Hardwood floor repair: slight abrasion in poly

Hi all,

A furniture delivery guy left some light abrasion marks (streaks) on our new hardwood floor. The marks really aren't deep, but they are just enough that they jump out in the glare of the window reflection on the floor.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Reply to
ggd4865

They have insurance why not let them fix it

Reply to
ransley

I intend to let them fix it.

I'd like to know ahead of time what they might do and how effective it will be.

Will they just buff it out and, voila!, like new?

Reply to
ggd4865

on 1/16/2008 5:21 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

Reply to
willshak

Buff it out, polish it, wax it, etc.

Reply to
Robert Allison

First, how bad is it really? Are they just rub marks or is the floor actually indented and/or scratched?

I have had stuff dragged across my floor that left rub marks that initially looked like scratches. But they literally came right out with some lemon oil and the floor was good as new afterwards. Don't assume the worst right off the bat.

If the floor is really damaged, I would still evaluate how bad you think it is. My guess is that because it's a new floor, any little ding seems like the end of the world to you. I've gone through this myself plenty of times now. But look at any old hardwood floor (you know, the kind that has "character") and ask yourself how it got that way. There will be many, many scuff marks like this over the years and if you freak out every single time, you will drive yourself and everybody else around you insane. And you will have a house that looks like a showroom, not a home. You may as well just put the clear plastic covers on the furniture right now.

If they're actual scuffs but they're not deep, you might be able to just get a wood scratch repair product and fix them that way. I've done this too; those products work pretty well for light scratches and scuffs and you can get them at any grocery store.

If it is really worse than that, then I would call the delivery people and make them fix it. Don't try to fix it yourself if it's beyond a very light scuff or scratch; you want to preserve it so they see how bad it is.

But my experience in dealing with any company over something like this is that it's usually more trouble than it's worth, and in the end, they will do the minimum required until you go away and they will take six months to do even that much. So I wouldn't go that route unless it's pretty obvious and pretty bad.

It's best to either fix it yourself if you can, or just do your best and then don't worry so much about it.

Jeff

Reply to
basscadet75