a grate over a window well.
Glenshaw steel had it in big sheets and cut it to size. try a steel supoplier in your area. call around some DONT want to deal with small sales

Also try the local fire escape and industrial catwalk company. They will have new, and also likely have scraps and ripout material sitting in their yard that could maybe be trimmed to fit. Worst case scenario, local welding shop could buzz it up in a day, for one that small. Unless it was stainless or cast, I'd have it galvanized or otherwise coated, so it would last more than a couple of years.
aem sends...
Another good idea. Thanks.
Mike