Need help with a heavy punching bag mount "hack"

Hi, Im working on a special rig to mount my heavy bag in my garage. Basically I have a long metal bar and I need to mount it up close to the ceiling, there are no nearby walls so it will be mounted to beams (the goal is heavy bag will be able to roll back and forth on the bar). I have the metal bar but Im trying to improvise an off-the-shelf piece of hardware that will hold it on both sides (and can support the weight of the bag as well). So im looking for two strong "brackets" that will be screwed into the ceiling (into studs) and can hold the bar from either side. Any idas?
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:26:51 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Sketch it out and speak with a welding shop...they can build it. Explain how you intend to mount it. That's all Grasshopper!
Oren --
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

If you can use some plumbing pipes instead of the bar you have then you could make a mount with 3 pieces of pipe and 2 elbows and then mount that to the studs using 2 threaded pipe flanges like this: http://doitbest.com/Floor+flanges-B+K+Mueller-model-511-604BG-doitbest-sku-484733.dib
Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

I'd consider running 2x6 (or 2x8) up into the attic space. You could then screw or bolt the the 2x6 to the rafter in the attic, which would most likely be preferable to relying on screws run up into the bottom of the rafter.
Depending on which way you want the bar to run in relation to the rafters, you could either bore holes in the 2x6 to accept the ends of the metal bar or use brackets, heavy duty pipe strapping, or similar hardware to mount the bar to the face of the 2x6.
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:26:51 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

So in other words you want to hang your BOSS !!!!! :)