Door lock knob too easy to pull out

My door lock still looks quite new after many years. But the knob is too easy to pull out. Somtimes I can even pull the knob off the "stem". It's probably easy to fix. But I can't figure out. I put a picture at

for any advice.

Yong

Reply to
yong321

See the rectangular slot on the top of the knob's shaft in the photo. A corresponding tab should click into this hole when the knob is attached. If the tab is misaligned or lost its spring and does not come up, the knob will not lock onto the shaft. Knobs are cheap, get a replacement if the tab is damaged.

Reply to
PipeDown

Or, if you've a drill handy, push the knob in all the way, drill an appropriate sized hole right through the knob shank and the steel below it and drive in a small self threading screw.

Because there's no locking stuff inside the shaft you don't have to worry about damaging anything with the drill bit or screw.

Works for me...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

those are junk, we've replaced ours with kwikset or better over the years.

Reply to
buffalobill

On the side of the stem is a little tab that is supposed to stick out. That goes into the hole in the side of the knob.

Push the knob on, and then line up the rectangle hole with the little tab. Push the little tab in. slide knob on until the little tab shows in the rectangle hole. Easier done than written.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon