Need curtains for door windos

I am looking to buy curtains for my front door window. I need them to be about 30" wide by at least 22" high. I don't see them in the stores, so about how much fabric should I buy to make one? Seems to me that most curtains don't go straight across, so I'd need more then the

30" plus whatever I would use to make a seam. But I don't know how much more. Any ideas?
Reply to
scott21230

If you take a sketch to any good fabric store, they should be able to help you with fabric sizing, type, etc., etc. Use some curtains you have as a guide to where seams, etc., should go, how much to leave for rods, etc. I'd address the rod and mounting issue first, and then design the curtains from there.

Reply to
professorpaul

They will be gathered on a rod, as opposed to pleated, right? typical fullness is 2 to 2 1/2 widths of fabric. More for sheer fabric. If you don't have a sewing machine (or a friend who owns one), you can buy them longer and have them shortened somewhere that does alterations. Or just let them hang below bottom of window. 30" length is pretty standard, if I recollect. Been a while since I bought curtains.

Reply to
Norminn

Did you check in the kitchen/bath area of a department type store for curtains? These will usually be shorter than those sold for living room/bedroom windows. You could always buy the longer curtains and have them shortened. Lots of dry cleaners have a seamstress who does alterations, just take in the curtains and say how long you want them.

What kind of fabric do you want? Solid or sheer? Fabric at the fabric store is usually 45" wide and 60" wide, if I remember correctly. Buy extra fabric to allow for shrinkage if you're going to want to wash them occasionally, and if so, wash the fabric before you make the curtain. (Same with any curtain you buy and have shortened.) Will you want the curtain to separate in the middle, meaning you'll need two panels, or just one panel to cover for privacy?

So if you want one panel in a solid fabric, on a 30" window, I think one length of 45" wide would be plenty; it'll bunch nicely, but not in too froufy of a way. I'd allow at least an extra 3" top and bottom (6" total) for the rod channel and a simple hem. So 28" should be enough length, you should be able to buy 7/8 of a yard. You can easily get a nice print for what, $5-6 a yard? Get two lengths if you want to have two curtains and be able to open them in the middle. If you go with a sheer fabric to let in more light, maybe see if there is something in a

60" width, which will bunch more, either in one or two panels.

I don't sew well enough to make clothes, but basic curtains and pillows and such are pretty simple. If you know anyone who sews, they could likely do it for you without too much trouble, or even set you up on a machine to do it yourself. It's not really the actual sewing that's that hard, as with most things, it's the preparation. Measure twice, cut once, and all that.

-Karen-

Reply to
dkhedmo

It depends on the style of curtains and the fullness you want. If the curtains are to be simply gathered on a rod, I always use at least 2-1/2 times the width. Also, allow plenty of extra fabric for the top (including a channel for the rod) and bottom (for a nice double hem if the curtains are sheer).

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

I assume this is 2 curtains you need? Are you planning to put a sash rod on the top and bottom. Door curtains are not as full as a shirred window curtain. If you are planning to put the sash rod both upper and lower. You will need 30" length for each curtain. with a 4" hem on both ends. 1 3/4 yards of 45 inch material. Make sure you measure were the rods will go on the material. So you know where to fold over for hems.

Within that four inch hem you will need a rod pocket in the middle of them.

Very hard to explain here unless you have sewed before. But you don't even have to sew them. They have this stuff they called Steam a Seam. For hems of all kinds. Fabric store can show you. You fold the material and slip this in between the hems and iron it. Washable .

I make my own drapes and all my own cutains. by usually sewing. But needed some fast tab top curtains before holdiays last year. Made 4 pairs of tab top curtains only using the Steam a seam.Curtains were

96" wide by 84" long. Worked out great. Only took me 2 hours.

If you have any questions e-mail me.

PJ

Reply to
Pat

I'd just thumbtack a large towel on the window, but that's just me.....

Reply to
maradcliff

________________________________________ x

---------------------------------------- y

---------------------------------------- y

---------------------------------------- x ________________________________________

If the OP will reply, it will be a little easier to offer solutions. Above schematic can be guide for sewing or altering curtains. Venetian blind might be simpler solution if no sewing machine available. Rods at top and bottom are preferable for doors so curtain stays in place. Double width is plenty unless a sheer fabric is used. If sheer fabric is used, 2 1/2 widths makes for better coverage. Percale - like a bed sheet - assures more privacy but lets light in; double width plenty. Double hem on each side, about 1/2 or 3/4".

x + y = hem. Hem should be doubled over. y = diameter of rod plus

1/2". Dotted lines are stitching lines. Rod goes through y channel sewn. w = window height plus 1" or whatever you choose; you don't want the rod in front of glass.

Pretty simple project if you have a sewing machine. Lots of sewing machine shops sell good used ones. They come in very handy.

Reply to
Norminn

Reply to
buffalobill

Answers to some of your questions:

No bottom rod, this curtain only needs to be 22" high. I have seen the type of which you speak, and those are more applicable to doors with huge windows. I can nt find a picture of the door online, sinc they probably stopped making ones that liiked like it in the 50's, but it only has 3 small windows in a diagonal fashion near the top, and anyone can see through the two lowest ones

No matching window treatments. All my other exterior doors have no windows. My windows have blinds.

Reply to
scott21230

Instead of curtains, have you thought about using something to etch the glass so light can get through but no one can see through them? There are chemical etching compounds as well as spray on and even something like contact paper. I think it would look better than the curtain, too.

Reply to
castinneford

Glue a japanese folding-fan to the side of each light.

Reply to
Goedjn

"castinneford" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

There is a product that clings to the window and looks like stained glass. I saw it in a friend's home where the houses are close together. She didn't want the neighbors looking into her house.

Here is an example:

Lisa BB.